PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Shredder

Avigor
2019-12-21, 06:45 PM
For some reason I started thinking of how to create the Shredder, and ended up with this 4-class monstrosity. Yes some of the Monk powers are disabled while wearing his iconic armor, but they're available if he's caught without it and other abilities work just fine without it. Thought I'd post and see what people thought. I believe one or two more proficiencies can be added between Monk starting tool and Rogue multiclass vs Criminal Background Thieve's Tools duplication, but I couldn't think of anything appropriate. I thought his temper lent itself to Barbarian more than straight Monk anyways. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3ixszAQd-sHaqQ9TB75vBL6olycZNt9/view?usp=sharing

Aidamis
2019-12-21, 07:04 PM
For some reason I started thinking of how to create the Shredder, and ended up with this 4-class monstrosity. Yes some of the Monk powers are disabled while wearing his iconic armor, but they're available if he's caught without it and other abilities work just fine without it. Thought I'd post and see what people thought. I believe one or two more proficiencies can be added between Monk starting tool and Rogue multiclass vs Criminal Background Thieve's Tools duplication, but I couldn't think of anything appropriate. I thought his temper lent itself to Barbarian more than straight Monk anyways. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3ixszAQd-sHaqQ9TB75vBL6olycZNt9/view?usp=sharing

Will work in a team, might struggle a little solo against very high level threats. I hope you took BB levels before monk levels cause I heard that by RAW the first Unarmored Defense is the one you keep, and the BB's better because it allows shields, while with no shield and armor you could still use martial arts and benefit from a BB's Unarmored Defense.

If you find Str-bumping Magical items and work under Bless/Bardic Inspiration/Shield of Faith you'll be fine without 20's and 18's.

Avigor
2019-12-22, 05:35 PM
Will work in a team, might struggle a little solo against very high level threats. I hope you took BB levels before monk levels cause I heard that by RAW the first Unarmored Defense is the one you keep, and the BB's better because it allows shields, while with no shield and armor you could still use martial arts and benefit from a BB's Unarmored Defense.

If you find Str-bumping Magical items and work under Bless/Bardic Inspiration/Shield of Faith you'll be fine without 20's and 18's.

Huh. Somehow I had missed that stupid "only whichever you choose first" MC rule. Supremely stupid RAW IMO, saying you can't just choose your preferred Unarmored Defense when you've taken both classes. Also makes taking both make less sense arc-wise (this isn't necessarily intended to be a player build, more a thought experiment as what the character could be interpreted as) since I was looking from the perspective of starting in pure martial arts (ninjitsu training), then becoming a rogue/assassin as his criminal ambitions take root and he pursues more forbidden techniques, then focusing a little more on straightforward fighting techniques (possibly while hunting for Yoshi or shortly before the two lovebirds ran off while planning to usurp their master) that would be less than fully blessed by his sensei, before going Barbarian last (as he realizes he's been "betrayed"). Shrug guess I can leave it as-is and just take the -1 to unarmored AC, it won't affect anything while he's wearing his armor and traditionally he doesn't use a shield either way. Too lazy to update the PDF right now but yeah.