PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster movie

djreynolds
2019-12-21, 09:57 AM
Remember this movie. Mark Singer?

He had a few pets. I'd like to see multiple animal companions.

A hawk for a flying scout.. no fly by... just a scout. Could be a hummingbird or wasp?

A panther for the traditional fighting companion. Wolf or bear works

And a ferret or mouse for sneaking and getting stuff

And why not a free beast sense? Replacing the free hunters mark

I like the new UA and revised stuff. But I see perhaps a beastmaster of certain levels can have... extra beasts.

Theodoxus
2019-12-21, 10:06 AM
I don't see why you'd need anything specific baked into a subclass to do this.

The hawk is easily done as a familiar; a simple multiclass or feat choice covers that.

The panther/wolf/bear is already baked into the subclass, so that's covered.

The sneak pet is easily done through getting a normal ferret or two and some decent Animal Handling rolls. No real need to get fancy.

I think too many people stress about "magical" pets... a dog is nearly as good as a wolf and is much cheaper to deal with and isn't shunned in town. You can do the same with a hawk or falcon, though FF makes it far easier to replace if it's killed...

Animal Friendship is also a thing Rangers get, and there's no stipulation like other charms that the animal is unfriendly or immune to multiple castings...

Anderlith
2019-12-21, 10:11 AM
The Ranger all other things aside, should at least have Find Familiar & Find Steed (as well as any other spell I’m forgetting) added to its spell list

Damon_Tor
2019-12-21, 10:12 AM

A hawk for a flying scout.. no fly by... just a scout. Could be a hummingbird or wasp?

I like the new UA and revised stuff. But I see perhaps a beastmaster of certain levels can have... extra beasts.

Rangers have the Animal Friendship and Speak with Animals spells. Buying or capturing a hawk or ferret should be simple enough, then use those spells along with animal handling to train them.

Anderlith
2019-12-21, 10:30 AM
snip

snip

Just because you can “buy” some animal & train it does not give you a strong connection to it, as well, it’s not as if animal tricks gives you a strong sense of how intelligent or nuanced a real companion can be

stoutstien
2019-12-21, 10:34 AM

Welp now I can't help but think how bad that movie was LOL.

Have you looking to the swarm master UA yet? This might fit a lot of what you're looking for.

Wuzza
2019-12-21, 10:35 AM
Just because you can “buy” some animal & train it does not give you a strong connection to it, as well, it’s not as if animal tricks gives you a strong sense of how intelligent or nuanced a real companion can be

Get one of your party to be a Druid. :smallbiggrin:

(Awesome movie btw, one of the few back in the day to touch on the fantasy tropes. :see also: Ladyhawke. :P)

djreynolds
2019-12-21, 10:59 AM

Have you looking to the swarm master UA yet? This might fit a lot of what you're looking for.

So bad it was awesome.

I was thinking of a ranger as they increase in level afforded additional companions.

It's something more than find familiar. But beastmaster just needs more.

It could be tied to the U.A. stuff.

At 3rd, 6th and 10th... you can select a scout or protector or lookout... I'm spit balling.

stoutstien
2019-12-21, 11:23 AM
So bad it was awesome.

I was thinking of a ranger as they increase in level afforded additional companions.

It's something more than find familiar. But beastmaster just needs more.

It could be tied to the U.A. stuff.

At 3rd, 6th and 10th... you can select a scout or protector or lookout... I'm spit balling.

could be done without much trouble. give each beast an effect on the ranger and maybe a debuff they can do each day or wis times a day.

ZorroGames
2019-12-21, 11:45 AM
Than there was the Beastmaster TV series.

Andre Norton probably had eye rolling syndrome over those.

I love the SF book and 5e trope but Beast Master Ranger is pretty much requires a strong RP player and, as pointed out, creativity.

Maybe a good 5th character for exploration heavy gaming? Chultan Ranger maybe?

Sigreid
2019-12-21, 11:50 AM

I couldn't see how bad the movie was past that chick (Talia?). :smallbiggrin:

Ventruenox
2019-12-21, 01:09 PM
Memory is foggy regarding some of the details of the franchise, but the Familiar/Companion/trained animals combination describes the behavior of the Beastmaster's pets pretty well.

The ferrets would occasionally go off task, which in game mechanics could be a failed Handling roll. If anything, Dar had them under the charmed condition.

Maybe take a single level of monk for Unarmored Defense and Martial Arts, but Ranger with PAM the rest of the way.

Pex
2019-12-22, 11:51 PM
Anecdote. Wings Hauser starred as the bad guy in one of the sequels. He was very proud of it. There was a preview showing at a science fiction convention I worked in before it went public. The audience hated it. More than hated it they laughed at it. I agreed with them. It was phenomenally bad. Wings Hauser got very upset and left the convention.

ZorroGames
2019-12-23, 04:25 PM
Much as I absolutely loathe my experiences with Psionics in 1970s and 1980s A telepathic link with the animals was the basis of the book team of Terran, “Fox/cat/not sure what,” eagle, and meerkats.

The animals were more than trained but not exactly “uplifted” creatures IIRC.