PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing an un-optimized Sword Bard

1Pirate
2019-12-19, 04:03 AM
I recently started a campaign at level 3. I wasn't quite sure how it was going to go, so I wanted to at least have a subclass online for the first session before I started thinking about multiclassing or anything, so I made a changeling(Eb Rising version--though this isn't an Eberron campaign) Bard College of Swords. I sort of thought of his main persona being a stage magician who uses blades a lot in his act(although I forgot to take Performance, but eh, I decided he just wasn't the best magician out there).

Stats after racials(rolled obvi): 9, 18, 15, 10, 14, 18

Skills: Acrobatics, Deception(Expertise), Intimidation, Perception, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand(Expertise), Stealth

I went TWF. Studded leather was cheaper than any of the better Medium Armors(don't know if the DM will go for it, but I harbor dreams of getting Glamoured Studded Leather).

Cantrips: Prestidigitation(in line with a magician persona)

Friends(this is pretty sweet when you've basically got Mask of Many Faces as a racial ability)

Spells: 1st: Healing Word, Thunderwave, Dissonant Whispers, Comprehend Languages, Tasha's Hideous Laughter

2nd: Suggestion

The final party composition isn't entirely clear, there's definitely a wizard and a fighter(oddly, their subclasses didn't come up during the first session. Mine only came out when I used a Flourish), and possibly(as in I don't know how committed the player is yet) a vengeance paladin.

I'm flexible on the leveled spells, but I've otherwise got my flavor I like. So, I'm wondering how to make it better going forward(I'm not sure how long the campaign will go on, so if multi-classing's involved, I'd prefer something that doesn't require more than a level or two before it's "online").

Edit: No UA at the moment.

CTurbo
2019-12-19, 04:14 AM
What's unoptimized about it?

Definitely don't consider multiclassing until AFTER Bard 5 at the very least for the short rest Inspiration dice and 3rd level spells and really Bard 6 is big for you since it gives you a 2nd main attack. At level 4 either bump Dex or Cha or take something like Inspiring Leader.

I don't know what you're wanting out of the character. 5e Bards are great because you can sculpt them into almost anything you want. Have you looked at any 5e Bard guides?

Contrast
2019-12-19, 04:15 AM
I'm flexible on the leveled spells, but I've otherwise got my flavor I like. So, I'm wondering how to make it better going forward(I'm not sure how long the campaign will go on, so if multi-classing's involved, I'd prefer something that doesn't require more than a level or two before it's "online").

The real question is what you want the character to do. Swords bards (like all bards) should still really be using combat as a last resort - if you stay primarily bard that isn't really going to change.

If you do plan on running into melee you're probably going to want to pick up Res Con and Warcaster for maintaining concentration purposes. Inspiring Leader may also be a good shout in terms of making you (and everyone else as a nice side benefit) slightly more survivable.

airless_wing
2019-12-19, 09:45 AM
There is nothing unoptimized here by any means!

Swords Bards are a blast, especially once that second attack comes online. I'm playing one as a frontline in a campaign and, while not optimal, his at-will boosts to AC help immensely.
Personally, I'd put those two 18s in Charisma and Dexterity, and the 15 in Constitution. The others can do as you see fit. That gives you a decent boost from your TWF style, and solid bonuses for all your attacks and spells.

I'd pick up Cloud of Daggers: it pairs VERY well with Mobile Flourishes if your placement is good. Forcing an enemy into an extra 4d4 damage on top of your attack damage and flourish damage is lovely. (As a fun example: Two attacks with Dex 18 & a single Mobile Flourish into a Cloud fo daggers will deal 2d6 + 1d6 + 4d4 + 8 = 28.5 damage on average.)

In general, Defensive Flourishes are you go-to option: an At-will 1-6 boost to AC is Huge, and it only gets better when your bardic inspiration upgrades.

As for your ASI: Considering your Dex and Charisma are already super solid, taking Resilient (Con) to give you more HP as well as better concentration Saves. I wouldn't pick Dual Wielder, as the extra damage is barely noticeable, and you need to wield different weapons to get the AC bonus, which further reduces that potential damage by going dual longswords.

CheddarChampion
2019-12-19, 09:58 AM
I agree with the other posters so far: get to level 6 in Barb before considering multiclassing.
At level 4 take Dex+2, Cha+2, Resilient (Constitution), or Inspiring Leader.
Warcaster is maybe something you want to pick up at later levels, specifically for debuffing as a reaction. For now +1 Con Mod and proficiency in Con saves is probably better.
Do not take Dual Wielder. Dex+2 is almost entirely better - skills, saves, accuracy, and initiative vs draw two weapons at once.

For spell selection, consider hold person if you think you'll fight enough humanoids. Paralysis is great (when applied to enemies).

Teaguethebean
2019-12-19, 10:13 AM
Your build seems solid though I would drop two weapon fighting in favor of dueling. By level 5 you should be passing out. Healing words and Bardic Inspiration instead of 1 attack even less so by Level 6.

Contrast
2019-12-19, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't pick Dual Wielder, as the extra damage is barely noticeable, and you need to wield different weapons to get the AC bonus, which further reduces that potential damage by going dual longswords.

I agree with not bothering with Dual Wielder but you can use two of the same type of weapon. The word separate is in there as if it was just when 'when you wield a weapon in each hand' it could be argued this would also apply to two-handed weapons. Two longswords are still two separate longswords, even though they're both longswords.

Also I assume you meant dual rapiers anyway as its a dex build :smalltongue:

1Pirate
2019-12-19, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the input! Maybe I thought he wasn’t optimized because I took TWF(since it seemed to me I’d have to forego a chance to use Insipiration if I wanted to bonus action attack, and Dueling seemed like it would be better once I got extra attack)

I guess maybe my follow up question is what to pick up going forward depending on what happens with the Paladin. If he doesn’t come and the party needs a little more straight up attacking, how should I spend my ASIs/spells/cantrips? If he does come and the party doesn’t need as much attacking, what should I do then?

airless_wing
2019-12-19, 03:30 PM
TWF is actually fairly good for a Swords Bard, since their flourishes only work on a hit. Getting any extra chance to hit and activate your AC bonus is better than gaining some tiny damage bonus imo.

No matter what the Paladin does, I'd stick with my initial advice for ASIs and party role. Resilient (Con) gets you a very respectable HP pool, and gives you a solid chance of passing those concentration saves. That's valuable regardless of team composition. But the argument can be made that 20 Charisma boosts everything you do, so that's a solid choice if you aren't the sole frontline fighter.

Even in a party of heavy hitters, you're still a bard with a great spell selection and solid buffs. As a swords bard, you can either boost your allies or yourself with your inspiration; you'll always have a use for your inspiration, no matter the situation or composition.