PDA

View Full Version : Catfolk race

Lolzords
2007-10-20, 05:05 PM
Hey, I was messing around with my books and I decided to be orignal and try and stat out a Catfolk race.

This is what I have so far...

Catfolk

+2 climb - use dex instead of str
+2 hide
+2 move silently
+4 jump - use dex instead of str
Darkvision 60ft
DC15 for avoiding damage from 20ft instead of 10ft.
Medium
Upright speed 20ft, all fours speed 40ft.

The bonuses are half of what the cat in monster manual has, I was thinking a penalty to swim and to anything that you need to use your fingers for. (open lock, disable device, ect)

What do you think?

Anxe
2007-10-20, 05:08 PM
Looks pretty balanced to me, but one problem. This is the Gaming thread and this a Homebrew topic.

I do like the race. I'd give it a +2 Dex -2 Wis.

AslanCross
2007-10-20, 05:11 PM
Oh no, you're only making more fodder for physics-in-fantasy discussions! D:

There actually is a Catfolk race in Races of the Wild. They get +4 DEX, +2 CHA, 40 feet speed, low light vision, bonuses to listen and move silently, and a +1 natural armor bonus. Favored class is ranger, LA +1.

Lolzords
2007-10-20, 05:13 PM
Looks pretty balanced to me, but one problem. This is the Gaming thread and this a Homebrew topic.

Whoops, thanks for the pointer, and +2 dex -2 wis sounds good.

I was also gonna make a dogfolk race and an anphibious race but I looked at Gnolls and lizard folk.

Machete
2007-10-20, 06:21 PM
I'm currently working on my own version of the Catfolk. A high value is put on the dexterity and speed their flavor suggests fso it is hard to make it work without it seeming either unbalanced or boring.

Irreverent Fool
2007-10-20, 07:14 PM
There is a catfolk race in the Miniatures Handbook pg. 56. They're actually called 'Catfolk' interesting enough.

+4 dex, +2 charisma, 40 move, low-light vision, +2 listen & move silently, + 1 nat armor, Fav. Class ranger, +1 LA

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-20, 07:19 PM
I think it'd be helpful to know something: HOW will the catfolk look? humanlike with cat traits, like claws? Anthropomorphic cats? Will they be resembling of werewolves, without the alignment thingy and all the other jazz? an explanation would be nice.

DraPrime
2007-10-20, 07:32 PM
There's already catfolk in Miniatures Handbook and Races of the Wild. This is good, but this should be in the Homebrew Forums.

Solo
2007-10-20, 07:34 PM
Mmm... catgirls.

I basec my homebrew catgirl race on humans, but with +2 to climb, jump, move silently, tumble, and hide, +2 dex, -2 int or wis, low light vision, and no human bonus feat or skill points.

Machete
2007-10-20, 07:36 PM
My catfolk (the current draft anyways) are:

No LA Catfolk

30 ft. speed

+4 DEX -2 STR

Low Light Vision

Sprint- As a Swift Action, a catfolk can add 30 feet to its speed (unnamed bonus) for a number of rounds equal to 3 + half its HD (rounded up) to a maximum of 8 rounds per sprint. A catfolk can only use this ability once per hour due to the strains on the body. Each time an extra time in an hour, it causes 1 CON damage. This ability can only be used when a catfolk is wearing light or no armor and is carrying a light load or less and is not Fatigued or Exhausted and ends immediately if one of these conditions ensues.

Short Attention Span: Concentration is always a Cross-Class Skill for a Catfolk

Primal Emotions: -3 to all Will Saves

Alignment: Same as LA +1 Catfolk
Appearance: Same as LA +1 Catfolk
Social Structure: Same as LA +1 Catfolk
Culture: Same as LA +1 Catfolk

With all these catfolks floating around, maybe we'll see a LA+0 Catfolk race be more prominent in 4E.

Swordguy
2007-10-20, 07:44 PM

The problem with giving them a WIS penalty is that it hurts their perceptive powers. Is that how one usually thinks of a cat - bad senses? I'd give +2 DEX, -2 STR if I had to give them a penalty at all.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-20, 07:45 PM
If you want incredible catgirls, there's only one good answer: D&D wikipedia. Best suite of catgirls evah.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-21, 02:30 AM
There's already 1 dogfolk race called the Lupins ( page 36 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf and http://pandius.com/lupn3e_2.html).
Also, regarding the Wisdom deficite, you could add an extra +1 to Spot and Listen checks in order to show that the Wisdom penalty is caused by poor common sense rather then being unobservant.

cupkeyk
2007-10-21, 03:46 AM
And there is also the Cat Moreau from d20 modern.

Hecore
2007-10-21, 03:46 AM
Why not give them the Alertness feat? Not only does it correct the spot/listen issue but it works wonderfully for fluff.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-21, 03:54 AM
You could also use the Sibbecai and Litorians from Arcana Evolved.

Threeshades
2007-10-21, 03:58 PM
Whoops, thanks for the pointer, and +2 dex -2 wis sounds good.

I was also gonna make a dogfolk race and an anphibious race but I looked at Gnolls and lizard folk.

Gnolls are NOT dogs. They are Hyenas and Hyenas are not even remotely related to dogs. They are more closely related to weasels actually.

Snadgeros
2007-10-21, 04:07 PM
Don't forget that they get a -100 penalty on all rolls whenever physics are used! :tongue:

In all seriousness, if this ever gets converted from homebrew into RAW, it's going to be the biggest furry bait since Krystal from StarFox! :eek:

Threeshades
2007-10-21, 04:14 PM
Don't forget that they get a -100 penalty on all rolls whenever physics are used! :tongue:

In all seriousness, if this ever gets converted from homebrew into RAW, it's going to be the biggest furry bait since Krystal from StarFox! :eek:

Only applies for females.

I think a simple +1 or 2 to listen and spot would pretty much even out the perceptive powers. I dont think that needs the actual feat "alertness". and actually allows still taking it for extra bonus

osyluth
2007-10-21, 04:25 PM
there are so many catfolk races that people invent why cant they just use the on in races of the wild?

Snadgeros
2007-10-21, 04:33 PM
You're all saying the bonuses that Catgirls get, but I can also think of several plausible penalties:

-Swim checks (BIG penalty here)
-Disguise (As humanoids, they've got big ears and a tail!)
-Use rope (okay, that one's just a joke because they like string)
-Vision/spot penalty in daylight (It's only superior in darkness to human vision)
-Saves against poison (Cats are highly sensitive to toxins)
-And maybe some penalty to con or str to account for their frailty

All of this would of course be to counter the bonuses it would get to balance, move silently, dexterity, jump, perhaps intelligence or wisdom, reflex saves, escape artist, climb, spot (in darkness), and listen. If you give them nothing but bonuses, then EVERYONE will want to play them. There has to be a catch.

Wiz_the_Wizard
2007-10-22, 05:15 PM
This already exists. Check Races of the WIld.