PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Flechette Spear

JNAProductions
2019-12-21, 04:28 PM
Flechette Spear
Weapon (Spear), Artifact

This simple, black metal spear's appearance belies its awesome power. Any attacks made with the Flechette Spear ignore armor class from anything besides simply not being there when it hits. (As such, most creatures will have an AC of 10+Dexterity modifier when attacked with this weapon.) In addition, any damage dealt by the Flechette Spear can never be resisted (including immunity) or recovered from, short of a Wish spell (which, if cast unsafely, restores up to 1d12+Casting Stat HP) or deific magic.

As a weapon, the Flechette Spear may be used as a simple finesse weapon, dealing 1d12 points of piercing damage, or as a martial finesse weapon with reach that deals 2d8 points of piercing damage. When used as a weapon in combat, if you roll a 1 on the attack roll, roll an additional d6-if the result is greater than your proficiency bonus, you take a 1d10 points of damage from the Flechette Spear.

In addition to its use as a weapon, the Flechette Spear is an impossibly sharp tool, easily able to cut through the thickest of chains or bars.

Ogrillian
2019-12-22, 06:33 AM
While I don’t mind a little power boost this spear falls under the “HOLYS**T!!!!” Category, the increased damage is enough of a boost (dealing more damage than a lance), but ignoring AC and resistance is WAY to much, and the required God-tier healing should go with saying.

Honestly any of those effects on a spear is enough to cause players to cry tears of joys, let alone all of them on a single weapon.

Now if you want to use this as a one-off quest item, like saying it’s the only weapon that can be used to kill the Draco-Lich Boss, that’s fine.

Amechra
2019-12-26, 09:26 AM
1) Why is it called the Flechette (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flechette) Spear? I expected it to burst into a bunch of little metal shards when you threw it.
2) How many Minor/Major properties are you supposed to roll for this thing? It is an artifact, after all.
3) Why is this thing so deadly? And I get the armor piercing, but forcing people to recalculate their AC? Really? How does that work against Unarmored Defense? The Shield spell? The Parry reaction some monsters get? How about Evasive Footwork (from the Battlemaster), Agile Parry (from the Kensei), or Defensive Flourish (from the College of Swords)? Honestly, this seems like it's just asking for table arguments.

JNAProductions
2019-12-26, 12:34 PM
1) Why is it called the Flechette (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flechette) Spear? I expected it to burst into a bunch of little metal shards when you threw it.
2) How many Minor/Major properties are you supposed to roll for this thing? It is an artifact, after all.
3) Why is this thing so deadly? And I get the armor piercing, but forcing people to recalculate their AC? Really? How does that work against Unarmored Defense? The Shield spell? The Parry reaction some monsters get? How about Evasive Footwork (from the Battlemaster), Agile Parry (from the Kensei), or Defensive Flourish (from the College of Swords)? Honestly, this seems like it's just asking for table arguments.

1) Reference to source material.

2) None. It doesn't even require attunement.

3) Because the people it's meant to kill are that stupid tough. Siberian and Grey Boy don't mess around.

Unarmored Defense (Barbarian) gets 10+Dex AC.
Unarmored Defense (Monk) works as normal.
Shield does nothing.
Parry does nothing.
Evasive Footwork applies as normal.
Agile Parry does nothing.
Defensive Flourish does nothing.

Basically, anything that involves physical defenses interposing themselves does nothing, such as a Barbarian's superhuman toughness or a magical shield; while not being there works as normal, such as a Displacer Beast's displacement or a Monk's superhuman reflexes.

I am aware that this can cause table arguments-luckily, the game I'm using this for consists of people who I trust to accept my rulings, or if they do not accept them, to debate them reasonably instead of starting a fight.

Amechra
2019-12-26, 01:39 PM
1) Reference to source material.

2) None. It doesn't even require attunement.

3) Because the people it's meant to kill are that stupid tough. Siberian and Grey Boy don't mess around.

Unarmored Defense (Barbarian) gets 10+Dex AC.
Unarmored Defense (Monk) works as normal.
Shield does nothing.
Parry does nothing.
Evasive Footwork applies as normal.
Agile Parry does nothing.
Defensive Flourish does nothing.

Basically, anything that involves physical defenses interposing themselves does nothing, such as a Barbarian's superhuman toughness or a magical shield; while not being there works as normal, such as a Displacer Beast's displacement or a Monk's superhuman reflexes.

I am aware that this can cause table arguments-luckily, the game I'm using this for consists of people who I trust to accept my rulings, or if they do not accept them, to debate them reasonably instead of starting a fight.

OK, so this is a Worm thing. Gotcha.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder why you bother posting this kind of thing here. It's not like anyone else can really use them or even usefully critique them.

JNAProductions
2019-12-26, 01:46 PM
OK, so this is a Worm thing. Gotcha.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder why you bother posting this kind of thing here. It's not like anyone else can really use them or even usefully critique them.

Useful storage. :P

And to be fair, this sort of AC adjustment isn't even without precedent-least in Third Party materials. Tome Of Beasts, by Kobold Press, has something similar with their Etheric Spear (usable by Folk of Leng).