PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class Concept: Flashy Swordsman

Username
2007-10-20, 03:17 PM
The idea would be to make a 5 level prestige class, at each level you would receive a flashy technique which you would design yourself, with each successive technique you'd be given more points with which you could purchase various attributes for the technique. I imagine the techniques would work something like Maneuvers out of Tome of Battle since that'd be the closest parallel. So in essence the class would let you make your own maneuvers and decide how they look, what they do, etc.

My trouble is that while I've got this concept down solidly I'm having a bit of writer's block on how the point system should work, or how exactly these custom maneuvers should work (mainly because I do not own Tome of Battle). Also dunno what to do for HD, skills, etc., though I imagine it would get full BAB.

Anyone care to take this idea and flesh it out more? I'd be quite thankful, I think the idea has potential, especially cause you can get really cheesy and/or bizarre with how your techniques look.

Username
2007-10-21, 02:23 PM
Any suggestions? I wonder how I should have the point system work...

1 point for 1D6 damage and work from there, determining different effects by their value compared to xD6 damage?

DracoDei
2007-10-21, 04:09 PM
Sounds like an ambitious project...
Would offer suggestions, but don't have ToB...
Best of luck...

Neftren
2007-10-21, 05:52 PM
Actually, I'd really like to see the Flashing Swordsman PrC that Elan takes from Captain Scoundrél...

Vadin
2007-10-21, 08:21 PM
Just a thought on how this could work:
X times per encounter, the swordsman may add Xd6 damage of an elemental type to their regular hit.
Or, also X times per encounter, they can make one extra attack at a penalty of 5 minus their level in the prestige class as a swift action.

In both cases, X would equal their level in the prestige class, or some other number. Not too high, but also probably not just once. Between 2 and 5, I'd say. Perhaps letting it scale up, so their last ability is once per encounter and their first ability ends up at 5 times per encounter.

An option to combine previous forms would also be interesting, like instead of having a level 5 form, you could combine your level 1 swift action attack at a -4 penalty with your level 4 4d6 electricity damage strike. This would allow a swift attack at a -4 penalty that deals 4d6 electricity damage usable 5 times per encounter.

Obviously, it would need more options than just that, but I think you see where I'm going with this.

DracoDei
2007-10-21, 09:28 PM
Actually, I'd really like to see the Flashing Swordsman PrC that Elan takes from Captain Scoundrél...
It is DASHING Swordsman, and someone already did it. Actually been done at least twice it seems...
The one that got the most response is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29882).

The other my search came up with is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31137).

Mr.Moron
2007-10-22, 01:20 AM
This is a rough version of one possible approach. I posted something simliar earlier and deleted it, simply because it was too rushed. This hardly meant to be anything final, just a way to illustrate a possible approach to the concept.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +?
Feats: Weapon Focus(Any)

Flashy Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Signature Technique

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Improve Signature Technique

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Improve Signature Technique
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improve Signature Technique

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improve Signature Technique[/table]

Signature Technique
At the 1st level the Flashy Warrior chooses one weapon with for which he has the Weapon Focus feat, he develops a signature technique he can only use with that kind of weapon. He chooses two attributes from the list of "Technique Attributes" for the Signature Technique to have. Using his signature technique takes a great deal of focus an coordination, after using it he must have 5 minutes of uninterrupted time to meditate or practice in peace before using it again.

Improved Signature Techique
At each level beyond the 1st, the Flashy Warrior may improve his signature technique by choosing one additional attribute for it to have from the list of technique attributes.

Technique Attributes

Mighty Blow: The Signature Technique causes an extra 1d8 damage of the same type the weapon normally causes. This attribute may be selected multiple times, adding an extra 1d8 damage each time.

Energetic Blow: Select one type of energy, the signature technique deals an extra 1d6 damage of the energy type selected. This may be selected multiple times, adding an energy type or improving an existing damage type.

Accurate Blow: The Signature technique gains a +2 bonus on the attack roll. This attribute be selected multiple times, each time adding an extra +2 bonus on the attack roll.

Signature Mastery: You may use your signature technique one additional time between before having to rest or practice for 5 minutes. This attribute may be selected multiple times, gaining one additional use of your signature technique each time.

Wide Arc: The attack made with the Signature technique may hit one additional target adjacent to the primary target, if that target is within your normal reach.

Swift Strike: When the signature technique is used on an attack that is part of a full attack action, you gain an additional attack at the same attack bonus as the attack the signature technique was used on.

Again, these abilities weren't really too well considered for balance or usability. It's just meant to speculate on a possible mechanic for this.

kpenguin
2007-10-22, 01:25 AM

Actually, Scoundrel taught Elan to be a Dashing Swordsman. He already knew how to be a flashing swordsman (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html).

Neftren
2007-10-22, 08:34 AM
Fine, I was close :P.

Mr. Moron, I hope you don't mind if I make a few edits to your established template?

Neftren
2007-10-22, 08:58 AM
The Dashing Swordsman

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +6/+1
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Dodge
Skills: 4 Ranks in Tumble, 4 Ranks in Jump, 4 Ranks in Balance

Class Information:
Base Attack Bonus: Good
Fortitude Save: Poor
Reflex Save: Good
Will Save: Good

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d4
Class Skills:
Class Skills: The Dashing Swordsman's class skills and their corresponding ability modifiers are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Signature Strike

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Signature Counter

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Improved Signature Strike

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Improved Signature Counter

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+5|

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+5|Master Signature Strike

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+6|Master Signature Counter

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Ultimate Duelist[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
The Dashing Swordsman is proficient with all simple weapons and Rapiers, but no armor or shields. If a Dashing Swordsman uses armor or shields, he loses his maneuverability and as such, cannot use his signature moves.

Signature Moves:
A Dashing Swordsman is a master of the blades. Using complex strikes and fencing prowess, he will destroy his opponents with style and flair. At 1st, 4th and 7th level, a Dashing Swordsman may learn one of the signature strikes below. A signature strike is usable multiple times, and may be combined with other moves to produce a flowing offense and defense. At 2nd, 5th and 8th level, a Dashing Swordsman learns to defend himself, and go on the offense at the same time. He learns to use one of the Signature Counter moves below at the stated levels. Eventually, a Dashing Swordsman will learn to sequence these moves in time with a battle, creating his own signature move that will be recognized throughout the world.

To create your signature technique, select a strike from the list below at first level. That will be the beginning of your technique. You may only make one strike per round at your highest base attack bonus, although you may make additional attacks afterwards provided your base attack bonus is high enough. As you progress in skill, you may select a second and third technique. To use your combined strikes, expend a full round action to combine the attack into a flawless strike. When you use a Signature Strike, you gain a +5 Insight Bonus to your attack Roll. Your flashy style also allows you to roll your damage twice, and add half the second die roll to your first die roll's damage. The insight bonus may not be used to power attack.

Signature Strikes:
--Jab
--Feint
--Lunge
--Twist

Signature Counters:
--Riposte
--Roundabout
--Parry
--Twirl

Ultimate Duelist:
At 10th Level, a Dashing Swordsman may combine any two of his signature strikes into a single, devastating attack, in addition to the bonuses below. The Dashing Swordsman makes a full attack action, but only strikes a single time, using his highest attack bonus. During this single strike, the Dashing Swordsman gains a +20 Insight Bonus to his attack roll, all damage he deals with that attack is tripled and the Dashing Swordsman may then move 10 feet away as an immediate action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Design Notes:

I will update Strikes and Counters once I think about them.

Yes, Ultimate duelist may seem unfair, but think about it, a +3 Rapier means that you attack for 23 + Weapon Finesse. Damage would be (1d6+3)x3 = 18 Damage At Most. This is a 10 level PrC, and is basically entered in at level 6, possibly higher, so the characters would be level 16 by then.

I'm considering giving them the Skirmish ability that Scouts have, although that might be a little too good.

Neftren
2007-10-22, 09:20 AM
Okay, I know I'm a bit vague on the writing and specifics, I'll fix it when I get back home. I'm speed typing to get the basic gist out. Yes, I know I made it 10 levels, but that means more of a buffer between strikes and counters. Not to mention Ultimate Duelist :)

Mr.Moron
2007-10-22, 09:54 AM
Fine, I was close :P.

Mr. Moron, I hope you don't mind if I make a few edits to your established template?

Certainly not, It was just meant as an illustration! It's hardly anything I'm too attached to, your version certainly looks a bit more refined. Though I think perhaps it's getting away from the original idea purposed. He was talking about a 5-level full BaB class. To me that speaks more of a "Heavy Weapon/Armor" type, perhaps even complete with Saturday-AM style battle cries. Your particular version seems to be a bit more like a dandy fencer than anything else.

Neftren
2007-10-22, 11:03 AM
Well you don't exactly look flashy when you're just wearing heavy armor and wielding a freaking greatsword... I mean you look cool when you're swirling your sword around confusing the opponent... I mean, that's what Jack Sparrow and Zorro type characters do to look awesome :). If you want heavy armor stuff, go be a dwarf champion or something...

Mr.Moron
2007-10-22, 11:07 AM
Well you don't exactly look flashy when you're just wearing heavy armor and wielding a freaking greatsword... I mean you look cool when you're swirling your sword around confusing the opponent... I mean, that's what Jack Sparrow and Zorro type characters do to look awesome :). If you want heavy armor stuff, go be a dwarf champion or something...

There is a difference between flashy and fancy. Flashy simply means over the top, making a display of it! It doesn't matter how slow you're moving you can still be flashy! If you have a big ol' axe that erupts into flame and lightning and splits something in two, that's flashy even if you do it with all the grace of a drunken water fowl. What I think you've presented is largely a fancy swordsman, which while one sort of flashy isn't the only sort of flashy.

Neftren
2007-10-22, 11:10 AM
Well... fancy and overly complicated stuff does tend to look somewhat better when applied to blade combat. I have a very low opinion for someone who swings around a big ol' greatsword with a flaming enchant on it. The rapier can flame too... for cheaper.

Mr.Moron
2007-10-22, 11:21 AM
Well... fancy and overly complicated stuff does tend to look somewhat better when applied to blade combat. I have a very low opinion for someone who swings around a big ol' greatsword with a flaming enchant on it. The rapier can flame too... for cheaper.

Oh come on now! Things can look neat without the poor guy having to wear tights and use wimpy(by fantasy standards anyway) sword. Perhaps a straight enchant might not be the greatest thing in the world, but when a guy can make his big two-handed weapon erupt with energy and hit twice as hard just because it's him swinging it, well that is something!

I also think that a more generalized concept has the advantage of flexibility. Keep a free structure and add technique attributes that can represent all kinds of concepts, and you can just as easily do the quick/frail fighter as you can anything else.

Simply slap on a technique attribute that would make a add a few cunning moves to the Signature Technique in the fluff, give the appropriate bonus and a "Light Weapon" requirement. Presto! Give that chap a cape and mask, and he is doin' it up Zorro style.

EDIT: Granted, the saves are a bit of an issue but I'm sure there is a way to get two good saves on this sort of class and remain balanced.

I think with something like this customization is really the name of the game in the long run. After all, the OP's core idea was that the individual was making their own moves, suited to them. I think a class like the one you have presented is defined too narrowly to really be true master of a personal style.

EDIT: I made a lot of minor edits, I really shouldn't post in such a rush!

Vadin
2007-10-22, 03:56 PM
Mind if I take a crack at it? It occurred to me that expanding it into a 10-level prestige class and placing some limits on it might be the first step in (possibly) making this a 20 level base class (maybe). Also, it might be a good idea to let the flashy warrior choose which save to make his good save. The staff-wielding sage could then have good will, while the fast-paced swash-buckler could have good reflex.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Weapon Focus(Any)

Flashy Warrior

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Signature Technique A, Distracting Flourish
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Improve Signature Technique A
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Signature Technique B
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improve Signature Technique A
5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improve Signature Technique B
6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Signature Technique C
7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Improve Signature Technique A
8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Improve Signature Technique B
9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Improve Signature Technique C
10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Improve Signature Technique A, B, and C[/table]

Signature Technique
At the 1st level the Flashy Warrior chooses one weapon with for which he has the Weapon Focus feat, he develops a signature technique he can only use with that kind of weapon. He chooses two attributes from the list of "Technique Attributes" for the Signature Technique to have. Using his signature technique takes a great deal of focus an coordination. After using all of the uses per encounter available for the given technique, he must have 5 minutes of uninterrupted time to meditate or practice in peace before using it again. He may use Signature Technique A a number of times per encounter equal to 1/2 his class level (rounded down, minimum 1), Signature Technique B a number of times per encounter equal to 1/3 his class level (rounded down, minimum 1), and Signature Technique C a number of times per encounter equal to 1/4 his class level (rounded down, minimum 1). After using up all techniques during an encounter, the Flashy Swordsman may spend a full-round action to gain his techniques back as though the combat had just begun.

Distracting Flourish (Ex)
The Flashy Swordsman gains a number of points equal to his Charisma modifier (up to 1/2 his class level rounded up) when fighting unarmored or in light armor. These points may be distributed between his damage and his AC in any manner he sees fit, and reallocating points takes a full-round action.

Improved Signature Technique
At each level beyond the 1st, the Flashy Warrior may improve his signature techniques by choosing one additional attribute for it to have from the list of technique attributes. Unless the given limit is less, the Flashy Warrior may not select a given improvement more than 3 times.

Technique Attributes

Mighty Blow: The Signature Technique causes an extra 1d8 damage of the same type the weapon normally causes. This attribute may be selected multiple times, adding an extra 1d8 damage each time.

Energetic Blow: Select one type of energy. The signature technique deals an extra 1d6 damage of the energy type selected. This may be selected multiple times, adding an energy type or improving an existing damage type.

Accurate Blow: The Signature technique gains a +2 bonus on the attack roll. This attribute be selected multiple times, each time adding an extra +2 bonus on the attack roll.

Refreshing Blow: If the Signature technique hits, the Flashy Warrior is healed 1d4 hit points for every 10 points of damage dealt. This attribute may only be selected once.

Signature Mastery: You may use your signature technique one additional time between before having to rest or practice for 5 minutes. This attribute may be selected multiple times, gaining one additional use of your signature technique each time.

Wide Arc: The attack made with the Signature technique may hit one additional target adjacent to the primary target, if that target is within your normal reach. This may only be selected once.

Swift Strike: When the signature technique is used on an attack that is part of a full attack action, you gain an additional attack at the same attack bonus as the attack the signature technique was used on. This attribute may only be selected once.

Vadin
2007-10-22, 04:40 PM
A comparison in power: Signature Strike A at level 10 will have 6 upgrades. If the weapon chosen is a longsword, we start with 1d8 base damage. Applying 3 mighty blow (+3d8) and 3 energetic blow (+3d6) improvements, we get a 4d8+3d6 attack usable 5 times per encounter. This averages out to ~25 (min. damage: 7, max. damage: 50) damage a hit. By this point in time, the character is at least level 16.

The level 16 rogue is doing +8d6 damage per sneak attack, usable every round so long as the rogue is flanking. If we're using a shortsword, we're doing 9d6 damage for an average of ~27 (min. 9 damage, max: 54) damage a hit.

We won't even get into spellcasters here, but they're damage outputs at level 16 are, suffice to say, a tad higher.

I'd say this character is powerful enough to make having a fighter or other primary melee character more useful at higher levels without having him be overpowered.

Vadin
2007-10-28, 02:02 PM
(Bump for some other critique?)

Yeril
2007-10-28, 05:22 PM
How about a Benifit when armored? I can't imagine Elan is wearing armor right now so perhaps a Cha to AC similar to Monks.

Vadin
2007-10-29, 08:19 PM
Would this be a balanced 1st level ability in addition to his first signature technique?

Distracting Eccentricities (Ex): The Flashy Swordsman may add his Charisma modifier up to 1/2 his class level rounded up when fighting unarmored or in light armor.

Neftren
2007-10-29, 08:23 PM
Is this to Damage or to AC?

elliott20
2007-10-30, 09:00 AM
it feels... kind of like a ToB lite.

Vadin
2007-10-30, 05:22 PM
Yeah, the OP said he wanted a ToB-esque class. IMO, a base class sort of like this would be a great bridge for players who like ToB and DMs who aren't sure about power level.

Vadin
2007-12-26, 12:31 AM
Is this to Damage or to AC?

Both/Either.

Elathron
2008-01-07, 09:59 AM
I started a my own avatar d20 about year ago and gave up on it, I ve seen the bending classes most promising, for the non bending classes I think best to use "Iron Heroes" which is a setting based on a non magical world so the classes are up to the challendge.

Rigon
2008-01-07, 07:49 PM
I would really remove the restrictions for equipment. So we could have many different looking Flashy Swordsmen around (Maybe even unique self designed weapons/gear for each one).

Flashy Technique(Ex):
At the beginning of each round in battle the flashy swordsman(FS) does a bluff check versus the highest sense motive of the opponents. on success the FS gains +1 bonus to attack, AC and +1d6 nonlethal damage for each attack made that round. If the difference between two flashy bluff checks done in the same round is equal to or bigger than 10 then the FS of the lower check gains no bonus that round. An ammount equal to charisma bonus is healed of the nonlethal damage done by this ability at the beginning of each round but if the target loses consciousness the nonlethal damage is healed normally. At each level this is increased by one (+2/+2d6 on CL2, +3/+3D6 on CL3...).
(I would say that the BAB should be 3/4 with this feat.)
in "lethal" battle the nonlethal damage does not apply.

Vadin
2008-01-07, 08:15 PM
Elatharon: :smallconfused:

Rigon: I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do with that ability there. Maybe if you describe it out in plain English, we can try and figure out what you mean to do mechanically.