2007-10-20, 08:23 PM
I'm working on a PC for a group I'm part of, so far we have a
Hound Archon Fighter
Human Rogue
Aasimar Paladin
Goliath Barbarian
Me, a Gnome Psion

We start at lv 4.

Since I don't want to screw things up, tell me what you think of my sheet so far, especcially the spells. Also if your wondering about the puppet, its for use with the Control Object spell, I'm thinking of taking a crafting skill to upgrade it as the game progresses.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=29081

Lemur
2007-10-20, 09:10 PM
Drop Mind Thrust, it's not that great. If you really want a first level blaster power, crystal shard is a decent one, but you have energy missile- you don't really need any other blasty powers at your level. Vigor would probably make a better replacement.

Drop Light Armor Proficiency- it's completely unneccesary. First off, you already have Inertial Armor, and the two won't stack. Second, masterwork studded leather has an armor check penalty of 0, so you don't suffer any negative effects of wearing it without the proficiency. That feat slot is much better spent on something else.

Also, Improved Psicrystal isn't that great either. That's another feat that would probably be better off spent on something else. If you're set on something that improves your psicrystal, Psicrystal Containment is pretty decent.

I actually like the controlling a puppet idea, however, there is a much better option available if you want to control a minion(s), especially upgradable ones, on the battlefield: Astral Construct. You can take it as your 3rd level feat (instead of Light Armor Prof. :smallyuk: ). Craft(sculpture) can actually be used on the constructs, at your discretion, but just for cosmetic purposes.

I'm sure by this point, someone will have ninja'd me with much better advice. Edit: Or not.

Douglas
2007-10-20, 09:14 PM
Uh, tell the Hound Archon guy that his character is waaaaaaaay too high level. A Hound Archon with no class levels at all is already an 11th level character.

Studded Leather isn't primarily made of metal, so it can't be mithral.

Your feats aren't exactly great, especially the armor proficiency. The only penalty for wearing armor you're not proficient with is that you take its armor check penalty on attack rolls. For armor with little or no armor check penalty (mithral chain shirt?) that means little or nothing, and it doesn't look like your character actually cares about his attack bonus at all, so you could wear full plate without proficiency and just not care.

For powers, I'd suggest Psionic Grease as one of your level 1 choices.

sanon
2007-10-20, 11:27 PM
Uh, tell the Hound Archon guy that his character is waaaaaaaay too high level. A Hound Archon with no class levels at all is already an 11th level character.

Studded Leather isn't primarily made of metal, so it can't be mithral.

Your feats aren't exactly great, especially the armor proficiency. The only penalty for wearing armor you're not proficient with is that you take its armor check penalty on attack rolls. For armor with little or no armor check penalty (mithral chain shirt?) that means little or nothing, and it doesn't look like your character actually cares about his attack bonus at all, so you could wear full plate without proficiency and just not care.

For powers, I'd suggest Psionic Grease as one of your level 1 choices.

The campaign is already written as him being a hound archon, how should he be handicapped? He knows he is cheap (or barbarian cant even hurt him without a roll of 20) so it wouldn't to much to have him change his stats abit.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-20, 11:36 PM
The campaign is already written as him being a hound archon, how should he be handicapped? He knows he is cheap (or barbarian cant even hurt him without a roll of 20) so it wouldn't to much to have him change his stats abit.

if you have access to savage species, make him go up the hound archon class found inside it.

CthulhuM
2007-10-21, 02:16 AM
If you have access to Complete Psionic, you might want to look at the Ectopic Adept PrC. It's basically a class devoted to making better astral constructs, and it at least somewhat uses craft(sculpting) in its abilities, so you've got that fluff angle covered.

Also, if you really want armor proficiencies and such, you could take levels in Illithid Slayer (or just "Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)" in the SRD), which gives you 9/10ths manifesting, full base attack, a bunch of handy abilities, and proficiency in all marshal weapons and all armor at 1st level.

lord_khaine
2007-10-21, 03:57 AM
better yet, if you dont have access to the complete psionic then forget about it and make sure noone else gets their hands on it by accident.

i would also recomend you pick up astral construct with your lv 3 feat, its one of the greatest allround powers there is, if not the greatest.

sanon
2007-10-21, 10:52 AM
There updated, how is it now?

Also, the astral construct, since it cost's 2 powerpoints to upgrade it a lv, could I create a lv 9 one (17 power points) at my current level?

Douglas
2007-10-21, 11:02 AM
You cannot spend more power points on any single manifestation of a power than your manifester level. The overchannel feat and the Wilder's Wild Surge class feature can increase that limit a little bit, but they both come with serious drawbacks.

illathid
2007-10-21, 11:06 AM
There updated, how is it now?

Also, the astral construct, since it cost's 2 powerpoints to upgrade it a lv, could I create a lv 9 one (17 power points) at my current level?

You can only spend as many power points as you have manifester levels on any given power. This is a often over looked rule, but it's very important for psionics.

Anyways, the most you could spend on any power at this level is 4 power points. You could spend 3 power points and get a level 2 Astral construct.

sanon
2007-10-21, 11:28 AM
You can only spend as many power points as you have manifester levels on any given power. This is a often over looked rule, but it's very important for psionics.

Anyways, the most you could spend on any power at this level is 4 power points. You could spend 3 power points and get a level 2 Astral construct.

K, was just wondering, was goin' to use it as an ace in the hole incase I ever had to fight the Hound Archon, since a lv 9 construct would kick his ass no matter what level he is at :P.

sanon
2007-10-21, 11:49 AM
Spell resistance, does it apply to Psionic abilities?

kamikasei
2007-10-21, 02:31 PM
Spell resistance, does it apply to Psionic abilities?

Ask your DM. It depends on the game, but the default is that yes, it does (and vice versa - power resistance applying to spells).

sanon
2007-10-23, 05:45 PM
HA turns out the Archon is going to be killed pretty early on in the game and the DM is gonna make him re-roll as a normal race. Problem solved there.

TimeWizard
2007-10-23, 09:52 PM
I get the vibe that you are in competition with your own party member... that's generally put into the Unified List of Things That are Actually Bad Ideas. On topic, I always felt that more power points are always good [what feat is bonus power points?], and depending on how rowdy your game gets Psionic Body is a decent choice (2 hp per psionic feat IIRC). Please forgive me if I made a mistake, I don't have my copy of the XPH handy.

Protip: There is no justifiable non-flavor reason to not be an Elan. Seriously. Elan Psions with Improved Resiliance never have to worry about hp. 1 PP = 4 HP, and you have oodles and oodles of PP around level 10-ish. Can be a life saver for those accidents that inevitably happen.

sanon
2007-10-23, 10:15 PM
I get the vibe that you are in competition with your own party member... that's generally put into the Unified List of Things That are Actually Bad Ideas. On topic, I always felt that more power points are always good [what feat is bonus power points?], and depending on how rowdy your game gets Psionic Body is a decent choice (2 hp per psionic feat IIRC). Please forgive me if I made a mistake, I don't have my copy of the XPH handy.

Protip: There is no justifiable non-flavor reason to not be an Elan. Seriously. Elan Psions with Improved Resiliance never have to worry about hp. 1 PP = 4 HP, and you have oodles and oodles of PP around level 10-ish. Can be a life saver for those accidents that inevitably happen.

I'd prefer to be a Gnome, I'm thinking Elan for my next char (Psychic Warrior)

I am in abit of competition with them, mainly beacuse I'm pretty sure we will be in a few ingame tournaments beacuse of the players involved XD.

KillianHawkeye
2007-10-24, 07:42 AM
How do you have the astral construct power? Astral construct is only available to Shapers AKA Psions who specialize in Metacreativity.

Sorry.

CthulhuM
2007-10-24, 06:18 PM
I can't see his sheet at the moment, but I assume he took expanded knowledge to get it at 3rd level. If not, then yes, he does need to change his feats around if he wants the power.