PDA

View Full Version : The Dominion v.s The Centauri

ArlEammon
2007-10-20, 02:54 PM
Ok. So, were talking about a bunch of sci fi stuff nowadays here.
I like Babylon 5. I like Star Trek (ecspecially the TNG/DS9 era)

I was wondering. How the Dominion, from Star Trek, would do against the Centauri, also one of my favorite sci fi races.

The Dominion is huge..... Apparently it has ten times as many ships as the Federation. The Dominion has an endless supply of Jem'hadar soldiers....

But, in B5, we witness the Centauri making mincemeat out of the League of Non-Aligned worlds. At least half a dozen races attempting to defeat the Centauri didn't work, and I don't even remember how they finally beat them.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-10-20, 03:09 PM
My instinct says the Dominion. It took the entire combined fleets of the Federation, the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Empire and Cardassian turncoats to achieve a narrow victory over the Dominion fleet. They would have had very few ships left after the battle over Cardassia Prime itself had they not managed to negotiate a peace. And all of this was but a small part of the Dominion's indomitable power. We were only looking at a part of the Dominion's fleet, and only the interference of the Founders and the ingenuity of the self-replicating minefield over the Wormhole kept the Dominion from simply overrunning the entire Alpha Quadrant.

But I haven't watched nearly as much B5 as DS9 (the former was a long time ago, the latter was very recently), and I absolutely love the Dominion, so I'm very biased here.

ArlEammon
2007-10-20, 03:18 PM
While I would favor the Dominion also, I have a feeling Centauri Prime would not be so easily defeated. The entire League of Non-Aligned Worlds were on the losing streak with Centauri Prime, and the Centauri cutting weapons sound like they have a chance to penetrate Star Trek shields.

comicshorse
2007-10-20, 07:02 PM
Dominion have teleporters, a genetically enginered warrior force capable of cloaking themselves and ONE fleet that could take on the Fedearation, Romulans and Klingons.
Sorry I like the Centauri but they're going home in the back of an ambulance

Winterwind
2007-10-20, 08:35 PM
I very, very, very, very,..... very much prefer Babylon 5 to Star Trek, and the Centauri to the Dominion. Still, I must say that in my opinion the Centauri would not stand any chance whatsoever.

One, there are no shields in the Babylon 5 universe - the Centauri ships would be instantly torn apart when hit. Conversely, their fire at the Dominion ships would hardly accomplish anything.

Second, unlike Babylon 5 ships, Star Trek ships can target objects in the real space while moving at superluminal speeds - which basically means they could blast the Centauri apart while never presenting themselves as a target.

Three, the Dominion has, or at least that's my impression, extremely superior numbers.

Four, the Centauri are internally unstable and prone to political intrigues - which is exactly what shapeshifters wish for if they want to destabilise an enemy empire.

No, I don't see how the Centauri could manage to win. Actually, I don't even see them destroying a single enemy ship.