PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Proxies

Raishoiken
2019-12-20, 03:36 PM
So deities who have the Avatar salient ability can essentially spit up some Cell Jr versions of themselves with with a divine rank equal to half that of their creator. All deities can hoist a divine rank or so unto someone else.

Is there anything other than flying books prevent gods from just becoming proxies of their avatars for profit??

Psyren
2019-12-20, 09:20 PM
"Proxies of their avatars?" Could you be a bit clearer of what you mean here?

Generally, the answer to "is there anything stopping a god from..." is "not much."

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-20, 09:25 PM
Do you mean just plain avatar? :confused:

Sereg
2019-12-21, 06:13 AM
I doubt there is RAW, but RAI, proxiness implies being less powerful than what you're a proxy of be would rule that it fails if this is not the case.

Raishoiken
2019-12-21, 08:31 AM
"Proxies of their avatars?" Could you be a bit clearer of what you mean here?

Generally, the answer to "is there anything stopping a god from..." is "not much."

Deities can loan one of their divine ranks to someone else. The recipient is referred to as a proxy

I doubt there is RAW, but RAI, proxiness implies being less powerful than what you're a proxy of be would rule that it fails if this is not the case.

That's essentially the RAI i came to as well. Doesn't make sense for a deity to grow stronger from absorbing shadow clones

Feantar
2019-12-21, 10:56 AM
I don't remember the text. Does it say loan one of their divine ranks or bestow divine rank 1? Because in the second case, it doesn't offer them anything.

In the first case... ouch.

Psyren
2019-12-21, 12:15 PM
So make a bunch of avatars, then have each avatar use proxy on the deity?

No, this doesn't work (or at least doesn't do what you think it does) - see below.

I don't remember the text. Does it say loan one of their divine ranks or bestow divine rank 1? Because in the second case, it doesn't offer them anything.

In the first case... ouch.

It's the second, and it would actually be a significant downgrade:

Proxies are divine minions invested with a small portion of the deity’s power. A deity may invest 1 rank of its power (reducing its divine rank accordingly) in a single servant for as long as the deity chooses. The minion must be physically present for the deity to perform the investiture. While so invested, the proxy gains any salient divine abilities held by the patron deity as well as the powers and abilities of a rank 1 demigod. Without the requisite ability scores or divine ranks, the proxy may not be able to use all those powers and abilities. A deity may have more than one proxy, but it must lose 1 divine rank for each proxy it invests. A deity can retrieve a single divine rank as a standard action, and doing so does not require the physical presence of the proxy.

Your first problem is that under no reasonable interpretation could the deity themselves be considered a "servant" of their avatar. But even if you clear that hurdle, you run smack into the biggest wall - Rather than giving you a divine rank, it sets your divine rank to 1, which for pretty much any deity that can do this in the first place is going to be a huge loss of power. Last but not least, even if you ruled it as gaining the divine rank, there's nothing that says proxy ranks stack with each other either, so 1 avatar or 20 should make no difference.

For those reasons, this plan is a pretty big bust.

Raishoiken
2019-12-21, 03:50 PM
So make a bunch of avatars, then have each avatar use proxy on the deity?

No, this doesn't work (or at least doesn't do what you think it does) - see below.

It's the second, and it would actually be a significant downgrade:

Your first problem is that under no reasonable interpretation could the deity themselves be considered a "servant" of their avatar. But even if you clear that hurdle, you run smack into the biggest wall - Rather than giving you a divine rank, it sets your divine rank to 1, which for pretty much any deity that can do this in the first place is going to be a huge loss of power. Last but not least, even if you ruled it as gaining the divine rank, there's nothing that says proxy ranks stack with each other either, so 1 avatar or 20 should make no difference.

For those reasons, this plan is a pretty big bust.

I think you're mostly right about the no stacking the ranks for higher total in the end, although it would seem weird if the pantheon couldn't choose a champion to raise to higher levels of godhood by each investing a rank in them (however weird and soecific this example may be). I don't think it would cause a downgrade, however. It does say they gain the salients of the rank giver and powers of a rank one, but it doesn't set the person's rank straight to 1, it's just redundant in most cases cuz they already have those.