PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Miko

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-20, 05:47 PM
My friend who's running a FR campaign for an evil-aligned party suggested I repeat Miko's escapades and turn up as a Paladin to arrest one of them for crimes, and was hoping for advice on equipment/tactics. First, the party:

Fighter 6 (Standard Greatsword)
Rogue 5 (TWF Flanker, usually works in tangent with fighter)
Cleric of Garados 6 (Destruction and War Domains)
Wizard 6 (Largely Evocation and Utility Spells)
Warmage 6 (My quarry)

And I'll be a Paladin of Tyr 11. I'm starting out with 33,000 gp, and got nice roles for the job. Here's my Stat/Feat Selection so far:

STR 18 (+4)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 18 (+4)
CHA 12 (+1)

Power Attack
Serenity (Wis to Paladin abilities instead of Cha)
Swift Summon (Summon Mount as Swift Action)
Improved Initiative
Quick Draw

Skills
Use Rope Maxxed, and have silk rope. Warmage doesn't have any still feats, and couldn't break out of a good bind.

Spells per day: 2/2/1

Equipment
My friend is giving me a +2 Merciful Longsword (so that's 18,315gp spent), and I'm to try my damnest to take him alive, so it could open up a plot hook if I manage to pull this off.

My intended tactics, assuming I end up fighting the whole party, and have been studying them for a while:

1. Before confronting them, cast Bull's Strength, Owl's Wisdom (For better saves) and Righteous Fury (+4 sacred bonus to strength, 25 temp hp)
2. Confront the Warmage with his crimes and offer him a chance to surrender.
3. Again, do a Miko, and throw an entangling bag at him.
4. Summon my mount (probably a warhorse), and get him to charge and grapple the Wizard or Cleric.
5. Take down the rogue, because sneak attack hurts. If possible, throw another bag at whoever I didn't have the mount grapple.
6. After rogue falls, go for the fighter, then the cleric, then wizard. Meanwhile, my mount is chipping away hit points from whoever it's grappling.
7. If I succeed and party is subdued, take 20 on use rope check and take warmage away. He has mediocre dex and no ranks in escape artist, so he's not getting away.

So, any critiques? What other equipment should I get? What mount would be best for this encounter, and what tactics would be best? Also, who should I use my smites on? I know I'm meant to lose, but that doesn't mean I can't try to win.

The Glyphstone
2007-10-20, 06:33 PM
Ring of Evasion. No questions. All those evocation Reflex blasties that'll be getting chucked at you, you'll need it.

PlasticSoldier
2007-10-20, 06:34 PM
I would set up an ambush on whatever road they're on and have it go as follows

1. Drop a tree behind and one in front of the party, this is to block their carriages from going anywhere.

2. Stand on top of the tree look awesome and make an intimidate check to force them to give over the warmage.

3. Some of the people will fail at their intimidate thing and this will hamper their effectiveness at attacking you.

4. Throw a tanglefoot bag at the first caster to try to attack, have your horse get a melee guy, then jump attack and smite the archer.

5. Fight normally.

But preparing an ambush will be a huge plus.

Grimfist
2007-10-20, 06:43 PM
After misinterpreting the thread title, I am very disappointed :smallwink:

In all seriousness though, I believe Rich made a thread where he showed how he would have handled a fight between Miko and the OoTS with actual cited round-by-round commentary. If someone could dig that up I'm sure it'd be a lot of help.

CthulhuM
2007-10-20, 07:14 PM
You might want to look at the Justicar PrC from Complete Warrior. It allows Paladins to take it without penalty, and it's basically an entire class devoted to tracking and capturing criminals on the run.

You might also want to consider alternate mounts. A dire wolf, for example, would be very handy for its free trip ability.

Anxe
2007-10-20, 08:30 PM
Ride in on your mount and hand the warmage a wanted poster with his face on it. That way you won't have to summon your mount for it to do something.

Glyphic
2007-10-21, 04:34 PM
Consider the use of a bead of force on a cleric or mage. you may even get away with using it on a fighter. It will effectively take them out of the fight for 3000 gp, if they fail a reflex save of 16. Not sure if everyone else has stats like yours, but it's worth a shot.

Bead of Force

This small black sphere appears to be a lusterless pearl. You can throw it up to 60 feet with no range penalties. Upon sharp impact, the bead explodes, sending forth a burst that deals 5d6 points of force damage to all creatures within a 10-foot radius.

It functions like a resilient sphere spell (Reflex DC 16 negates) with a radius of 10 feet and a duration of 10 minutes. A globe of shimmering force encloses a creature, provided the latter is small enough to fit within the diameter of the sphere. The sphere contains its subject for the spell’s duration. The sphere is not subject to damage of any sort except from a rod of cancellation, a rod of negation, disintegrate, or a targeted dispel magic spell. These effects destroy the sphere without harm to the subject. Nothing can pass through the sphere, inside or out, though the subject can breathe normally. The subject may struggle, but the globe cannot be physically moved either by people outside it or by the struggles of those within.

The explosion completely consumes the bead, making this a one-use item.

Moderate evocation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, resilient sphere; Price 3,000 gp.

smart thog
2007-10-21, 07:11 PM
Here is a idea, Non lethal smite, its a exalted feat, and the title says it all. Get a second bead of force. get potions of greater Magic weapon +5, magic vestment +5, Displacement, Herorism, haste, Keen edge.

Prior. Buffs like this. First level spells are, Protection from evil, divine favor. Good choices for second and third level spells. Use all potions.

battle like this
Ride up, dismount, have horse bring up wanted poster.

Suprise round. Slime the wizard after riding up.
1. Bead of force on fighter or cleric, whoever has lower ref save
2. have horse grapple rogue.
3. Bead of force on whoever is not slimed, beaded, or grappled, besides warmage.
4. Non lethal smite warmage in full attack, with full power attack, The smite and the str bonuses will handle the penalty. With the poor D6 hit die, this may even kill with nonlethal damage. do not worry about the attack penelties,

This should win.

greenknight
2007-10-21, 08:07 PM
All you really need for this is a Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) and some Dust of Sneezing and Choking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking). Ask for their surrender, and if (when) they don't, throw the Dust into the air. At their levels, it's very unlikely any of them has anything to protect them from that attack, so all of them will probably end up effectively stunned for 5d4 rounds (and many will probably be choking as well). Have a second bag of dust ready in case some of them are out of the first bag's area of effect.

There is a potential issue with this tactic in that the dust causes Constitution damage on a failed DC 15 Constitution save, and there is some potential you might kill one or more party members. That said, the risk is relatively low for any character who has a Good Fort save or a Constitution score of 12 or better. To further reduce that chance, you might want to check with your DM whether a Neutralize Poison would solve the problem, and if so you should probably carry some Restorative Ointment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#restorativeOintment) just in case, since you aren't really trying to kill off the party.

Starbuck_II
2007-10-21, 09:17 PM
Stone Salve would give Stoneskin for 4 K. Great price.

Khanderas
2007-10-22, 02:08 AM
Modern law enforcement agents (aka police) do very rarely if at all apprehend someone solo, especially not walk up to a group and arrest one. Sure RL does not have the powerlevels the way DnD does but even a lone bountyhunter can expect assistance from the local law.
Makes sense, because if you got them surrounded, there are better chances to take him alive. Might not be as "cinematic" as a lone Justicar taking the group down, but its a thing you can consider.

Helios Sunshard
2007-10-22, 06:44 AM
In all seriousness though, I believe Rich made a thread where he showed how he would have handled a fight between Miko and the OoTS with actual cited round-by-round commentary. If someone could dig that up I'm sure it'd be a lot of help.

There you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=291639#post291639)

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-22, 04:19 PM
I like the idea of the evasion ring, but it's 25,000 gold - 6/7's my starting gold.

To get evasion cheap, I was thinking of taking another leaf out of Miko's book and take two levels of monk. This will mean I lose righteous fury, and hurt my overall AC, but my touch AC will be greatly improved, being currently 12. It also means I could disguise myself as a peasant or civil servant while still being a threat, because my best chance of winning this is a suprise round.

Any thoughts on a Paladin 9/Monk 2 build with the same stats?