PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest 40k moment

Water_Walker
2007-10-20, 05:00 PM
Ok so Im playing with this one ork player with my space marines 1000 points. Up till turn 4 this kid been annoying and stupid
ex:smallsigh: Ok my orc squad squad gets a 4+ cover save becuase thier behind my warbike
:smallcool: How that's like 40 orks hiding behind a single bike. Besides I don't think you get cover saves form a bike
:smallsigh: Yes you do it's a special ork rule
:smallcool: Let's see it then
:smallsigh: No get your own codex

(I would have walked out be he was the only person not already in a game)

so it's turn 5 my space marines are about to assualt (THis kid didn't seem to understand that orks are for comat not shooting). This one ork rokkit boy (Started off as his own squad. go figure) shoots. The kid pulls out the Ordance template and postions it so that my entire termie squad is underneath it. I of course question him
:smallcool: What are you doing
:smallsigh: Firing with my rocket luancher
:smallcool: No you see you use the small blast template
:smallsigh: No you don't see it says blast
:smallcool: That means small blast
:smallsigh: No it doesn't! (starts packing up his guys)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-20, 05:08 PM
Orcs do have some kind of rule with bikes and cover. Can't remember how it works though.

Still, he's immature. This is one of the reasons I don't go to gaming clubs anymore. Games aren't fun if the opponent has no sportsmanship.

Water_Walker
2007-10-20, 09:05 PM
This wasn't a gaming club this was store game day

Were-Sandwich
2007-10-21, 05:08 AM
The people at my gaming club are generally kind and courteous. I don't play 40K anymore, but when I did everyone was really nice, and sportsmanly. The problem is they don't want to play anything other than 40K.

Bryn
2007-10-21, 05:38 AM
Although it might seem unlikely, he was half-right about the cover... :smallamused:

As warbikes career across the battlefield they kick up vast qunatities of dust and oily exhaust fumes. This gives them a 5+ saving throw as if they were in cover. Furthermore if an enemy shoots through a unit of warbikes to hit another Ork unit behind it the Ork unit behind counts as in cover too. The warbikes pollution cover has no effects in cloes combat.

(emphasis mine)
Anyway, I generally try to treat new players (which he seems to be) kindly and courteously, explaining gently rather than getting angry as if they're cheating. It's always best to assume the best of people and leads to a better play experience... at least, in my opinion. :smallredface:

SmartAlec
2007-10-21, 05:52 AM
Story 1:

It's around the time of the Tau release. My local GW. I'm to take the store's Tau army for a spin for the Veteran's Night.

Opponent #1: Imperial Armoured Company. *foreheadslap*

Nothing but a bunch of Leman Russ and Chimerae. The store's Tau aren't outfitted with any long-range anti-tank weapons or vehicles yet; if I'm to win this one, it's going to be by getting in the rear armour of these tanks and busting them up from close range. To this end, I get my 2 Battlesuit squads to Deep-Strike, hoping to drop down behind the tank column and plasmamelta my way to victory.

In a seven-turn game, they simply didn't turn up. That's at least 8 1's in succession (don't remember what I rolled for turn 2 and 3, but it wasn't high enough) Game was reduced to me trying to get my drone squadrons around the backs of the tanks instead (actually destroyed a Leman Russ that way) and my infantry cowering in the woods, being shelled into oblivion.

Story 2:

Blood Bowl! My halfling team, the Mootland Flingers, are setting up to recieve in the second half. It's 1-1, I've got a good feeling. If I can get the ball to my front line, I can fling a halfling over the heads of these Orcs and scamper my way to victory!

Unfortunately, I reckon without the awesome bad-skillz of my thrower, who - while I'm setting up my drive - manages to fumble the ball a record nine times; once every turn for 4 turns, once again for each of those turns when I used a re-roll, and once when my opponent turned his back and I cheated.

In the end, robbed of the initiative and apparently destined not to pick up the ball this half, I'm forced on the defensive and on the 4th turn the Orcs manage to break through my line and snatch the ball from my plainly blind, fingerless thrower.

End result: 2-1 to the Orcs.

Story 3:

This one's actually one where I come out on top. It's the Conflict: London 40k tournament, Game 2. After a gruelling draw with my Crimson Fist Space Marines against an Ork Kult of Speed in a Cleanse mission, this one sees me in a Take and Hold situation against... Emperor's Children!

Let's think this thing through. On the one hand, my Marine army is based around the idea of agressive defence; trying to balance shooty and assault with barrage tanks. Plus, my army has a lot of Troops and Heavy Support, which give them a lot of numbers to lay down in a Take and Hold; and the units that won't deploy at the beginning (Veterans in Rhino, Terminators, Attack Bikes) will be able to move fast enough/deep strike to get into the later-game fighting. Forcing my lot to attack and trudge across the battlefield under fire will make it hard for them. The Children, on the other hand, are an exceptional defence army; they're tough, equipped with sonic weapons which have longer ranges if they stand still, they have Obliterators, and his army has both a Predator tank (useful if it can remain stationary and use all of its' weapons) and a Chaos Lord and retinue (excellent counterattack unit).

We dice off for who chooses defence and attack; he wins. And, in a moment of supreme braincramp, chooses attack.

End result: Space Marine total victory. Yes, he lost the game right there, at the beginning, with a simple strategic choice. The rest was simple.

Story 4:

The Crimson Fists (again) against the Iron Warriors. Standard 12"/24"/12" game.

Iron Warriors win first move, and open up with shooting in the first turn. Fully half the Crimson Fist army routs off the table with an alarmingly high flurry of leadership and fleeing distance rolls.

End result: Iron Warrior total victory. No surprise there.

Water_Walker
2007-10-21, 06:44 AM
Although it might seem unlikely, he was half-right about the cover... :smallamused:

(emphasis mine)
Anyway, I generally try to treat new players (which he seems to be) kindly and courteously, explaining gently rather than getting angry as if they're cheating. It's always best to assume the best of people and leads to a better play experience... at least, in my opinion. :smallredface:

But still how can 40 orks hide behind a single warbike (Not a squad, a single. the kid didn't even have any other warbikes).

SmartAlec
2007-10-21, 07:07 AM
But still how can 40 orks hide behind a single warbike (Not a squad, a single. the kid didn't even have any other warbikes).

They can't. Note this:

Furthermore if an enemy shoots through a unit of warbikes

If you could draw lines of sight around the bike, there's no save. If you couldn't, then... you can't shoot the target behind anyway because the bike blocks view.

That cover rule is really for when you try to shoot through the space between warbikes in a unit of warbikes. A single warbike isn't very effective at this sort of screening stuff. Nor should it be.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-21, 07:54 AM
To clarify:

Any of your shooting models that can draw a line of sight to one or more Orks without crossing over a warbike model OR an imaginary line drawn between two warbike models in the same unit don't count the target as in cover.

Those of your shooting models that cannot draw such a line of sight allow the Orks a 5+ cover save.

If there are 40 orks hiding behind the one bike, it's pretty much a given that all of your shooty guys can target at least one ork not behind the bike, so none of them should have been allowed to save. Now, if it's 10 orks hiding behind 10 bikes arranged in a line, that's something else again... Though that's not neccesarily going to be a terribly efficient set up, tactically.

so it's turn 5 my space marines are about to assualt (THis kid didn't seem to understand that orks are for comat not shooting). This one ork rokkit boy (Started off as his own squad. go figure) shoots. The kid pulls out the Ordance template and postions it so that my entire termie squad is underneath it. I of course question him

Ha ha! :smallbiggrin:

Some people just aren't cut out for participation in competitive games.

Jakezor
2007-10-21, 11:46 AM
Okay, so, this isn't a 40k moment so much, its a fantasy one. and it isn't my stupidity.
Last edition of the Orc and Goblin army book had this magical item called "Sizzlas Shiney Baubles" that I loved to stick on my night goblin shamen (when I didnt' feel like mad cap mushrooms). This item has a 50/50 chance to reflect any magic spell cast at the unit back on the caster. I was playing a quick little 1k game against my friends Vampire Counts army.
Turn 1....
His solo necromancer (hiding inbetween units via IC rules) casts "Magic Missile" at unit with the shaman. I roll a 4, he's hit by his own magic missile. He rolls hits... 11... he roles wounds... 9... His necromancer explodes on HIS turn one about 300 pts of his army decays due to horrible roles.
Not a single unit ever made it to my front line.

Part two: We had a good laugh about it, and replayed the game. Later that night, I was browsing the Games-Workshop forums (they used to have forums) and saw a "Funnest Gaming Moments" thread. Naturally, I posted the above tale.

8 minutes later..... 'RE: earlier today' by *theguyiplayedagainst*
message; your a git. I'll get you next time.
and then we had another good laugh about it the next day.

LordVader
2007-10-21, 01:57 PM
Story 1:

It's around the time of the Tau release. My local GW. I'm to take the store's Tau army for a spin for the Veteran's Night.

Opponent #1: Imperial Armoured Company. *foreheadslap*

Nothing but a bunch of Leman Russ and Chimerae. The store's Tau aren't outfitted with any long-range anti-tank weapons or vehicles yet; if I'm to win this one, it's going to be by getting in the rear armour of these tanks and busting them up from close range. To this end, I get my 2 Battlesuit squads to Deep-Strike, hoping to drop down behind the tank column and plasmamelta my way to victory.

In a seven-turn game, they simply didn't turn up. That's at least 8 1's in succession (don't remember what I rolled for turn 2 and 3, but it wasn't high enough) Game was reduced to me trying to get my drone squadrons around the backs of the tanks instead (actually destroyed a Leman Russ that way) and my infantry cowering in the woods, being shelled into oblivion.

You do realize that on the fifth turn, deep-striking is automatic?:smalltongue:

Krursk
2007-10-22, 02:59 AM
At one of the local Games Workshops I frequent, one of the GW guys tries to make sure the newbie always wins his first game. Unfortunately, this never turns out well for the loser. The two latest examples:

#1: Tau vs Orks. I'm asked to play the store's Tau. Now, despite the fact that I play Daemonhunters, I agree to play as the store's Tau, which is strongly geared towards standing still and shooting. There are no tanks, and the only really mobile unit is a Stealth Suit Team. Due to some good luck, I start slaughtering his units with my Tau shooting. A few units get through my heavy fire, and wreak havoc like only an Ork can amongst Tau, but he's losing. All of my units are above scoring strength and all of his units are dead or dieing. Now my Stealth Team has spent the entire game harassing a Boyz mob that includes his Warboss, making sure that there's a good 24" between them and the Boyz, until Benny, the GW guy, decides to even the odds. Suddenly the Warboss gains a crazy move score and contacts the Stealth team, obliterating them in one go. Basically half of my army is steamrolled by one guy with crazily boosted stats in two turns.

Later, a friend of mine plays the same Ork player, now reliant on his awesome Warboss. My friend's Space Wolves win without taking a casualty.

#2: I'm running a pretty fun Imperial Guard Airbourne list. The new guy is a Black Templar player. He can't get anywhere, due to my pinning checks from Bombs. Suddenly, a two man Templar unit "gets angry" and rushes my Storm Troopers, not only somehow managing to arm themselves with Master-Crafted Lighting Claws and a Space Marine Master's statline during their 24" charge. One horrible evisceration of Storm Troopers later, and the Templars manage to pull down a Lightning Fighter as it comes in to strafe them.

Narmoth
2007-10-22, 03:53 AM
Well, can't say that I would like to play my first game in that store.
The first game you loose.
For the 2nd game, you modify your tactics to avoid all the mistakes you did in the first. Still, you loose.
The third game you win (with a lot of luck) taking in account what modifications worked and what modifications didn't work in the 2nd game.

Very simplified, that's how you start winning in any tactical game.

Eita
2007-10-22, 03:58 AM
My first game ever.

The Ultramarines weren't even fully painted.

I had no idea what I was going up against.

I choose one ten-man Tactical Squad with flamer and rocket launcher and....

a five man bike squad.

Turns out I was vs. Tau.

Kroot Infiltrated. I sent the bikes to deal with them as I used my rocket launcher to attack the Devilfish.

The Kroot got insanely lucky on their rolls and I failed just about all of my rolls.

Turn one, 3 Space Marine Bikers dead, no Kroot dead, missile wasn't in range of Devilfish.

Turn two, one biker left. Used his flamer to WTFPWN 13 Kroot in a single shot.

It was a 70 point Kroot squad.

After the game, the guy told me that I should've gone with my Assault Marines, in any game and used the left over points to field more Space Marines.

SmartAlec
2007-10-22, 05:03 AM
You do realize that on the fifth turn, deep-striking is automatic?:smalltongue:

It is in 4th Ed. I don't think it's the case in 3rd Ed, which was the edition in print when this battle was fought.

Threeshades
2007-10-22, 05:54 AM
Ok so Im playing with this one ork player with my space marines 1000 points. Up till turn 4 this kid been annoying and stupid
ex:smallsigh: Ok my orc squad squad gets a 4+ cover save becuase thier behind my warbike
:smallcool: How that's like 40 orks hiding behind a single bike. Besides I don't think you get cover saves form a bike
:smallsigh: Yes you do it's a special ork rule
:smallcool: Let's see it then
:smallsigh: No get your own codex

(I would have walked out be he was the only person not already in a game)

@the orkplayer
Ork Warbikes do grant a cover save to other ork troops if a line of fire is drawn through the warbike squadron. But:
1) its only 5+
2) a single warbike can only grant the cover save if the only line of sight you have would actually go through the bike
So he was partially right but almost completely wrong.

@the marine player
Jerk. Just jerk.

I cannot report such moments since i know the codizes of my usual opponents much better than they do and I more or less taught them the rules of the game, so they have little room for such idiocies.

Were-Sandwich
2007-10-22, 07:26 AM
At one of the local Games Workshops I frequent, one of the GW guys tries to make sure the newbie always wins his first game. Unfortunately, this never turns out well for the loser. The two latest examples:

#1: Tau vs Orks. I'm asked to play the store's Tau. Now, despite the fact that I play Daemonhunters, I agree to play as the store's Tau, which is strongly geared towards standing still and shooting. There are no tanks, and the only really mobile unit is a Stealth Suit Team. Due to some good luck, I start slaughtering his units with my Tau shooting. A few units get through my heavy fire, and wreak havoc like only an Ork can amongst Tau, but he's losing. All of my units are above scoring strength and all of his units are dead or dieing. Now my Stealth Team has spent the entire game harassing a Boyz mob that includes his Warboss, making sure that there's a good 24" between them and the Boyz, until Benny, the GW guy, decides to even the odds. Suddenly the Warboss gains a crazy move score and contacts the Stealth team, obliterating them in one go. Basically half of my army is steamrolled by one guy with crazily boosted stats in two turns.

Later, a friend of mine plays the same Ork player, now reliant on his awesome Warboss. My friend's Space Wolves win without taking a casualty.

#2: I'm running a pretty fun Imperial Guard Airbourne list. The new guy is a Black Templar player. He can't get anywhere, due to my pinning checks from Bombs. Suddenly, a two man Templar unit "gets angry" and rushes my Storm Troopers, not only somehow managing to arm themselves with Master-Crafted Lighting Claws and a Space Marine Master's statline during their 24" charge. One horrible evisceration of Storm Troopers later, and the Templars manage to pull down a Lightning Fighter as it comes in to strafe them.

Thats possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They're supposed to teach them to play 40K, not toy soldiers with a few dice rolls thrown in for no real reason. This is one of the many reasons I don't play at GW stores. Thats and the staff make me nauseous. If he wants to help the newbie, give him a pre-game rundown of the capabilities and weaknesses of both sides, and give him strategic advice through the game, and give ghim hints when he's about to do something stupid.

Beleriphon
2007-10-23, 07:28 AM
My favourite moment in 40K.

I'm doing pretty well in an Eldar vs Dark Angels game. I play the Marines, and manage to finally get my Death Wing termies deep striked into the game on the fourth turn. So I'm feeling cocky and land the buggers on a squad of rangers that have been harrassing my devastator squad all game. I pull of the scatter roll and they land on top of the rangers. So it counts as a charge (nice!). What do I do? Both every roll, every single roll including saves. A squad of rangers, without a leader mind you, killed ten terminators (oh, and a terminator chaplain) without taking a single casualty.

Of course the next game they managed to do the same thing on turn two and wipe out the farseer and his warlock squad.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-23, 08:03 AM
I don't know that it is a "stupidest" moment from either players perspective, but rather from a rules mechanic and whatnot POV...

Playing an RTT, my 30 man Necron Warrior squad with attached Lord gets assaulted by a small unit of 5 Chaos Raptors. I manage to only take 2 wounds, but only get 1 wound back at him in return. I failed the Leadership test amazingly. He then Sweeping Advances me and wipes the unit.

~29 Warriors and a Lord, still standing....

But they all get wiped out because a Raptor looks scary? WTF?

Bryn
2007-10-23, 08:12 AM
To clarify:

Any of your shooting models that can draw a line of sight to one or more Orks without crossing over a warbike model OR an imaginary line drawn between two warbike models in the same unit don't count the target as in cover.

Those of your shooting models that cannot draw such a line of sight allow the Orks a 5+ cover save.

If there are 40 orks hiding behind the one bike, it's pretty much a given that all of your shooty guys can target at least one ork not behind the bike, so none of them should have been allowed to save. Now, if it's 10 orks hiding behind 10 bikes arranged in a line, that's something else again... Though that's not neccesarily going to be a terribly efficient set up, tactically.

OK, sorry, I thought the issue was about the existence of the rule, I must have missed the numbers. Of course one bike won't give cover to 40 Orks. :smallredface:

Blayze
2007-10-23, 08:18 AM
Stuff like that is perfect for house rules. In my case, if they catch up with you, you don't get cut down. Instead, the fighting continues.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-23, 10:43 AM
Stuff like that is perfect for house rules. In my case, if they catch up with you, you don't get cut down. Instead, the fighting continues.

I thought Space marines had that rule...Part of 'And they shall know no fear'. If an enemy catches them in a sweeping advance they gain 'no retreat' and will continue to fight instead of being wiped out, but now take additional casualties for being outnumbered.

I thought the Necrons had a similar rule, but looks like they don't...just a note that says 'they are fearless, but use normal moral cause they aren't crazy and will retreat when logical'...yeah...by the fluff, they should never get caught with the sweeping advance and should probably have 'they shall know no fear'...since necrons never die, it is nothin to them to stand and fight even against overwhelming odds if the only alternative is to be slaughtered while 29 of you still live by a squad of 5 men.

But yeah...can't massacre marines...makes the hive tyrants sad.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-23, 10:48 AM
I thought the Necrons had a similar rule, but looks like they don't...just a note that says 'they are fearless, but use normal moral cause they aren't crazy and will retreat when logical'...yeah...by the fluff, they should never get caught with the sweeping advance and should probably have 'they shall know no fear'...since necrons never die, it is nothin to them to stand and fight even against overwhelming odds if the only alternative is to be slaughtered while 29 of you still live by a squad of 5 men.

To be fair, the fluff says that they "Phase Out" at the last moment in order to avoid destruction.

SmartAlec
2007-10-23, 10:51 AM
I don't know that it is a "stupidest" moment from either players perspective, but rather from a rules mechanic and whatnot POV...

Playing an RTT, my 30 man Necron Warrior squad with attached Lord gets assaulted by a small unit of 5 Chaos Raptors. I manage to only take 2 wounds, but only get 1 wound back at him in return. I failed the Leadership test amazingly. He then Sweeping Advances me and wipes the unit.

~29 Warriors and a Lord, still standing....

But they all get wiped out because a Raptor looks scary? WTF?

You got no bonuses for outnumbering your opponent?

28 vs. 4 is 7:1. Should have given you enough of a modifier to be the victor.

Edit: Ah! It's been too long. Yes, mixing up the rules for 40K and WFB.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-23, 11:10 AM

a 12 always fails does it not? he could have just been unlucky...

Swordguy
2007-10-23, 11:24 AM

Outnumbering has more of an effect in Warhammer Fantasy (outnumber bonus plus the odds are if you outnumber you'll have a bigger rank bonus).

My stupidest 40K moment was during a local tourney. It was a "blind" tourney - we knew the armies involved, but we never got to see the other guy's sheet. The judge (who owned the store) would check it off as being legal. It was a pretty cool "fog of war" thing.

As it happened, I was involved in a 3-way tie for 1st place, along with a couple of kids (14-ish). They were brothers, and fine with sharing the prize money, so we agreed to a big 2000-point per-side game, their Space Marines against my 58th Praetorian Guard. One of them was playing Deathwing, one was playing Dark Angels.

So I lose the roll, and start set-up, and the game proceeds apace. They've got a LOT of Marines over there, but the judge has checked off the sheets, so I'm cool with it. Then they wipe out my army. I mean the WHOLE thing (minus 2 half-strength squads that fled off the table). From shooting alone. In 1 turn. This is an IG Infantry-heavy army (2 naked Russes, and 1500-odd points infantry), and they wipe it out. Devastators, bolters, 3 whirlwinds, the Land Raider with the eleventy-billion heavy bolters...the works.

So I lose, and they each get 100 bucks worth of store credit to spend. Yay them. Then I see the lists lying there, alone and unattended. What the hey, I'll take a look since the tourney's over.

It turns out that EACH of the kids had brought a 2000-point list to the table. The judge? Yeah...their dad.

Haven't been back to that store since. In fact, haven't played since.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-23, 12:06 PM

Edit: Ah! It's been too long. Yes, mixing up the rules for 40K and WFB.

As far as I know, the modifiers for outnumbering your opponent only apply from a winner vs. loser perspective. Specifically, you get a penalty on your morale for being outnumbered by the CC winner. So if for example I had taken no wounds and they still had their 1, I would have won and outnembered them, giving them a -4 on their Leadership. I was at -1 Leadership because Raptors are so super scary! My Necrons were venting coolant all over themselves in terror. :smallconfused:

Rogue 7
2007-10-23, 03:26 PM
My favourite moment in 40K.

I'm doing pretty well in an Eldar vs Dark Angels game. I play the Marines, and manage to finally get my Death Wing termies deep striked into the game on the fourth turn. So I'm feeling cocky and land the buggers on a squad of rangers that have been harrassing my devastator squad all game. I pull of the scatter roll and they land on top of the rangers. So it counts as a charge (nice!). What do I do? Both every roll, every single roll including saves. A squad of rangers, without a leader mind you, killed ten terminators (oh, and a terminator chaplain) without taking a single casualty.

Of course the next game they managed to do the same thing on turn two and wipe out the farseer and his warlock squad.

Can't actually do that. The termis are destroyed- it's one of the risks of deep striking.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-23, 05:33 PM
So I lose, and they each get 100 bucks worth of store credit to spend. Yay them. Then I see the lists lying there, alone and unattended. What the hey, I'll take a look since the tourney's over.

It turns out that EACH of the kids had brought a 2000-point list to the table. The judge? Yeah...their dad.

Haven't been back to that store since. In fact, haven't played since.

Ah, corruption. I would have at least made a comment to the store boss. :smallannoyed:

LordVader
2007-10-23, 08:37 PM
Swordguy, I hate to sound like a jerk, but you should have been able to tell that there was more than 2000 points of Marines on the table. One thing I've learned from several friends is never trust small kids when it comes to 40k lists. :P

I would have at least gone up to the manager, shoved the lists in his face, and called him out on it. That's complete crap, and I'm sorry that it put you off of 40k.

Swordguy
2007-10-23, 09:14 PM
Swordguy, I hate to sound like a jerk, but you should have been able to tell that there was more than 2000 points of Marines on the table. One thing I've learned from several friends is never trust small kids when it comes to 40k lists. :P

I would have at least gone up to the manager, shoved the lists in his face, and called him out on it. That's complete crap, and I'm sorry that it put you off of 40k.

I was...significantly younger. Like 20 (I'm 28 now). It was my first time in the store, only my 3rd tourney, and my local group had no SM players AT ALL.

It was the nepotism that did it. I'd already been on the fence because of "legal" things in GW games that epitomized bad sportsmanship (one guy modelled a dragon with a 3' neck with supporting bases so it could flame template opposing players from it's own deployment zone - and they had to be in base contact to hit back). This was just too much.

And remember...the store boss WAS their dad - he ran the store, judged the tourney, and cheated all in one body.

LordVader
2007-10-23, 09:16 PM
Ah, if you didn't have any experience with SM, then that would do it. Anyone who played against them on a regular basis probably would have been able to tell the army was way too large.

Seriously, though, those kids are ***holes. I'm not much older than them, but I would never stoop that low just to win a tourney. Stupid spoiled kids.:smallyuk:

And I know the boss was the dad. If you make a scene of it, however, you could probably have caused him to back down because of all the other people there who would have noticed that he cheated.

Narmoth
2007-10-24, 03:52 AM
actually, it would have been fun to have a smal sm army with everyone with bionics, artificer armour and mastercrafted weapons. They would look a lot less threathening than a terminator deathwing, but would be as tough as termies.
For suppourt I would use 4 squads of scouts with sniper weapons and razorbacks. Again, they don't look threathening and can do a lot of damage. And they are cheap to.
Add on a really cheap command squad to draw all the fire on them, and you have the perfect army for battles where the opponent don't get to see your army list. :smallsmile:

Destro_Yersul
2007-10-24, 05:03 AM
My worst was in a game a while back with a friend of mine. This is turn... 3, I think. He's got his lord and cronies of said lord 18 inches away from my winged Daemon prince. "No problem" I think. My prince will jump over there, make mincemeat of them, and kill off the rest of em' on his turn. No getting shot at for me, no SIR."

So I move the prince over there. spend a few minutes in my shooting phase blasting away at something inconsequential, charge with a squad I'd been working into a position to do so, pass the turn.

"Wait. Why is my Daemon Prince still out in the open? CRAP!"

I had forgotten to charge with him.

CaptainSam
2007-10-24, 05:50 AM
I often forget about my Eldar Rangers, having infiltrated them into a really good position.

Story 1:

Harlequins, lovely models, buggers to get into combat. I was up against a mahoosive ork army and the player had spread his grotz out in a thin green line in front of the rest of the troops. I send the harlies forward to engage in hand to hand. As they're close enough to assault without doind a fleet of foot move, I decide to shoot the Nobz. Stupid harlequins fail their target priority roll (I have notoriously bad dice luck), take out half a dozen gretchin and can't assault the Nobz. Worse still, the casualties removed took the gretchins out of assault range.

Next turn, there were bits of harlequin all over the battlefield. Still, we laughed.

Story 2:

Five Howling Banshees and Jain Zar in a Wave Serpent. I move the transport in to deploy the girls for some choppy-chop fun. Unfortunately, I forgot the rule about travelling distance and letting troops out. Oops. So the girls are stuck in the Serpent and it's the Marine players turn.

He rushes some troops up and the spend the rest of the game pressing the "Close Door" button. The Wave Serpent then gets immobilised. For the rest of the game, my banshees are inside, trying to open the door, and his marines are outside, preventing deployment.

They never got into play. Still, we laughed.

Beleriphon
2007-10-24, 06:27 AM
Can't actually do that. The termis are destroyed- it's one of the risks of deep striking.

I don't recall which edition this was in, but I might have just actually landed them beside the unit and then charged in. Either way my melee heave terminators (Dark Angel terminators that are fearless mind you, and never retreat) are wiped out by a squad of rangers in close combat.

SmartAlec
2007-10-24, 07:17 AM
I don't recall which edition this was in, but I might have just actually landed them beside the unit and then charged in. Either way my melee heave terminators (Dark Angel terminators that are fearless mind you, and never retreat) are wiped out by a squad of rangers in close combat.

Can't move or assault after Deep Striking, either. :smallwink:

Edit - also reminds me of a ludicrous situation in which a squad of eight Khornate Beserkers charged a unit of 8 Crimson Fist Scouts and killed four. The Scouts fell back, rallied, and in the following turn rapid-fired their bolt pistols at the Beserkers... killing four.

In the end the Beserkers won, but with only two of their number left, they were easy meat for the guns of the rest of the army.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-24, 07:25 AM
That Terminator thing reminds me of a friends stupidest moment when I first started playing my Necrons...

He moved his Terminator Command Squad out of cover and into an open field so he could get a clean shot at me. He mowed down most of a large squad of warriors with a lord attached (the lord was unwounded and had an orb); on my turn the whole squad made their WBB rolls and all got up; No body moved, just rapid fired. Wiped the Termies out to a man.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-24, 02:14 PM
That Terminator thing reminds me of a friends stupidest moment when I first started playing my Necrons...

He moved his Terminator Command Squad out of cover and into an open field so he could get a clean shot at me. He mowed down most of a large squad of warriors with a lord attached (the lord was unwounded and had an orb); on my turn the whole squad made their WBB rolls and all got up; No body moved, just rapid fired. Wiped the Termies out to a man.

lol, now that sort of thing is priceless...

another just as bad had to be a moment of shear stupidity, or a reliance that one's terminator command squad is just invulnerable...

I was watching a tourney and was amazed by the tyranid army on the field...they looked really cool...lots of warriors, genestealers, a couple of hormagaunts and tyrants with a sniperfex painted really well. Against them, some marine chapter...possibly generic, painted blue, but also pretty well done. I saw what looked like a fairly mobile force with a large transport tank (land raider crusader most likely), a predator, several rhinos, and a scout and devastator squads on the table...the rhinos were obvously going to rush the nids and unload troops and I think that there was a dreadnaught in a drop pod...who knows why. I guess they didn't expect or have much experience with nids and they didn't seem that worried about close combat...they wanted to get in where they obviously felt that they were pretty much invulnerable. Probaly tooled for CC butt whoopin'.

Well, nids went first and lo and behold everythign surged forwards and tried to get into cover. Sniperfex took some pop shots at stuff but mostly just moving alot of models....of note was a group of genestealers with warriors right behind them that moved far ahead and into some 4+ cover pretty tightly packed to all be in cover, directly across from the land raider.

What came next had to have been the dumbest thing to ever do in 40k by most general's thoughts...he drove everythign forward and charged the nids everywhere he could...now...all in all, not the worst idea...but he charged genestealers in cover...with leaping rending warriors right up against them. While this happened in two locations, the worst was his command squad...he took no frag grenades and relied on his superior skills and armor to save him...what a stupid idea...I could swear 40 dice were willed and half of them were 6's to hit...rends...of the rest that hit, there were like 10 more wounds...the command squad was wiped out to a man and the stealers and warriors consolidated towards the tank...the other side saw the same happen with only one man surviving who failed his last man standing and get eaten...the other squads did ok against the hormagaunts and such, but didn't deliver any crushing blows...the next nid round saw the genestealers turn inward towards the center for countercharges while the faster warriors charged the devestator squads and killd them. By the end of marine turn 3 there was not a single marine on the table and only like 10 tyranid models dead... it was a slaughter...all because they got a little too frisky and charged densly packed rending squads in cover...

never do that...especially if you have no frag grenades...

Water_Walker
2007-10-24, 03:49 PM
@the marine player
Jerk. Just jerk.

I cannot report such moments since i know the codizes of my usual opponents much better than they do and I more or less taught them the rules of the game, so they have little room for such idiocies.

So your saying that I should just let the player keep playing the game Wrong and let him destroy my army (Before that turn the rokit boy had been using the small template. Funny how he seems to switch ammo right at a game turning moment) :smallcool:

Were-Sandwich
2007-10-25, 10:39 AM
Does anyone else play any sci-fi games other than 40K?

Winterwind
2007-10-25, 10:51 AM
Does anyone else play any sci-fi games other than 40K?Well, I play (Classic) BattleTech instead. I could even supply a stupid moment for that, when I was playing with a friend and we used Combat Values, instead of Battle Values to calculate the strength of our forces, leaving me with about 60% more Battle Value on the field than him - which, however, I compensated by forgetting to account for all the additional heat sinks coming with the respective configurations of my OmniMechs, thus overheating all the time. In the end, we thus (unintentionally) cheated ourselves so many times that, ultimately, we got ourselves a perfectly balanced and exciting match. :smallbiggrin:

However, it would seem to me that this thread is reserved for WH40k only, so why do you ask about people playing other games here?

Swordguy
2007-10-25, 10:51 AM

Not according to Games Workshop.

(Plays Battletech/Areotech, Silent Death, Centurion, Leviathan, Interceptor, StarFleet Battles, B5 Wars [both the AoG and Mongoose versions], GROPOS, and Full Thrust)

starwoof
2007-10-25, 11:48 AM
Ork rokkits don't have any blast at all. Its a thing to know. I think there needs to be some sort of test to play orks, becase not enough people understand the ork way.

What I think was the stupidest thing that ever happened to me in warhammer was a tourney I did a few years ago. I had my 26 model World eater army at a 1500 pt tourney. 8 Berzerkers, 8 Berzerkers, Lord on a Horse (don't ask), Dreadnought, 8 chosen of khorne, which turned out to be a 650 point unit. :smalleek:

The first game I lost, but my chosen took out half a marine army and took a vindicator shot dead on. I lost one model from that. The second game they hit the eldar flank and, through the power of sweeping advances, took out the entire left half of his army.

That was so stupid I swore off of chaos after that, because I have a soul. But now theres a new dex...

Its hard to remember the negative stupid things. I try to forget those. Except mech eldar. Mech eldar are dumb.

Bryn
2007-10-25, 12:15 PM
I happened to encounter the craziness of Sweeping Advance myself recently. Certainly not the worst example ever, but it was annoying.

I was playing a Cities of Death Combat Patrol game, Guard against Eldar. For the majority of the game, I had been enjoying almost perfect luck, with barely any Guard casualties (the worst being the Inquisitor, who stepped on a booby trap), and the Eldar player was down to two wraithguard and an accompanying Warlock. The objective was the largest building in the centre of the board, and the wraithguard had engaged me in combat. OK, Wraithguard are tough, but I had 30 guardsmen within assault range, and I thought I could crush the Eldar through sheer weight of numbers. So, I charged them all in, with another ten on their way.

The Wraithguard had the highest initiative, and they went first, killing one guardsman. No problem, I thought, 29 others, all crammed into a small space so they could all get their attacks. It was going to be a massacre. Except... it wasn't, and due to the massive toughness of Wraithguard, all 29 charging guardsmen failed to inflict even a single wound.

Well, that could have gone better, but surely it wasn't that bad. Only one guardsman had died, another squad was on their way to join in. Of course, since the wraithguard had inflicted one wound to my zero, they'd won the combat, but I wasn't overly worried.

Two of the squads passed the morale check easily. The other one failed by one point. There were nine left, though, they could regroup and come back for another go. Except, the wraithguard still had a high initiative, which was slightly worrying. Especially since I failed, and they all died.

So, thirty guardsmen run in, and one dies... so the rest of his squad promptly decide to run away, and get cut down. :smalleek: The two wraithguard are able to chase down all nine guardsmen, turn around, and carry on fighting.

Fortunately, with the arrival of the other squad, the rest of the guardsmen were luckier, and they killed the rest of the Eldar. But the loss of that squad hurt.

(By the way, I'm not complaining because I took casualties, that was to be expected. I'm complaining because of the ever-so slightly ridiculous way in which those casualties occured :smallcool:)

Swordguy
2007-10-25, 12:30 PM
Two of the squads passed the morale check easily. The other one failed by one point. There were nine left, though, they could regroup and come back for another go. Except, the wraithguard still had a high initiative, which was slightly worrying. Especially since I failed, and they all died.

So, thirty guardsmen run in, and one dies... so the rest of his squad promptly decide to run away, and get cut down. :smalleek: The two wraithguard are able to chase down all nine guardsmen, turn around, and carry on fighting.

It's been a while since I've played, but there were 4 units in that combat - 3 IG squads and a Wraithguard squad. Even if one of the IG squads broke, I didn't think you could sweeping advance OUT of a combat you're already in (with the other 2 squads). IIRC, the wraithguard should have had to stay there and fight it out with the 20 that didn't run...

Fallen Martyr
2007-10-25, 12:45 PM
I played in a tourny this weekend.

A guy had Generic Marines with allied Grey Knights. Grey Knight Master in terminator armor, 4 GK terminators, and a attached Librarian in terminator armor.
With upgrades, this is something like 600 points in a 1750 game.

I'm playing Necrons with 2 Monoliths.
He charges a unit of Flayed Ones and eats them. I drop a Particle Whip on the terminators. They all fail their saves. All of them. One shot, 600 points.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-25, 12:56 PM
It's been a while since I've played, but there were 4 units in that combat - 3 IG squads and a Wraithguard squad. Even if one of the IG squads broke, I didn't think you could sweeping advance OUT of a combat you're already in (with the other 2 squads). IIRC, the wraithguard should have had to stay there and fight it out with the 20 that didn't run...

I think the way it works is that the loser tries to run but noone goes anywhere until after the roll to see if they get away. If they run, then they can move...if they fail, they are cut down on the spot while trying to flee, then the winner can sweeping advance move. If they are still locked in combat, they cut down the runners, but have to stay put because they are still in combat and must pile into the current combat.

Though the failed leadership/initiative roll doesn't have to be interpreted as a slaughter by the enemy...it could be a very bad order followed by some not fast thinking by the rest of the squad that leaves them all incapacitated or otherwise out of combat.

Take the guard...it would be easy to see one trooper leading the charge while the officer tells his men to follow him through the breach...only to realize that the lead guy gets shot while holding a grenade...the officer can't call his men back in time and noone reacts quickly enough and the whole squad, bunched up, gets taken out by the grenade...maybe not dead, but knocked out by the blast and out of the fight.

Against nids it is just as well to say that they try and run but get trampled by the advancing horde...a single swipe of a dreadnaught arm sends the rest of the squad flying and they are all KO...a daemon prince channels powers from the warp and a blast of fire consumes everyone around him...ya know...fluffy stuff like that.

Though, it is sometimes more amusing to think that a single marine passes last man standing inflicts a single wound, scares the rest and then cuts them all down as they run in a brutal bloodbath...even more fun if it is a guardsmen who just 'snaps' *lol*

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-25, 12:58 PM

A guy had Generic Marines with allied Grey Knights. Grey Knight Master in terminator armor, 4 GK terminators, and a attached Librarian in terminator armor.

He charges a unit of Flayed Ones and eats them. I drop a Particle Whip on the terminators. They all fail their saves. All of them. One shot, 600 points.

I saw something like that against guard...a unit of terminators deep strikes...nicely in the shape of a pie plate...basalisk actually hits dead on...no saves...all dead...hilarious.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-25, 01:01 PM

That's awesome. Glad to see a fellow Necron takin' care of business.

UncleWolf
2007-10-25, 03:23 PM
I know it isn't 40k or even large army but my brother, my dad, and I all play Mordheim. The most embarassing moment for my brother and myself was something called "The Great Halfling Massacre"(the halflings weren't the ones massacred). My brother was a dwarven warband, I was mercenaries, and my dad was the halflings. after a few turns my brother and i get into close combat (he charged after my Youngblood killed his leader, Go 6"s!). When my dad's turn came he used his catapult and landed a blow into the middle of the melee. For halfling's, catapults only stun the enemy. Every turn after he would fire and then he would pin us to the ground with swarms of arrows. Within 6 turns my brother and I had to take route tests. My dad took all the treasure and never even lost a man. Well, half of one anyway.:smalltongue:

UncleWolf
2007-10-25, 03:26 PM

Now THAT is the funniest thing i've heard of in a while.

UncleWolf
2007-10-25, 03:30 PM

I play OGRE occaisonally

Logic Cannon
2007-10-25, 03:44 PM
I'm sure I'll come up with my absolute stupidest moment in 40K eventually, but most of the 40K-related stupidity I see relates to super-elite squads. Players (especially newer ones) seem to love fielding units worth 500+ points in the expectations that somehow this one uber-unit will completely destroy the enemy army. There's nothing I enjoy seeing more than such units being wiped out to the man by a well-placed fusion-gun barrage or Leman Russ pie plate template or something else of the sort. Events like that sort out new players rather quickly.

Water_Walker
2007-10-25, 05:19 PM
Another funny moment. My marines are facing eldar the eldar player has a big squad of Fire dragons, with Autarch and tooled up wave serpent. Long story short meltagun shot and a lot of boltguns = Dead fire serpents. Apparently his whole plan resolved on the killing my Land raider and my drednaught. Go figure

Logic Cannon
2007-10-25, 05:55 PM
Another funny moment. My marines are facing eldar the eldar player has a big squad of Fire dragons, with Autarch and tooled up wave serpent. Long story short meltagun shot and a lot of boltguns = Dead fire serpents. Apparently his whole plan resolved on the killing my Land raider and my drednaught. Go figure

Your opponent was walking fire dragons and an autarch at you? Where was the transport vehicle? Was he just expecting the fire dragons to beat you with harsh language?

Mc. Lovin'
2007-10-25, 06:02 PM

what about that poor kid who tried to explain to you how necrons came from mars?
He'll never be the same again ...

Kojiro Kakita
2007-10-25, 07:53 PM
@Apelord69

Technically the kid may be hitting part of the truth. Well, that is if you think the Necro C'Tan, the Dragon, is stuck on Mars and that is what the machine god actually is.

Logic Cannon
2007-10-25, 07:57 PM
@Apelord69

Technically the kid may be hitting part of the truth. Well, that is if you think the Necro C'Tan, the Dragon, is stuck on Mars and that is what the machine god actually is.

There's a fair amount of background to back up that interpretation too.

comicshorse
2007-10-25, 08:45 PM
This is from WFRP not 40 K but:
The G.m. had been running a Warhammer FRP game for 5 yearts and we'd risen into the nobility and gotten involved in a imperial civil war which the G.m. decided to run as a series of battles. 2,000 points each apart from the final battle which would be 4,000 plus extra's depending on how well you'd done in previous battles.
Opening battle was me ( Nuln) vs a mate of the G.m.S ( Altdorf). Troops available to us were drawn randomly by the G.m from his list of what each Electorship has.
For this battle I draw a very cavalry army, he draws loads of infantry. I'm chuffed cause I've got two units of Pistolers which are excellent light cavalry.
Due to excellent scouting by my hafling allies I get to bring one unit of them on the field behind him and they immediately charge his archers. The Pistoliers are crack troops, they're charging, they are on horses and they've got decent armour and swords, his archers have leather and knives. The Pistoliers completely fail to hurt one archer, the archers hit back wound two pistoliers who immediately rout of the table.
Later in the battle on the opposite flank the other unit of Pistoliers charge a similairly poorly equipped unit of archers and again lose and rout. This time to add insult to injury they even get a chance to rally which they fail and rout of the table.
I managed to draw the battle thanks to excellent work by my artillery, Nuln's saviour. At the end the G.M. would roll to see which casualties in teh battle were actuallt dead and which just wounded or fled. When he gets to roll for the Pistoliers I tell him don't bother they're all dead. How come he asks, 'cause I'm hanging any survivors for cowardice I reply.

Narmoth
2007-10-26, 03:40 AM
... I managed to draw the battle thanks to excellent work by my artillery, Nuln's saviour. At the end the G.M. would roll to see which casualties in teh battle were actuallt dead and which just wounded or fled. When he gets to roll for the Pistoliers I tell him don't bother they're all dead. How come he asks, 'cause I'm hanging any survivors for cowardice I reply.

It would be fun if such a sacrifice of units boosted morale in game, so by having the posibillity to field one less pistolers unit gave you +1 on your routing checks

UncleWolf
2007-10-26, 12:04 PM
Yeah, especially if you were Guard

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-26, 01:44 PM
Yeah, especially if you were Guard

you can...it is called a commisar...he'll execure the leader of a squad that fails a morale check and then the squad automatically passes :smallbiggrin: ...or rerolls...I can't remember.

Very Soviet Russia from WWII...

LordVader
2007-10-26, 02:19 PM
They don't automatically pass or reroll, I believe, they just ignore it, turn, and fight.

Dorizzit
2007-10-26, 03:33 PM
Classic Imperium.

"Uh, mister Commissar sir? He wasn't running away. He just tripped."

*Chainsword through the neck*

"Anyone else want to question my judgement?"

(In unison) *Sir no sir!*

SmartAlec
2007-10-26, 04:09 PM
Another crazy game - 500 point Cityfight, back when Cityfight was called Cityfight. Crimson Fist all-scout army vs. Tyranids.

Stupid event 1: The foe had a Carnifex, upgraded to have a 2+ armour save. Unfortunately, my force had no power weapons, and no ranged weapons with an AP of greater than 3 (our solitary missile launcher). Realising that the only things I have that stand a chance of taking down this monster are my 2 close combat teams - 8 scouts in each - I send them Carnifex-hunting.

In the ensuing battle, the two scout squads send a grand total of 127 bolt pistol shots/close combat attacks at the Carnifex, hoping for weight of numbers and luck of the dice to eliminate the creature before it can get to my firebase, where my bolter-and-sniper scouts are plugging away at Gaunts. We're wounding the 'fex on a 6 and it has a 2+ save, but surely, surely the 'fex's meagre three wounds will be whittled down?

It's not to be. Despite showing amazing fortitude and bravery, and dying to a man in combat, the 'fex doesn't take a single wound from our repeated assaults.

Stupid event 2: The shotgun-armed Scouts are holding the other flank, hunkering in cover and blasting at a wave of Gaunts. Despite being outnumbered 3-1, the 8 brave souls cause enough carnage to defeat and break the Gaunt squad, though they lose 7 of their number.

In the closing stages of the game, when it seems like I've lost for sure and all that remains is to sell our lives dearly, the lone shotgun scout emerges from cover, running towards the HQ squad of 3 Tyranid Warriors. With some exceptional fortune, he guns one down with his shotgun (assault 2!), charges and manages to kill a second, before the third rips him apart in the following turn.

A doomed effort, but no less valiant for that, and all the more spectacular for being so staggeringly unlikely.

Narmoth
2007-10-26, 04:24 PM
Nice battle that one.
I'll have to agree on the first stupidity of not bringing power weapons agaist the carnifex (you could at least have given terminator honours to the scout sergeant so he had acces to the armoury), but the 2nd "stupid moment" is more a realistic display of fortune and misforune in combat. I think it kind of cool actually.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-26, 08:06 PM
Nice battle that one.
I'll have to agree on the first stupidity of not bringing power weapons agaist the carnifex (you could at least have given terminator honours to the scout sergeant so he had acces to the armoury), but the 2nd "stupid moment" is more a realistic display of fortune and misforune in combat. I think it kind of cool actually.

TMC's ignore weapons that 'ignore armor saves' as a special rule don't they and save against them as normal? If you beat them on AP there is nothing they can do, but if it just 'allows no save' they get one because they are big tough and very mean. A Power weapon or even a c'tan blade should still allow a save by a carnifex...doesn't it?

Or do I need to read the TMC data again...:smallconfused:

Edit...I just reread the section...I could have sworn that TMC's had a rule somewhere that allowed them to save against wounds that couldnot be saved against somehow...or am I thinking of the 3rd ed codex or something?

Anyways...yeah...bring a powerfist to the party next time.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-26, 08:21 PM
Say what you will about Sweeping Advances, at least they're not as bad as they were in 3rd edition, when any squad that broke its opponents could sweep 2d6" after it.

I remember a joint Ultramarines/Blood Angels army taking on an army of Orks. The Blood Angels had a Furioso Dreadnaught and a bunch of death company to the front; they were on the right flank, the Ultramarines were on the left.

Alas for the Orks, their plan involved a "left hook" maneuver with a refused flank. Long story short, the Furioso rampaged across the board and was in the Ork deployment zone while the Ultramarines, not meeting any close combat resistance could not sweeping advance, thus were a lot slower, thus were not halfway across the table.

Basically, the more resistance you meet the faster you go. Aristotle would not have approved. :smallwink:

Bryn
2007-10-29, 01:15 PM
@Apelord69

Indeed there is; that and the events described on page 11 of the Necron codex, in which five Necron spacecraft attempted to land on mars but were destroyed, certainly hints of the presence of Necrons there. Apelord69 is exaggerating somewhat, all I did (if I recall correctly which I probably don't) was counter his assertions that all Necrons come from mars, meaning that the game we were playing had to be taking place on Mars. Perhaps my rebuttal was slightly stronger than it should have been, but I highly doubt that he'll 'never be the same again' :smalltongue: