PDA

View Full Version : Swordmaster Class (Fire Emblem Inspired)

Yormungand
2019-12-22, 06:15 AM
#Disclaimer: Will finish up the first page someday, eventually.

Okay so, I have been working on this class for a couple months, always trying to flesh out new ideas and bring something cool and fresh. Problem is that I haven't found any opportunity to playtest it nor received any true feedback thus far asides from a guy who helped me with typos but oh well. After these months, lots of reads to different classes, Subclasses, homebrews, etc. I hope I have reached a point where I created something worth using and balanced.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rybWyiNVdr

Feel free to judge, I'm open to feedback and criticism, constructive one of course. Thanks a lot to those that take their time trying to help with this.

Damon_Tor
2019-12-22, 11:30 AM
"Swords" is not a defined game term in 5e: weapons aren't categorized into type-groups like in other editions, and while I think we all know what you mean when you say "swords" it would be more correct either to list each weapon which is a sword or to define the group yourself. There are some legitimate outliers which call the group into question: for example, is a glaive a sword? If a halberd is a poleaxe then a glaive could be seen as a "polesword". Best to be clear what you mean.

Disciple of the Sword rubs me the wrong way. If you want the class to only use light armor and swords without shields, then make their class features only work when equipped in that way, like they did with the monk, and with subclasses like the Bladesinger. The idea that you've focused so much of your life to learning to use this particular set of equipment that you have been rendered utterly incapable of learning something new is not only contrary to D&D but also to Fire Emblem: in several of those games characters can change classes entirely and learn to use new armor and weapons as a consequence.

I do have to wonder why this is a class of its own and not a fighter subclass.

Yormungand
2019-12-22, 12:50 PM
Good feedback. Noted down and in fact adding those recommendations.

On the matter of the similitude with the fighter. Yes, it is mechanically a blend between monk and fighter, with a new thematic flavor kinda similar to what the Swashbuckler is, but customized to be Fire Emblem-inspired as the main purpose of this is to be used in a campaign with said setting.

Thank you very much for your time. If you have further ideas or comments let me know.