PDA

View Full Version : Reserve feats + ability damage

Yogibear41
2019-12-23, 04:06 AM
How does ability damage to your casting stat affect your ability to use reserve feats?

Example:

I am a Cleric with a 15 wisdom, I have Lesser Restoration prepared as a 2nd level spell and the Mitigate Suffering feat.

My wisdom score is damaged reducing it to 11.

Can I use the Mitigate Suffering feat to boost it back to 15?

Crake
2019-12-23, 04:11 AM
How does ability damage to your casting stat affect your ability to use reserve feats?

Example:

I am a Cleric with a 15 wisdom, I have Lesser Restoration prepared as a 2nd level spell and the Mitigate Suffering feat.

My wisdom score is damaged reducing it to 11.

Can I use the Mitigate Suffering feat to boost it back to 15?

Since your wisdom is reduced to 11, you no longer have the ability to cast lesser restoration, or any other 2nd level spell based off wisdom, and thus lose your ability to utilize the mitigate suffering feat, as you no longer meet the prerequisites of the feat.

If, for example, you had instead had cure moderate wounds prepared at 2nd level, and cure serious at 3rd level, but had only had your wisdom damaged to 12 from 17, you could still restore 4 points of wisdom damage, by using the reserve feat as if having only a 2nd level spell available to cast, as, despite having cure serious prepared, it is not available to cast. This would get your wisdom to 16, which, then, next round, you could use mitigate suffering to increase your wisdom by 5 instead of 4, now that cure serious is available to cast.

Yogibear41
2019-12-23, 05:05 AM
Just for Clarification:

Are you pointing out the feats pre-req of being able to cast 2nd level spells, or are you saying since you cannot cast the lesser restoration (even though you have it prepared) you cannot power the feat or both?

Say its a similar situation, but instead: base wisdom 17, reduced to 13. You have Restoration prepared as a 4th level spell. You DO NOT have Lesser restoration prepared.
You can still cast 2nd level spells. Can you use the reserve feat?

Crake
2019-12-23, 06:08 AM
Just for Clarification:

Are you pointing out the feats pre-req of being able to cast 2nd level spells, or are you saying since you cannot cast the lesser restoration (even though you have it prepared) you cannot power the feat or both?

Both.

Say its a similar situation, but instead: base wisdom 17, reduced to 13. You have Restoration prepared as a 4th level spell. You DO NOT have Lesser restoration prepared.
You can still cast 2nd level spells. Can you use the reserve feat?

If you lack a healing spell of lower level (as a positive energy cleric for example, you can spontaneously convert heals, which would count toward having healing spells available to cast scratch that, upon re-reading mitigate suffering, it specifically requires a healing spell that heals ability damage), then no, you would not be able to power the reserve feat, because the restoration spell, despite being prepared, is not available to cast, due to having insufficient wisdom to actually be able to cast it.