PDA

View Full Version : What can I buy with 5k gp?

~Soul
2019-12-20, 11:55 PM
Hi there o/

My caharacter reached the level 6, also, earned 5k gp.

His patron is The Fiend, and has the pact of the tome.

What magic ítems and equipment would you think that could be useful?

PD: I have got a Wand of the War Mage, and spear +1

JackPhoenix
2019-12-21, 12:01 AM
Well, that depends.... what *can* you buy with 5k gp? Are magic items available at all, and how much they cost if they are?

~Soul
2019-12-21, 12:15 AM
Well, that depends.... what *can* you buy with 5k gp? Are magic items available at all, and how much they cost if they are?

I cant post all the magical items, because i would have to translate them.

They cost between 100 and 700 gp.

Im looking something useful with my kind of character, dont worry about the list of available of magic items

ImproperJustice
2019-12-21, 12:25 AM
Five days of Heroic Feasting!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to yourself :)

A few resurrection diamonds?

An enterouge of bards, stylists, and promoters, along with a mount and groom so you can get your label out there and start making some real money :)

Hire a team of 3rd level adventurers to go on a quest to your next objective. Because they are under leveled they probably won’t come back, but that means you keep the money and maybe they cleared an obstacle or two for you?

Or you could just buy some stuffy old magic items....
I guess....

~Soul
2019-12-21, 12:30 AM
Five days of Heroic Feasting!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to yourself :)

A few resurrection diamonds?

An enterouge of bards, stylists, and promoters, along with a mount and groom so you can get your label out there and start making some real money :)

Hire a team of 3rd level adventurers to go on a quest to your next objective. Because they are under leveled they probably won’t come back, but that means you keep the money and maybe they cleared an obstacle or two for you?

Or you could just buy some stuffy old magic items....
I guess....

This... Sounds funny hahaha

ad_hoc
2019-12-21, 02:00 AM
Hi there o/

The thing is, there are no magic shops as written in 5e.

So it all depends on the house rules you are using for your magic shops. Only you can really answer the question.

I cant post all the magical items, because i would have to translate them.

They cost between 100 and 700 gp.

Im looking something useful with my kind of character, dont worry about the list of available of magic items

Sounds like a super high magic game.

Just buy whatever is most expensive I guess. You're going to be a Christmas Tree in no time so you shouldn't bother with anything weak if you can.

Sherlockpwns
2019-12-21, 02:01 PM
5,000 goats.

Abandon the life of an adventurer, become a shepherd. Far less likely to die and all the goat meat and milk you could ever want.

kazaryu
2019-12-21, 02:25 PM
Hi there o/

if you can afford one a ring of free action could be nice.

but also, it kinda depends on teh campaign: how hard is it? how interested are you in being optimized?

JackPhoenix
2019-12-21, 03:11 PM
5,000 goats.

Abandon the life of an adventurer, become a shepherd. Far less likely to die and all the goat meat and milk you could ever want.

Why would you buy goats if you wanted to be a shepherd, though?

~Soul
2019-12-21, 05:13 PM
5,000 goats.

Good point, mr Shepherd

if you can afford one a ring of free action could be nice.

but also, it kinda depends on teh campaign: how hard is it? how interested are you in being optimized?

We are playing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen", in the latest bosses, we were too low to fight them, so, our GM, given us 5k gp (for everyone) to buy useful things, we have been playing this campaign since May (still playing), and I would like to buy useful things to my warlock.

Mjolnirbear
2019-12-21, 05:40 PM
My group when I was playing bought a covered gypsy-style wagon, horses, tack, barrels and gear, bedrolls, spare mounts, everything to live on the road. It was surprisingly inexpensive.

After that, we'd have built in security features (glyph spell wands, alarm components, special locks) and adventurer goodies (potions of healing, resurrection diamonds, spare armor and weapons).

A large wagon, even with all the trimmings, is still cheaper than, say, a tavern for the bard or tower for the wizard.

Now I'm DMing (always a DM never a player) and my games are set in Eberron so said wagon is almost not useful at all due to lightning rail. They recently did some favours for Prince Oargev and were granted the titles of Wardens of the Rising Hills and an old watchtower, something Boranel had granted Oargev from which the players will earn wealth for new Cyre by finding treasures from the mournlands. They have plans to build a road, set up a merchant post, as well as a barracks once Oargev has grown his army and decides where to send them (Valenar or Darguun).

HappyDaze
2019-12-21, 05:58 PM
You should be able to buy 500 platinum pieces.

Tanarii
2019-12-21, 06:28 PM
A Guildhall or a Trading Post.

Anderlith
2019-12-21, 07:09 PM
Buy an elephant

DeAnno
2019-12-21, 07:38 PM
Less magic than a looser DM would give you for 500 and more than a stingier one would give you for 50k. Prices in this edition be a monster mess.

stoutstien
2019-12-21, 08:05 PM
Buy an orphanage that secretly is training children soldiers.

Sherlockpwns
2019-12-21, 09:48 PM

Because goatherd both sounds stupid and is hard to read :D ... damn Goth Erds!

Ventruenox
2019-12-22, 09:21 AM
Buy an orphanage that secretly is training children soldiers.
My party did this, founding the "Lady Beatrice School for Kids Who Can't Read So Good."

stoutstien
2019-12-22, 09:49 AM
My party did this, founding the "Lady Beatrice School for Kids Who Can't Read So Good."
I read this quote to my wife who is a huge Zoolander fan.

She spit her coffee on the dog

kazaryu
2019-12-22, 03:55 PM
Good point, mr Shepherd

We are playing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen", in the latest bosses, we were too low to fight them, so, our GM, given us 5k gp (for everyone) to buy useful things, we have been playing this campaign since May (still playing), and I would like to buy useful things to my warlock.

ummm, maybe look into staffs or something similar that give you more spells. (a staff of power would be ideal, but thats probably a bit out of your price range. but like, staff of fire or ice might be doable and would greatly expend your effective spell slots.

edit: likewise, if staffs don't work out, wands.

ring of spell storing also can expand the number of spell slots you get, also if there's another caster in the group you can expand available spells by having an ally cast spells into it.

JackPhoenix
2019-12-22, 04:04 PM

Mercenaries, then. Having a few hundreds men at your disposal (5k should be enough to hire 250 men for 10 days) is a gamechanger.

BoxANT
2019-12-23, 01:50 AM
buy a farm
for growing and harvesting long pigs
only the finest skins and meat
will please your patron

Corsair14
2019-12-23, 02:57 PM
Down payment on the gate house of your keep?

Quietus
2019-12-23, 04:03 PM

I read this quote to my wife who is a huge Zoolander fan.

She spit her coffee on the dog

Well done, both of you!

To the OP : You should buy these folks a round.

Beleriphon
2019-12-23, 05:21 PM

Clearly he meant nerfherd.