PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Heard of O.L.D.?

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-19, 07:22 PM
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/images/87/209297.jpg

Title pretty much says it all. Doing a sort of general interest check for O.L.D., the fancy, new-ish generic fantasy RPG ruleset by the folks at E.N. Publishing. It's an interesting system, honestly. Career-based character generation, d6 dice pool skill system, and a freeform magic system that's honestly quite refreshing. But try as I might, it seems like it's a relative unknown. Would love to know if anyone here has any experience in running it. Or (one can dream) would have any interest in playing in a game that uses it. Though, I'll save that sort of wishful thinking for a possible recruitment thread.

Here's a link to the SRD (https://sites.google.com/site/woinrrd/home), and one to the DriveThru page (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/209297/OLD-The-Fantasy-Heroic-Roleplaying-Game-v12), in case I've managed to spark anyone's interest.

Mödley Crüe: Image placed behind spoiler for mobile viewers.

Anonymouswizard
2019-12-20, 04:23 AM
I've heard of O.L.D., N.E.W, and W.O.I.N., but I've never actually looked at them beyond the most brief glances.

I mean, I'd like to know more, but when I already own three generic systems it's kind of a tough sell.

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-20, 09:50 AM
Heh. I can certainly understand the trepidation. After buying GeneSys myself, and seeing all the other systems out there, I thought it was gonna take a lot to get me to buy into something wholly new again.

The thing is, though, O.L.D., and by extension N.E.W. (I can't speak for N.O.W., personally) won me over because, despite being a genericised system. Each book had some of the most intense genre-feel I'd experienced since cracking open 5e many years prior. The addition of career grades as the main method of advancement meant that, backed right into Chargen, you had an immediate connection to the sorts of genre-appropriate things that makes fantasy feel like, well, fantasy. Mages, knights, druids. Hell, even traders, musicians, and blacksmiths! All were available and, under the system, each one provided decent utility as a choice. Meaning you didn't have to feel like you were making a mistake by going for flavour. Something other systems, I feel, are guilty of doing far too often.

Add on fun stuff like the magic system (seriously, it's really quite fun), and straightforward rules for overland travel and strongholds, and I'd certainly say the SRD is at least worth a glance. And if I'm not mistaken, the PDF may be on sale. So that might be worth a look too.

GrayDeath
2019-12-20, 04:44 PM
That ...a ctually sounds pretty interesting. Thank you!

So, you know, IF you start a recruitment to try it on Site, I am interested ^^

Beleriphon
2019-12-20, 05:39 PM
For straight on genre feel WOIN is the system that powers the Judge Dredd RPG and the eventual Worlds of 2000 A.D. RPG.

It also has an active and fun community on EN World. Morrus posts regularly and responds to feedback about the game.

Lucas Yew
2019-12-21, 09:45 PM
I like the system quite well. It's OGL compliant (legally free), just simulationist enough, and martial archetypes working well with casteresque ones (especially with chi). Plus using only the easily accessed d6s is a merit in its own right.

The only gripes might be that Agility is still a loaded stat, MAG/CHI/PSI pools tally up differently, and there are two versions of the Warrior-Monk career with only one of them (the N.O.W. version) having a regular CHI increase (and that one should have been the norm).

Tanarii
2019-12-21, 11:15 PM
Dice pool that's additive, as opposed to TN success based? No thanks.

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-22, 11:06 AM
I like the system quite well. It's OGL compliant (legally free), just simulationist enough, and martial archetypes working well with casteresque ones (especially with chi). Plus using only the easily accessed d6s is a merit in its own right.

The only gripes might be that Agility is still a loaded stat, MAG/CHI/PSI pools tally up differently, and there are two versions of the Warrior-Monk career with only one of them (the N.O.W. version) having a regular CHI increase (and that one should have been the norm).

Fair enough. Though, I do appreciate that O.L.D. at least marginally allows you to key off non-agility stats for determining your AC, if I recall. All depending on the specific "defensive skill" you build up.

I don't actually own N.O.W., sadly. But I can see how that would be an issue. Though, I can certainly see why they did it, since Chi is meant to be N.O.W.'s "thing" in terms of genre-indicative mechanics. But again, it is still a valid gripe. I will however respectfully disagree on the different point pools tallying up differently being a bad thing. For me, it helps to add to the feeling that each mechanic is distinct from the other, and has it's own "feel", if that makes sense.

Fun fact, though, if you go to the SRD, there is actually a cleared-up conversion mechanism for MAG/CHI/PSI if you use more than one. 1 CHI = 2 PP = 3 MAG. Not sure if the math is forgiving there, but it's at least nice to have.

Dice pool that's additive, as opposed to TN success based? No thanks.

I mean... Alright? To each their own, I guess. Seems kinda weird to show up to a forum thread just to say you aren't interested, but happy holidays, regardless.

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-22, 11:17 AM
That ...a ctually sounds pretty interesting. Thank you!

So, you know, IF you start a recruitment to try it on Site, I am interested ^^

Apologies for the double post, but I felt bad about not acknowledging this. Appreciate the enthusiasm, Gray! No plans to post a recruitment thread anytime soon. But if I do, you're definitely on the hotlist! :smallbiggrin:

Tanarii
2019-12-22, 11:29 AM
I mean... Alright? To each their own, I guess. Seems kinda weird to show up to a forum thread just to say you aren't interested, but happy holidays, regardless.
I thought you were looking for feedback on it. Because it seems kinda weird to make a post on a forum thread saying "anyone played this" without looking for feedback. :smallwink:

I haven't played this particular game. But I checked it out, because I'm always interested in new games, and I like seeing what they've done mechanically.

I've got various RPG experience with games that have a resolution mechanic of single die roll, percentage die roll, dice pools with TNs. I don't think I've played one with additive dice before though. But it elicited a strong reaction, because Dice Pools with TNs already are slow enough. Seperate out higher than TN dice, count them, is already slow. IMX adding dice is MUCH slower than counting TN exceeded dice, for pretty much everyone. This would be fine if you only make a check once in a blue moon, but in Dice Pool games that almost always breaks down when you enter combat and start making attack (and sometime defense) rolls. It's bad enough with TN dice pools, where you quickly separate out (e.g.) all 7+ on the dice and count N of them.

So ... the primarily thing that makes this game different from others is a negative for me. A big one, because it's going to affect game play constantly. Enough so my first reaction was I don't want to put together a play test group.

OTOH two recent games we tested were Exalted 2e and Forbidden Lands, both Dice Pool games. Exalted wasn't well received because gameplay was clunky. Forbidden Lands was a hit and I know have a regular weekly session for it. So maybe I'll give this a couple of sessions trial run.

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-22, 11:44 AM
I thought you were looking for feedback on it. Because it seems kinda weird to make a post on a forum thread saying "anyone played this" without looking for feedback. :smallwink:

I haven't played this particular game. But I checked it out, because I'm always interested in new games, and I like seeing what they've done mechanically.

I've got various RPG experience with games that have a resolution mechanic of single die roll, percentage die roll, dice pools with TNs. I don't think I've played one with additive dice before though. But it elicited a strong reaction, because Dice Pools with TNs already are slow enough. Seperate out higher than TN dice, count them, is already slow. IMX adding dice is MUCH slower than counting TN exceeded dice, for pretty much everyone. This would be fine if you only make a check once in a blue moon, but in Dice Pool games that almost always breaks down when you enter combat and start making attack (and sometime defense) rolls. It's bad enough with TN dice pools, where you quickly separate out (e.g.) all 7+ on the dice and count N of them.

So ... the primarily thing that makes this game different from others is a negative for me. A big one, because it's going to affect game play constantly. Enough so my first reaction was I don't want to put together a play test group.

OTOH two recent games we tested were Exalted 2e and Forbidden Lands, both Dice Pool games. Exalted wasn't well received because gameplay was clunky. Forbidden Lands was a hit and I know have a regular weekly session for it. So maybe I'll give this a couple of sessions trial run.

Ahhh. See, the way you phrased it made it sound like you heard my pitch, then immediately left. Which doesn't really strike is as "feedback" as much as a random hot take. Apologies.

I won't deny that TN/Success-based die systems are on their face "faster." And I'm sure for a lot of people it's appreciated as such. But in my personal experience, the mental math required to add up a handful of dice isn't actually that big or annoying a task. Maybe it's just the people I tend to run with, but it's never really been much of a problem for me or my group(s).

With regards to W.O.I.N.'s line specifically, the addition of "Grades" to the system (more or less a stand-in for power levels, which limits how many career grades you have at a given point in time) makes it so there's a fairly solid limit on how big a dice pool can get at a given power level. Which helps keep the math tight for both practical purposes (i.e. counting it up) and mechanical puroses (e.g. making it so there's mathematical parity between PCs and enemies). Add on the fact that, if counting dice is really a big issue for an individual, then they could just use a die roller app, and I think that while such a statement as yours is a legitimate criticism, it probably isn't nearly as big an issue as it might appear on its face.

Tanarii
2019-12-22, 12:27 PM
Add on the fact that, if counting dice is really a big issue for an individual, then they could just use a die roller app, and I think that while such a statement as yours is a legitimate criticism, it probably isn't nearly as big an issue as it might appear on its face.Thou Shalt Burn in Fire! Abomination! Hereteck!

Seriously though, that's the obviously solution. Just not one my grognard ass could accept. Spell cards & dice towers are one thing. But electronic devices clearly don't belong at a gaming table.

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-22, 01:06 PM
Thou Shalt Burn in Fire! Abomination! Hereteck!

Seriously though, that's the obviously solution. Just not one my grognard ass could accept. Spell cards & dice towers are one thing. But electronic devices clearly don't belong at a gaming table.

As I said before, to each their own.

Happy Holidays, old-timer. :smalltongue:

Tanarii
2019-12-22, 01:31 PM
As I said before, to each their own.

Happy Holidays, old-timer. :smalltongue:i'll see if I can drum up some interest in a play test session this week and let you know how it goes. I can get even get some young whippersnappers to try it with a dice rolling app. :smalleek:

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-22, 02:09 PM
i'll see if I can drum up some interest in a play test session this week and let you know how it goes. I can get even get some young whippersnappers to try it with a dice rolling app. :smalleek:

Feel free, my dude! Definitely interested to see how it goes!

ngilop
2019-12-22, 05:21 PM
I took a gander at it. The system looked decent maybe. My big complaint is I have no ide what a single abbreviation is. If someone could tell me what they all mean maybe I could get excited about actually learning the system.

Would have been WONDERFUL if the OP had stated what the acronyms are, as the OP themselves made this thread asking if anyone had heard of the system in question.

Capt. Infinity
2019-12-22, 06:24 PM
I took a gander at it. The system looked decent maybe. My big complaint is I have no ide what a single abbreviation is. If someone could tell me what they all mean maybe I could get excited about actually learning the system.

Would have been WONDERFUL if the OP had stated what the acronyms are, as the OP themselves made this thread asking if anyone had heard of the system in question.

Ahh, I see the confusion. See, this thread was me searching for people who'd already played the system. You know, see just how niche this thing is. If I had known I would've ended up pitching the thing to people who'd never heard of it, then yeah, I would've lead with a bit more thorough of a breakdown. My bad, I suppose. ^^;

Though, in terms of acronyms... Bit of a cheeky secret here, but "O.L.D", "N.O.W.", and "N.E.W." aren't actually real acronyms. They don't stand for anything. Only real acronyms are "W.O.I.N.", which stands for "What's O.L.D. is N.E.W.", which describes the overall system, "MP" which stands for "Magic Points", and "PP", which stands for "Power Points." Though, I'd assumed (perhaps foolishly) that those last two were common enough shorthand that they didn't need overt explaining.