PDA

View Full Version : Peace Talks Y'all!

Zea mays
2019-12-16, 06:27 PM
I believe the word is finally.
Yup. Publication date for the next Dresden Files book is July 14 2020 (https://www.tor.com/2019/12/16/jim-butchers-new-novel-peace-talks-will-publish-in-2020-for-the-20th-anniversary-of-the-dresden-files/). Let one and all rejoice in Harry's protracted suffering. Which I think I'm just about due to re-read.

Traab
2019-12-16, 06:39 PM
This sucks because i dont think I want to reread the series to remind me of events. This is what chased me away from wheel of time, too long between books meaning I would have to reread the series if I wanted any idea what was happening in the new one. Its why I hate getting into series before they are finished.

Mith
2019-12-16, 06:57 PM
This sucks because i dont think I want to reread the series to remind me of events. This is what chased me away from wheel of time, too long between books meaning I would have to reread the series if I wanted any idea what was happening in the new one. Its why I hate getting into series before they are finished.

You probably only need to re-read from Turn Coat to get all the major details, which makes it 5 books to read through.

Not saying it gets _all_ details, but I think that catches all the major story threads with callbacks to earlier developments as well.

Seerow
2019-12-16, 07:57 PM

And see the excuse to reread is my biggest draw to an in progress series. As long as progress is actually being made.

But man just a week ago I put in a request for vacation time for stormlight 4, and now this. Some of my favorite authors are conspiring to keep me from doing anything else next year.

Lemmy
2019-12-16, 08:01 PM
Dresden Files books generally have only about 1 or 2 years intervals between them. Peace Talks was an exceptional case, because among other complications, Jim Butcher got through a divorce, moved to a different state, married again, etc.

tomandtish
2019-12-16, 09:20 PM
Dresden Files books generally have only about 1 or 2 years intervals between them. Peace Talks was an exceptional case, because among other complications, Jim Butcher got through a divorce, moved to a different state, married again, etc.

A rumor that was going around, and CLAIMED to be based on something Jim said, was that as part of the divorce his wife got part of the profits from a certain number of his upcoming works. So he concentrated mostly on short stories and comics.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

Lemmy
2019-12-16, 09:51 PM
A rumor that was going around, and CLAIMED to be based on something Jim said, was that as part of the divorce his wife got part of the profits from a certain number of his upcoming works. So he concentrated mostly on short stories and comics.

I suppose that could be the case, but it does sound very... Made up.

I think between divorce, moving quite far, having a second marriage, starting another book series (Cinder Spires) and gods know what else, that's more than enough reason to delay a book by 3~4 years.

Keltest
2019-12-16, 10:20 PM
Dang, a day after my birthday. Still, wonderful news!

Lord Raziere
2019-12-17, 12:35 AM
Aaaaaw yeah, Dresden Files be coming Ba-AAAACK! I've been missing my snarky wizard detective, though what the author reportedly has went though its real understandable why it took so long. I'm just glad that its gonna be back.

Eldan
2019-12-17, 07:05 AM
Time to put the audio books on again.

GrayDeath
2019-12-17, 09:47 AM
Fuuugging finally! Yesss!

And 11 days before my birthday to boot, and in (almost every year) summer vacation.
Gonna not do much except read that book (and, if the pronouncement holds, Stormlight Archives 4) for a Weekish.

Also, dang, didnt hear all the deatails on why it took so long. Ouch.

Eldan
2019-12-17, 10:07 AM
Honestly not that excited for Stormlight 4. My memories of Stormlight 3 are a bit hazy, but I remember it as a bit of a mess, with tons and tons of new stuff thrown into the mix* that I didn't feel like it got proper space to develop. And it felt like other more interesting stuff (conspiracies, politics) was getting edged out by more superpowered heroics.

*Other worlds, heralds returning, Unmade

JNAProductions
2019-12-17, 02:19 PM
Ooh, more Dresden Files! YAY!

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-12-19, 05:22 PM
And see the excuse to reread is my biggest draw to an in progress series. As long as progress is actually being made.

But man just a week ago I put in a request for vacation time for stormlight 4, and now this. Some of my favorite authors are conspiring to keep me from doing anything else next year.

Yes, between these two books I have a lot of remembering that needs to be done.

Velaryon
2019-12-19, 11:30 PM

Well, this is the first time I've ever heard of this rumor, for whatever that's worth.

I suppose that could be the case, but it does sound very... Made up.

I think between divorce, moving quite far, having a second marriage, starting another book series (Cinder Spires) and gods know what else, that's more than enough reason to delay a book by 3~4 years.

I believe there was also something about how the new house he was going to move into wasn't ready on time thanks to contractor problems, which caused him to have to live somewhere without a private writing space for quite awhile.