PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew monster idea: Tome of Monsters

XylosTheBard
2019-12-18, 07:00 PM
So, I'm working on a monster called the Tome of Monsters, and want to see if any of you have advice on it. I'm making it using 3e rules as a basis, so here's the concept:

A tome full of the Summon Monster spells that through magic have gained ethereal arms and can fly, but the magic proved too unruly, often making them go out of control.

Tome of Monsters
Tiny Construct
(Always Chaotic, usually Neutral or Evil)
Str 8, Dex 12, Wis 19
AC 19 (10 + Dex mod + Size mod)
Fly 30 ft.
Has spell slots equal to that of it's creator

Attacks
Arcane Claw - 1d4 Force; the target either succeeds a will save, or looses 1d4 (1d8)-level spell slot(s)

Spells
Summon Monster I
Summon Monster II
Summon Monster III
Summon Monster IV
Summon Monster V
Summon Monster VI
Summon Monster VII
Summon Monster VIII
Summon Monster IX

John Out West
2019-12-18, 09:09 PM
If i may suggest:
1: The book is only sentient because a summoned spirit/demon took possession of it. Otherwise they are typically not possessed. In this way, its problem is clearly an unforeseen/inevitable consequence of its own existence.
2: It has basic speech and motor functions, and can only move by opening/closing its covers. It has a slow walking speed, but can move under characters/desks/beds/etc. I don't think this book requires limbs or wings to be interesting, and any wizard who would add limbs or wings to a spellbook is, in my opinion, irrefutably foolish.
3: When the book does summon a creature, it gains a sudden burst of speed. (Up to 30 ft) in the opposite direction. This will make it harder to catch/close and give it a reason to summon creatures, (besides defensively) and a way to get mover vertically.

I think this thing would be hilarious to see running around, exploding pets behind it as it attempts to escape the players.