PDA

View Full Version : The Arrow of the Gods

Teaguethebean
2019-12-22, 10:21 PM
Hello friends I have been enchanted by a specific type of build but it has left me rather unsure on how to make it work. The plan is a cleric that weilds a Longbow in battle. I am wondering what you all feel works best. Obviously Aarocokra would be the best option though most dm's ban such races so I feel it falls to kenku or wood elf. For domain, I am looking mainly to war or death but with wood elf a trickery, life, or even nature cleric could mabye pull it off.

Arkhios
2019-12-22, 11:26 PM
Do note that shortbow is a simple weapon in 5e.

Damage and range is certainly inferior to longbow, but at least it's not a crossbow.

Just saying you wouldn't have to confine your choice of race and/or domain based on race with a certain weapon proficiency.

That said, what of variant human war domain cleric with Sharpshooter at 1st level? With War Domain's channel divinity, you could make one attack with +5 bonus to hit and +10 bonus to damage when using sharpshooter — on top of your normal bonuses to hit and damage. That's one hell of an Arrow of the Gods, if you ask me.

airless_wing
2019-12-23, 12:06 AM
I like this concept idea! War was my first thought, as the Guided Strike and martial proficiencies seem an obvious fit.
But the Nature Clerics crowd control ability with Spike Growth and Plant Growth on their lists is appealing: enemies would have a hard time ever reaching you, as you plink arrows at them. The lvl 8 Divine Strike seems to work with ranged weapon attacks too! So, while yo dont have an extra attack you have great defensive options and 2d8 + Dex each turn.