PDA

View Full Version : TV Angela In Guardian In The Galaxy Cartoon Series?

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-16, 06:53 PM
Is this the same Angela from Spawn? I was watching an episode of Guardian Of The Galaxy Cartoon series and I saw Angela who happen to be Thor sister? I was very surprised and shock that Angela is in the Marvel Universe now. :eek:

comicshorse
2019-12-16, 07:04 PM
Is this the same Angela from Spawn? I was watching an episode of Guardian Of The Galaxy Cartoon series and I saw Angela who happen to be Thor sister? I was very surprised and shock that Angela is in the Marvel Universe now. :eek:

Apparently it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_(comics)

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-16, 07:06 PM
Apparently it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_(comics)

I don't really trust Wikipedia but it's very accurate from what I can't tell.

Ramza00
2019-12-16, 07:55 PM

Probably...more or less. I haven't watched the Guardians of the Galaxy Cartoon series so let me just speak about 616 and Spawn.

But there is a Neil Gaiman character as writer, and Todd McFarlane as artist. Angela. This Angela first appears as Spawn in 1993, but was "backported" into Marvel when Neil Gaiman sold the character to Marvel. So since 2013 we have seen an Angela character in marvel properties. [See the edit below if you want the quick summary of the legal fight.]

And even though she has only been in Marvel 616 for 6 years now since 2013 she has over 70 appearances in various comics not just a single book, and one of the series she appears in is Guardians of the Galaxy run from 2013 to 2015 (this is known as "Volume 3" of Guardians since they have launched and canceled Guardians the comic book name several times.)

Angela in Marvel (the Neil Gaiman character) has an origin story of being Odin's first born child prior to Thor, prior to Loki, prior to all his other children in 616. Yet due to comic book lore it is a little complicated the short of it is there used to be 10 Asgardian Realms, and the 10th realm was Heven, the realm of the Angels. Well stuff went down that I am skipping and Odin decided to sever the 10th realm Heven from the World's Tree and that is why we barely hear of Heven in 616 lore though we have some of their cosmology of Heven in 616 myths involving Angels and so on.

The precipitating event prior ot the severing of 10th realm Heven from the world tree was Angela (also known as Aldrif Odinsdottir) was kidnapped and Angela is the first born child of Odin and Freyja (Freyja is Thor's step mom in 616 with Gaia being his actual mother.) The choice was I would kill your child or you must surrender your realm. Odin refused to surrender and thus the Angels appeared to kill Angela but in reality just raised her in their realm, and Odin severed the 10th realm from the 9 other realms in 616.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now I am not talking about all the stories Angela has been in and like I said before it is several of them for she is in 70+ comics in 6 years, but that is the entry point for this Neil Gaiman character in 616. Her story really starts in the Original Sins arc of 2014 but she is first literally seen in 2013's Age of Ultron comic event.

But yeah same character more or less as Spawn, with the same creator Neil Gaiman and he sold the rights to her to Marvel and thus you have a similar situation of Charleston Comic characters entering DC such as Captain Adam, Owlman, The Question and so on. [Aka the characters that DC besides importing into DC with their various events and retcons, Alan Moore also made very similar characters for Watchmen in 1986.]

Edit: Forgot to mention there was a 10+ year legal dispute between Neil Gaiman character as writer, and Todd McFarlane as artist over the rights of Angela and other characters Neil Gaiman created that were in the Spawn Universe. The legal dispute was whether Neil Gaiman co-created various creations, or did the rights exist exclusively with Todd McFarlane and Neil Gaiman was a contractor for hire. [Yes this is similar to other legal disputes of the 1960s to 2000s of various comic book writers and artists.] In addition Todd was not paying Neil for some of his 2000s image work, and royalties on previous stuff. Well after 10 year court case Neil Gaiman effectively won, and the short of it the court said they both own various character and as soon as the ownership rights of various characters were settled they did an out of court settlement where they swapped rights of various characters. Neil Gaiman got Angela and less than a year later he sold the Angela rights to Marvel and she was quickly inserted into Marvel stories.