PDA

View Full Version : How to build Inigo Montoya with all the current books

VaporMaus
2019-12-17, 08:23 PM
How would you build Inigo Montoya with all the current books? Zealot Barb 5/Battlemaster Rogue 15? I got invited to play a new game with some friends and wanted to try Inigo Montoya, but want to be as authentic to the book and movie as possible. Thank you in advance.

Sigreid
2019-12-17, 08:34 PM
I'd see if you can get the DM to let you play an open hand monk with rapier as one of your monk weapons.

Evaar
2019-12-17, 09:34 PM
Swashbuckler Rogue, naturally, and then probably Samurai Fighter. I don't think Barbarian is needed - the infamous "comeback" scene can be characterized as Second Wind and Fighting Spirit rather than him entering a Rage. He's still finesse-based, which wouldn't really work for a Rage.

Dueling Fighting Style of course. There's no good reason not to use a shield, but work with your DM on that.

I'd probably focus more on Fighter levels than Rogue, but you could make a case either way.

Spo
2019-12-17, 10:22 PM
I'd see if you can get the DM to let you play an open hand monk with rapier as one of your monk weapons.

I second the monk approach but with kensei (make rapier your weapon) and variant human with mobile feat and then pick up defensive duelist feat later on.

The above will make you nimble and fast and not needing armor or a shield.

J-H
2019-12-17, 10:53 PM
Swashbuckler with 3 levels of Battlemaster Fighter for some maneuvers, second wind, and action surge.

dragoeniex
2019-12-17, 10:56 PM
Swashbuckler rogue: 1v1 duels are rewarded as much as usual rogue tactics, and you do them with an extra bit of flair. Compel duels later on, impress foes with your single-minded pursuit of the blade now.

Dip Battlemaster: Pick a few of your favorite techniques. Inigo could pull most of these off pretty well, and these are your moments to throw a trick and a quip in between jabs. Action surge for righteous fury or for those times you really need to run down cowardly father-killers who got a head start on you. Dueling for fighting style, naturally. Go full Rogue after 3 if you prefer, or keep going to pick up Extra Attack.

Variant Human: Tough. Not the most optimal choice ever, but strong on anyone and improving with time. Picking this because I like it equating to getting stabbed in a probably-should-be-lethal way, then staggering forward to slay your foe anyway because they thought you'd go down as easily as your standard rogue. And while your physical prowess gets a solid boost, it does nothing to help your con saves keep you from getting plastered. Perfect for rock-bottom benders!

Languages: get Gnomish and Giant. You've traveled with some memorable blokes.

Proficiency or Expertise: Athletics and Acrobatics for all the jumping onto and off of things impressively mid-fight.

There are a fair few ways you can tailor this to your tastes, and this base should give you a great start. :smallsmile: I'm running a Swashbuckler/Battlemaster currently (though differing from suggestions here), and that power set really makes you feel like a master fencer.

ad_hoc
2019-12-18, 12:08 AM
Inigo is a Vengeance Paladin. He is THE Vengeance Paladin.

He has not only sworn an oath of vengeance he is driven by it. He uses his Divine Sense to find the Pit of Despair. When he is impaled by a dagger he uses Lay on Hands to heal himself.

BoringInfoGuy
2019-12-18, 12:42 AM

He has not only sworn an oath of vengeance he is driven by it. He uses his Divine Sense to find the Pit of Despair. When he is impaled by a dagger he uses Lay on Hands to heal himself.
A compelling case there.

GreyBlack
2019-12-18, 01:55 AM
(...)

Languages: get Gnomish and Giant. You've traveled with some memorable blokes.

(...)

I see what you did there....

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-12-18, 01:59 AM
How would you build Inigo Montoya with all the current books? Zealot Barb 5/Battlemaster Rogue 15? I got invited to play a new game with some friends and wanted to try Inigo Montoya, but want to be as authentic to the book and movie as possible. Thank you in advance.

His famous fight where he says *that* line a lot is just a Fighter using second wind and intimidation.

Corran
2019-12-18, 06:20 AM
Based on an old post that stuck with me, I'd say bladesinger (though a dex based EK could work too; as well as most dex based gish builds, eg vengeance paly). Yeah yeah, Inigo Montoya has no magic, but some liberties can be justified since you are changing settings. Why I'd want magic? Imagine dueling an enemy.

Inigo: ''I admit it, you are better than I am.''
Not-Westley: ''Then why are you smiling?''
Inigo: ''Because I know something you don't know.''
Not-Westley: ''And what is that?''
Inigo: ''I am not just a fencer.'' *casts powerful spell*

And hope that the one you are fighting wont say ''I am not just a fencer either'' and cast counterspell.

Otherwise, swashbuckler, maybe with a dip in battlemaster for some maneuvers to represent his study of fencing.

da newt
2019-12-18, 07:40 AM
Swashbuckler for sure. Battlemaster maybe but he has no gift for strategy, - I'd make a case for Drunken Master too.

BTW, the book version is worth a read too.

Brookshw
2019-12-18, 07:45 AM
So what would people choose for the background?

Sigreid
2019-12-18, 07:55 AM

Far traveller

micahaphone
2019-12-18, 09:27 AM

He's kind of an outlaw/pirate at the beginning of the film, wouldn't you say? Either a criminal background if you're not taking Rogue levels, or pirate background if you are.

ad_hoc
2019-12-18, 09:35 AM
His famous fight where he says *that* line a lot is just a Fighter using second wind and intimidation.

Intimidation is not class specific and it is just a skill. You don't "use it on someone".

He is using his Vow of Enmity: "As a bonus action, you can utter a vow of enemy against a creature..."

Inigo is such a Vengeance Paladin that I think they based the subclass on him.

da newt
2019-12-18, 10:12 AM
I love the "VOW of ENEMY!"

He's not a Sailor/pirate (until later). He's a merc / swordsman - Soldier background or maybe Folk Hero or Urchin (lost his father early).

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-12-18, 10:17 AM
Intimidation is not class specific and it is just a skill. You don't "use it on someone".

He is using his Vow of Enmity: "As a bonus action, you can utter a vow of enemy against a creature..."

Inigo is such a Vengeance Paladin that I think they based the subclass on him.

Never said intimidate was class specific. He's using it while using a class specific feature. Bonus Action Second Wind, Action for Intimidate.

He's healing himself after being stabbed, he should have been taken out with that stab.

ad_hoc
2019-12-18, 10:24 AM
Never said intimidate was class specific. He's using it while using a class specific feature. Bonus Action Second Wind, Action for Intimidate.

He's healing himself after being stabbed, he should have been taken out with that stab.

But the goal here is not to just make a generic character. We want to make choices which emulate Inigo.

Vow of Enmity is far more appropriate than Intimidate, which Paladins are generally better at than Fighters too.

Lay on Hands also makes more sense than Second Wind as he puts his hand to his wound to heal it. He didn't get the wind knocked out of him. He was stabbed.

stoutstien
2019-12-18, 10:29 AM
This is one of the strongest point of 5e. You have a concept you want to emulate and you have countless ways to do it. Inigo could be anything from a Paladin to a sword bard and they all work.

ad_hoc
2019-12-18, 10:31 AM
This is one of the strongest point of 5e. You have a concept you want to emulate and you have countless ways to do it. Inigo could be anything from a Paladin to a sword bard and they all work.

This would apply to most fantasy RPGs. Some ways work better than other ways.

stoutstien
2019-12-18, 10:36 AM
This would apply to most fantasy RPGs. Some ways work better than other ways.

I think 5e takes the Cake due to how easy it is do it from either direction. Where just about any game you can go concept> class in 5e you can easily apply any concept to any class and it works.

Petrocorus
2019-12-18, 11:36 AM
From a purely fluf PoV, Inigo strike me much more as a warrior of some sort than as a scoundrel.

He is Dex based, and do work in illegal ways, but he's obsessed with vengeance, and seems to specialize in fighting rather than stealth, thieving, and other roguish stuff.

So, i would rather go Battlemaster or Samurai, with maybe a few Rogue level than the contrary.

The fluffs of the Monk and the Paladin don't fit him IMHO. He's obsessed with his own vengeance, and doesn't seemed to be all about self-discipline.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-18, 12:19 PM
From a purely fluf PoV, Inigo strike me much more as a warrior of some sort than as a scoundrel.

He is Dex based, and do work in illegal ways, but he's obsessed with vengeance, and seems to specialize in fighting rather than stealth, thieving, and other roguish stuff.

So, i would rather go Battlemaster or Samurai, with maybe a few Rogue level than the contrary.

The fluffs of the Monk and the Paladin don't fit him IMHO. He's obsessed with his own vengeance, and doesn't seemed to be all about self-discipline.

Agreed. He's not "Superhuman fast", he's "Battle Fast". And there are a lot of ways of being "Battle Fast" in 5e.

I think a Battlemaster would suit perfectly. He doesn't have the lethality factor that a Samurai Fighter has, he doesn't necessarily flee like a Swashbuckler. Rather, he uses his wit and fights the fights he knows he can win, or creates a winning scenario. He outmatches his opponents rather than dancing around them or making skirmish attacks.

Just a simple Dex-based melee Battlemaster with the Dueler feat. Maybe 3 levels in Swashbuckler, if mostly as a way of using his natural charm of being the Dread Pirate.

GlenSmash!
2019-12-18, 12:26 PM
Inigo has spent every possible moment of his life pursuing mastery of the rapier. He tracked down every master he could find, studied any writings of any master he could find etc. Unfortunately he had to pay the bills too so he has spent a lot of time as a hired fighter as well.

By the time we see him in The Princess Bride he has learned just about every possible technique there is. I think we have a Battlemaster through and through.

No brains
2019-12-18, 01:01 PM
However you do it, remember not to let your build get too high in level. Inigo is impressive, but he still has some realistic weaknesses. He kicks the crap out of those 4 guards, but admits he can't fight 20. He loses to Wesley who was essentially toying with him the entire time. He takes severe damage from one dagger (possibly poisoned and with sneak attack, but still just one dagger). Lastly, he kind of has trouble making a living with his falling to his alcoholism and having to work for shady people.

As for his recovery against Count Rugen, I've always interpreted that as him getting a boost for aiding the miracle of true love. The way it's presented in the movie, it should be interpreted as something unique that he can't do every day.

One thing you may have to embrace to get close to being Inigo is the idea of hitpoins as luck. Inigo wasn't downed from one dagger or one bonk, but by a series of close calls and embarrassments. It took more than it appeared for Inigo to beat those guards and every time Wesley upstaged him was a time Wesley scored a 'hit'.

Perhaps Inigo is a Vengeance Paladin, but maybe a low-level one that doesn't know how to use all his powers yet. He really likes that he's got extra attack, but the DM has to remind him he has Divine Sense and Lay on Hands when the story would allow for it.

Joe the Rat
2019-12-18, 01:48 PM
My initial take was Swash/Samurai or Swash/Battlemaster, but I am getting sold on Paladin, Swash/Vengeance.

Of course, I wouldn't be me without tossing Warlock into the mix. Hexblade fits best. Patron would be some cross of his father and what's-his-name, the other swordsmith in the book, with the reputation and the fat thumbs that took Inigo in and helped train him. And the Six-finger sword.

Alternatively, the Undying Warlock (Patron: Father's Spirit) has potential. His "miraculous" recovery is just him succeeding on a death save, then spamming fiendish resilience to soak the follow up blows.

The lack of armor is a genre function. Light-to-medium armor (studded leather, chain shirt) would be fitting of a swordsman. If you insist on going in shirtsleeves, Kensei or Warlock (Armor of Shadows) can cover bases.

Evaar
2019-12-18, 02:05 PM

This is correct and I rescind my previous suggestion. I would MC Swashbuckler Rogue and Vengeance Paladin.

Misterwhisper
2019-12-18, 02:08 PM
I do not see Inigo as a swashbuckler rogue.
He is more along the lines of someone who makes many attacks to fight not a measured one sneak attack.
He does not seem to be so extremely skilled that he would have expertise.

Race is human obviously, but Variant Human with the feat Defensive Duelist
Alignment is definitely lawful, he lives by his code no matter what.

Str: 12, he is in good shape but it is not his main thing. He couldn't break down the door, or carry Westly very well.
Dex: 18, this is his bread and butter, it is what he lives on.
Con: 14, he is athletic and tough but can't hold his alcohol at all.
Int: 12, average, maybe slightly better, he knew some interesting fact and history.
Wis: 14 he knew when a plan sounded good or not, knew how to pick up on someone's style. No training in the save, he loses his cool to fast.
Cha: 16 he fooled another trained swordsman into thinking he was left handed, and talked Miracle Max into working

Skills:

Obviously trained in Acrobatics, even if he did not perfectly stick the landing of his flip.
Trained in intimidate, but evidently only vs his sworn enemy.
Not trained in athletics, he did not climb the cliff himself and couldn't break a door.
Training in history, he knows lots about classic fighting styles and know history and facts of things.
Deception is a maybe, with the fighting with he wrong hand thing, not sure if that even counts as deception.

His Father's Sword is a +1 Rapier.

Battlemaster 7:
Multiple attacks, ok skills, action surge and parry/riposte use with Defensive Duelist, Duelist fighting style.

Aelyn
2019-12-18, 02:18 PM
My take: Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler) / Fighter 7 (Battlemaster)

Feats: Not sure. Possibly Alert? Would need to reread to decide that.

Stats: Maxxed Dex, decent Wis and Con, average everywhere else.

Maneuvers: Parry, Taunt, Disarm, Riposte, Feint

His drive for vengeance is exceptional and is definitely his main motivation, but it's not a source of power for him. He didn't actually heal from Rugen's stab, he centred himself and fought on regardless - in my eyes, a classic second wind.

As others have said, his HP is definitely more the "luck and tiredness" interpretation rather than the "sack of meat" interpretation.

Also:
Westley: Rogue 7 (Swashbuckler) / Fighter 6 (Battlemaster) / Ranger 2

Vizzini: Rogue 7 (Mastermind)

Fezzik: Fighter 8 (Champion) with Tavern Brawler

Humperdink: Ranger 12 (Monster Slayer)

Rugen: Fighter 5 (Champion) / Ranger 2

Buttercup: Commoner 0

Evaar
2019-12-18, 09:14 PM
I do not see Inigo as a swashbuckler rogue.
He is more along the lines of someone who makes many attacks to fight not a measured one sneak attack.
He does not seem to be so extremely skilled that he would have expertise.

Race is human obviously, but Variant Human with the feat Defensive Duelist
Alignment is definitely lawful, he lives by his code no matter what.

Str: 12, he is in good shape but it is not his main thing. He couldn't break down the door, or carry Westly very well.
Dex: 18, this is his bread and butter, it is what he lives on.
Con: 14, he is athletic and tough but can't hold his alcohol at all.
Int: 12, average, maybe slightly better, he knew some interesting fact and history.
Wis: 14 he knew when a plan sounded good or not, knew how to pick up on someone's style. No training in the save, he loses his cool to fast.
Cha: 16 he fooled another trained swordsman into thinking he was left handed, and talked Miracle Max into working

Skills:

Obviously trained in Acrobatics, even if he did not perfectly stick the landing of his flip.
Trained in intimidate, but evidently only vs his sworn enemy.
Not trained in athletics, he did not climb the cliff himself and couldn't break a door.
Training in history, he knows lots about classic fighting styles and know history and facts of things.
Deception is a maybe, with the fighting with he wrong hand thing, not sure if that even counts as deception.

His Father's Sword is a +1 Rapier.

Battlemaster 7:
Multiple attacks, ok skills, action surge and parry/riposte use with Defensive Duelist, Duelist fighting style.

These are good points as well. I would say no to the Deception training and turn it into Persuasion. When he's honest, he seems to be good at convincing people: Wesley when they first meet and he shares his history; then he gets them in the door with Miracle Max, he fails a Deception check ("Aren't you a rotten liar?"), then rolls poorly on Persuasion ("Your first story was better."), then passes a Persuasion check ("I make him better, Humperdink suffers?!").