PDA

View Full Version : help optimize this ridiculous idea - kobold w/ panther mount or similar ...

da newt
2019-12-18, 10:10 AM
The idea of a small humanoid on a MED sized mount with stealth, dark vision, climb speed, and 50' normal speed is appealing to me. Now, how to make it actually work. Some random ideas follow. What do you all recommend / think? How can I change this from stupid to good?

- Beast Master Ranger is probably the simplest way to get a mount. Is there a better way? Paladin's find steed (with a little DM allowance)...
- What class / MC makes the most of this (Hexadin maybe)?
- Kobold on a mount = pact tactics. Goblin = bonus action disengage for hit and run. Is there a better race?
- Is there a better mount than a panther?
- A lance isn't HEAVY so a small race can use it, right? But a rapier & shield is probably smarter.
- A MED sized mount should have no issues with dungeons or small places, and a climb speed could be really handy.
- How do you keep the mount alive? Mounted combatant feat.
- If your mount takes the DODGE or DISENGAGE action, does that cover the rider too?

I'm thinking this makes a great skirmisher - DASH, DISENGAGE, or DODGE for the mount with 50' or 100' of movement should make this fun.

HappyDaze
2019-12-18, 10:18 AM
Would you consider a Battle Smith Artificer riding the Steel Defender?

NaughtyTiger
2019-12-18, 11:08 AM
> What class / MC makes the most of this (Hexadin maybe)?
for me, i MC into 3rd cleric for AID and WARDING BOND (hefty investment, but at level 6 i can AID at 3rd, + warding bond at 2nd.... gives my pet 22HP plus resistance to all damage)

> Kobold on a mount = pact tactics. Goblin = bonus action disengage for hit and run. Is there a better race?
goblin's disengage doesn't work while mounted.
ghostwise halfing to silently command beast?
forest gnome is pretty good too.

> Is there a better mount than a panther?
consider wolf (pack tactics, right back at you), wolf spider (better climbing), giant poisonous snake (high AC + reach)

> A lance isn't HEAVY so a small race can use it, right? But a rapier & shield is probably smarter.
Lance is reach weapon, staying out of range is good, too.

> A MED sized mount should have no issues with dungeons or small places, and a climb speed could be really handy.
rarely does my gnome paladin dismount

> How do you keep the mount alive? Mounted combatant feat.
Mounted Combatant is very good. I added AID and WARDING BOND

> If your mount takes the DODGE or DISENGAGE action, does that cover the rider too?
disengage, yes
dash, yes
dodge, no

Joe the Rat
2019-12-18, 02:07 PM
Lance, Lance and shield even, are legitimate, if ill-suited to a low-strength race (kobold). Rapier would be more reliable. Always on pack tactics? Awesome.

Panther is cool on style points, but wolf spider or male steeders would give you more mobility. This is best for mounted archers, though. ("shootin' on the ceiling...").

Going beastmaster, you, or specifically your mount will do better with more ranger levels to boost stats.

Sherlockpwns
2019-12-19, 01:09 AM
The new UA for the ranger gives you a beast of Earth, which is a potential monster for mounted combat.

Short version is if it moves 20ft it can knockdown with a high dc and does a little more damage, and it can be commanded to attack with a bonus action on your turn.

Simply put: charge in, bonus action knockdown attack from the beast, stab with your weapon, disengage. Repeat.

Doesn't even require a kobold, though pack tactics is handy if the beast misses or the enemy saves.

There are some other things you can do too. If you grab a net you can potentially knockdown, command the beast to attack, and you get a free attack action, which is to throw the net. Normally at disadvantage, but thanks to pack tactics, a normal roll. One restrained and prone the enemy must try to break free or it simply can't do anything. So you still get 2 attacks from your beast and basically a CC on one target. Downside is you are still in melee after the turn.

That's the new UA stuff. You can also do this with any other creature with the phb ranger, it's just less effective.

As far as power ratings for mounted combat I'd say it goes new UA ranger, paladin or bard with fgs (level 10+ only) battlesmith, and phb ranger. Sadly I don't think cavalier makes the cut at all, though some folks here disagree. Also the battle Smith has some DM rulings needed for mounted combat. E.g. do mounted combat rules override class rules. Can the defender ever take the use object action, etc.

XmonkTad
2019-12-19, 12:09 PM
Kobold is my favorite race and this seems like a fun idea. Ranger is a great choice because it relies heavily on your best stat, dex. Adding in a support class like cleric will start to make you a bit MAD unless you're going for pure buff spells.
I say go for pure Lore Bard, get to level 6 and pick up Find Steed and Enlarge/Reduce. Now even small creatures (that you tame via animal friendship) can become mounts because you can make them bigger. You won't be attacking as much, but you'll have enough animal friends to make the druid jealous.

da newt
2019-12-19, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm a bit hamstrung by AL limitations, for example - if I go Kobold that means PHB & Volo stuff only. I don't think the artificer is on the table.

Witty Username
2019-12-20, 11:21 AM
As I understand it opportunity attacks don't apply to forced movement which being carried my a panther would qualify.
If you don't mind a robo-panther battle smith artificer could work pretty well and be on flavor for a kobold.
Edit: never mind then on the artificer.