PDA

View Full Version : New Potions

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-18, 04:53 PM
Hey Playground,

I'm trying to come up with some new potions to pitch to a DM. They've expressed some irritation that their party has been nova-ing more often recently, so I wanted to see if I could help. These are exclusive to 5e, so that's why I put it here. If I need to move it, please let me know.

Thinking about it from a player perspective, if you want to adventure longer, you need a way to make short rests either safer, faster (and therefore safer), or more efficient. So what I came up with was this:

Erg Cola
Potion, uncommon

When you drink this fizzing, dark brown potion, you feel energized, alert, and you can catch your breath more quickly. The next short rest you take within 1 hour of drinking this potion only takes 5 minutes. The label contains a warning that overconsumption may lead to tooth decay, addiction, and really terrible gas.

Room Key
Wondrous item, uncommon

This takes the form of a small key, typically worn on a thong. As an action, you may press this key to a door, turn it, and link that door to the extradimensional space stored within the key. When you open the door, you see a space up to 15 feet long and wide, regardless of what the door normally connects to. When you enter, the door locks behind you, and requires a DC 20 check with Dexterity (thieves' tools) to open it without your consent, or a DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check to break down.

The extradimensional space lasts for up to 1 hour. Anyone still in the room is expelled from it at the end of the hour. When the key was manufactured, the creator could stock the space it creates with any sustenance they chose. Depending on who made the door, you might find a larder well-stocked with red meat, or greens, or more exotic foodstuffs (if the key was made by a mind flayer or beholder, for example). If this food is uneaten at the end of that hour, it is expelled along with any remaining occupants.

After this key is used once, it becomes a non-magical key.

Celestial Balm
Wondrous item, uncommon

This healing salve is made from unicorn urine and contains 2d6 doses. When applied during a short rest, you double the number of hit points restored when you roll a Hit Die. No creature can benefit from more than one dose per short rest.