PDA

View Full Version : Planar Binding theory:

Yogibear41
2019-12-23, 05:08 AM
Possible Strategy punches holes in it please (I have a few ideas off the top of my head)

Planar Bind an Efreeti

Have it agree to use its 3 wishes for you.

Steps 1-3:

Wish 1: Wish for something

Wish 2: Wish for something

Wish 3: Wish that upon returning to where it came after the conclusion of the Planar binding, that the Efreeti who performed the wishes for you has no memory of it being called via planar binding.

Step 4: Avoid the creature's vengeance?

Crake
2019-12-23, 06:37 AM
Possible Strategy punches holes in it please (I have a few ideas off the top of my head)

Planar Bind an Efreeti

Steps 1-3:

Wish 3: Wish that upon returning to where it came after the conclusion of the Planar binding, that the Efreeti who performed the wishes for you has no memory of it being called via planar binding.

Step 4: Avoid the creature's vengeance?

Wish number 3 sounds like it would be best duplicated by either the modify memory spell (which is permanent, and thus leaves a magical aura which can be detected), the programmed amnesia spell (again, the same issue as before), or the mindrape spell (which is an evil spell, and thus would come with the same consequences of utilizing an evil spell).

In any circumstance, anyone who is with the efreeti when it was summoned away would know that the efreeti disappeared somewhere, and upon returning, would reveal this fact to said efreeti, who would likely then set out investigating who would dare do such a thing.

Jack_Simth
2019-12-23, 07:46 AM
Wish number 3 sounds like it would be best duplicated by either the modify memory spell (which is permanent, and thus leaves a magical aura which can be detected), the programmed amnesia spell (again, the same issue as before), or the mindrape spell (which is an evil spell, and thus would come with the same consequences of utilizing an evil spell).

In any circumstance, anyone who is with the efreeti when it was summoned away would know that the efreeti disappeared somewhere, and upon returning, would reveal this fact to said efreeti, who would likely then set out investigating who would dare do such a thing.

Also don't forget that the only "safe" spell for it to duplicate is limited to ten minutes of memories, and that even the 9th level spells on that list permit saves. And an Efreeti's save dc isn't much.

Anthrowhale
2019-12-23, 09:22 AM
An alternative is something like:

Wish 3: Cast cone of cold on Efreeti instead.

Presumably, Efreeti society will come to notice their missing members at some point and track you down, but it will take awhile.

Crake
2019-12-23, 11:54 AM
An alternative is something like:

Wish 3: Cast cone of cold on Efreeti instead.

Presumably, Efreeti society will come to notice their missing members at some point and track you down, but it will take awhile.

Considering an efreeti can browbeat a mortal into making wishes on it's behalf (have you ever seen return of jafar?) using wishes to gather information on someone killing off their kind, or hell, even just using wish to resurrect one of their fallen and learning firsthand from him who it was, wouldn't be too difficult.

Falontani
2019-12-23, 12:04 PM

Planar Bind an Efreeti

Steps 1-3:

Wish 3: Wish that upon returning to where it came after the conclusion of the Planar binding, that the Efreeti who performed the wishes for you has no memory of it being called via planar binding. has an incredible windfall occur within the next week befitting of his service

Step 4: Avoid the creature's vengeance? profit?

Well that's my plan at least

Crake
2019-12-23, 01:25 PM

Efreeti, being noble and proud, will likely still take great insult to you forcably binding them and making them serve you, so doing this would still likely incur their wrath.

Jack_Simth
2019-12-23, 02:38 PM

They're Lawful creatures, which means they organize with each other.
They have, in their MM write up, an intense hatred of servitude.
They cannot fail to Intimidate a fire memphit, which is also native to the Plane of Fire. Thus, they could also just use all three Wishes themselves.

Easy twist: the windfall is you becoming their slave.