PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lizardfolk (revised)

Nielspeterdejon
2019-12-23, 09:52 AM
Lizardfolk (revised): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NDcv6OQFvKNHpF1pdzfbOpZ_zhvb6anx/view

https://i.redd.it/74hvwl2kzd641.png

This will be part of my upcoming project "Children of the Dragon" in which I will make a collection of several draconic races, sub-classes, and spells. As well as a custom scenario. Featuring artwork from the talented Whitemantis.
A few people encouraged me to make a revised lizardfolk player race as well, due to them often being associated with dragons, even if they aren't really "draconic" race.
I was inspired by the work of LaserLlama, as well as the Forgotten Realms lizardfolk. I gave them several sub-races, which I hope will make them feel more thematic and interesting. Here are also some links to other content that will be added to the final product:
Half Dragon: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/e13hn6/half_dragon_player_race_updated_after_feedback_art/
Dragonborn (revised): https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/dwrqiy/dragonborn_revised/
Kobold (revised): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MyNcn4CFaR7_PAvxtquYYkSHDfutGTfv/view
HD pdf Lizardfolk (revised): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NDcv6OQFvKNHpF1pdzfbOpZ_zhvb6anx/view

Damon_Tor
2019-12-23, 11:35 AM
Minor quibble: if every subspecies has its own size, simply move he "size" trait out of the base race and give each subrace its own.

I suspect you intend for the bonus action claw attack granted by the natural weapons trait to not deal StrMod to damage in addition to 1d4. As written, it still will: adding strength modifier to the damage of a melee attack is a general rule, and requires a specific rule explicitly overruling it.

Chameleon Skin doesn't make it clear what general rule is being overruled by the trait, and is worded oddly in regard to to how it functions in combat: "You may use this trait to hide in combat if you are right next to a sufficient[ly] large surface, but you won't gain advantage if you also moved or took actions in the same turn." Problem one, this trait is written as if hiding in combat isn't normally allowed. Two, it isn't clear what "you won't gain advantage" means in this context. Does this mean you cannot gain advantage on anything for any reason? I assume it means "being hidden does not give you advantage on attack rolls", but that isn't clear (and to be precise, the hidden condition doesn't itself give you advantage on anything, what gives you advantage is being unseen, which is a part of being hidden.) And of course hiding is itself an action, so if this doesn't function if you take an action, then there's not any good way to use this (unless you intend for the ability to allow for hiding without an action, which is not clear). Suggested rewrite: "Chameleon Skin You can attempt to hide even when you are unobscured as long as you have not moved, attacked, or cast a spell this turn." This simplifies the ability and makes it clear what general rules are being overruled.

Poison Expert has a number of issues:

You say the poison gained is "basic poison" but it has a DC based on your proficiency and wisdom score, so it's not really a basic poison then.
If the poison is gathered from your surroundings, how much time is this supposed to take? Are we operating under the assumption that this takes place during the long rest? Are you alone wandering in the wilderness during this time? What if there aren't any nearby sources of poison?
A bottle of basic poison has a retail value of 100 gp. Consider the problems caused by a player character being able to generate 200 gp worth of trade goods with with 75% reliability every morning. Then consider that this poison is actually better than basic poison because the save DC is higher, so it could reasonably be worth even more.
Even if the PC cannot expect to be able to sell the poison, the ability to deal 1d4 extra damage on every attack (melee) or 3 attacks (ranged) for 2 encounters a day is too powerful for a racial ability, yes even if it requires a save.
The fact that the poison doesn't expire until it's used on a weapon/ammunition means they can build up a massive collection of poison during downtime.
Since this subclass doesn't have a bonus to wisdom, it's odd to base the DC of the poison on the wisdom modifier.
Considering the ability is already overpowered for the reasons outlined above the final paragraph which allows for automatic, risk-free collection of venom from corpses isn't appropriate. Generally speaking, automatic successes on dangerous activities isn't a good idea.

I think it would be appropriate to allow the PC to generate one bottle of poison, which expires in 24 hours (and thus isn't viable as a trade good). If you like you could have them distill it from their own biology to prevent clashing with the DM over whether or not there's poison available locally or requiring a potentially hazardous venture into the wilds while your team is asleep at the camp. This would also allow you to reasonably base the DC of the poison on Con instead of Wis. Change automatic success on poison collection from corpses to a bonus to checks made with your poisoner's kit, either in the form of advantage, adding your Con or Dex mod to the check, or doubling your proficiency.

Nielspeterdejon
2019-12-23, 03:08 PM
Minor quibble: if every subspecies has its own size, simply move he "size" trait out of the base race and give each subrace its own.

I suspect you intend for the bonus action claw attack granted by the natural weapons trait to not deal StrMod to damage in addition to 1d4. As written, it still will: adding strength modifier to the damage of a melee attack is a general rule, and requires a specific rule explicitly overruling it.

Chameleon Skin doesn't make it clear what general rule is being overruled by the trait, and is worded oddly in regard to to how it functions in combat: "You may use this trait to hide in combat if you are right next to a sufficient[ly] large surface, but you won't gain advantage if you also moved or took actions in the same turn." Problem one, this trait is written as if hiding in combat isn't normally allowed. Two, it isn't clear what "you won't gain advantage" means in this context. Does this mean you cannot gain advantage on anything for any reason? I assume it means "being hidden does not give you advantage on attack rolls", but that isn't clear (and to be precise, the hidden condition doesn't itself give you advantage on anything, what gives you advantage is being unseen, which is a part of being hidden.) And of course hiding is itself an action, so if this doesn't function if you take an action, then there's not any good way to use this (unless you intend for the ability to allow for hiding without an action, which is not clear). Suggested rewrite: "Chameleon Skin You can attempt to hide even when you are unobscured as long as you have not moved, attacked, or cast a spell this turn." This simplifies the ability and makes it clear what general rules are being overruled.

Poison Expert has a number of issues:

You say the poison gained is "basic poison" but it has a DC based on your proficiency and wisdom score, so it's not really a basic poison then.
If the poison is gathered from your surroundings, how much time is this supposed to take? Are we operating under the assumption that this takes place during the long rest? Are you alone wandering in the wilderness during this time? What if there aren't any nearby sources of poison?
A bottle of basic poison has a retail value of 100 gp. Consider the problems caused by a player character being able to generate 200 gp worth of trade goods with with 75% reliability every morning. Then consider that this poison is actually better than basic poison because the save DC is higher, so it could reasonably be worth even more.
Even if the PC cannot expect to be able to sell the poison, the ability to deal 1d4 extra damage on every attack (melee) or 3 attacks (ranged) for 2 encounters a day is too powerful for a racial ability, yes even if it requires a save.
The fact that the poison doesn't expire until it's used on a weapon/ammunition means they can build up a massive collection of poison during downtime.
Since this subclass doesn't have a bonus to wisdom, it's odd to base the DC of the poison on the wisdom modifier.
Considering the ability is already overpowered for the reasons outlined above the final paragraph which allows for automatic, risk-free collection of venom from corpses isn't appropriate. Generally speaking, automatic successes on dangerous activities isn't a good idea.

I think it would be appropriate to allow the PC to generate one bottle of poison, which expires in 24 hours (and thus isn't viable as a trade good). If you like you could have them distill it from their own biology to prevent clashing with the DM over whether or not there's poison available locally or requiring a potentially hazardous venture into the wilds while your team is asleep at the camp. This would also allow you to reasonably base the DC of the poison on Con instead of Wis. Change automatic success on poison collection from corpses to a bonus to checks made with your poisoner's kit, either in the form of advantage, adding your Con or Dex mod to the check, or doubling your proficiency.

Those are some great advices :) I will add that you won't get your strength modifier bonus to the second claw attack.

And my intend was to allow it to let you hide even while unobscured, but you get advantage if you haven't moved. Also your poison ideas are great! I really like them. Hold on, let me change that:

Chameleon Skin. You can try to hide even when you are unobscured by pressing yourself up against a solid surface next to you, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. While hiding this way you gain advantage to Dexterity (Stealth) checks, provided you are out of combat and you remain there without moving or taking actions.

Poison Expert. You gain proficiency in the poisoners kit.
In addition, after finishing a long rest you may distill a poison from your own glands. You gain a number of doses of poison equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded down). You can use a dose of this poison to coat one slashing or piercing weapon or up to three pieces of Ammunition. Applying the poison takes an action. A creature hit by the Poisoned weapon or Ammunition must make a DC (8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier) Constitution saving throw or take 1d4 poison damage. Once applied, the poison retains potency for 1 minute before drying. These doses of poison only last about 24 hours before losing their potency, and as such you cannot sell them.
When you attempt to extract a dose of venom from a slain foe, you gain advantage on the required skill check, provided the body is still fresh.

Natural Weapons. Your fanged maw and sharp claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes.
You bite deals piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier.
Your claws deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, and (provided you already attacked with your claws on the same turn, and your off-hand is free) you may use your bonus action to attack with your claws as well for 1d4 slashing damage (without your Strength modifier).

How is this?

Damon_Tor
2019-12-23, 09:34 PM
It's better.

But I would err on the side of simplicity. Your chameleon skin ability is a good example: you get too specific. Why can't he press himself against the floor? And no, that doesn't mean you should add a provision where you can use the ability while prone, that means you should simply remove the limitation on the ability entirely. Racial abilities should be simple: see the Wood Elf and Lightfoot Halflings' hiding abilities for examples.

Nielspeterdejon
2019-12-24, 04:11 AM
Well I thought that saying next to you also included under you, they are just examples. How would you word that then?

Nielspeterdejon
2019-12-24, 05:01 AM
Alright, how is this?

Chameleon Skin. You can try to hide even when you are unobscured by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. While hiding this way you gain advantage to Dexterity (Stealth) checks, provided you are out of combat and you remain there without moving or taking actions.

Basically it is now like the Hide in Plain Sight from the ranger, allowing you to hide even when unobscured. However, you only gain advantage if you did so out of combat and are waiting for the opponents to come so that you can spring the attack.

Damon_Tor
2019-12-24, 09:46 AM
Alright, how is this?

Chameleon Skin. You can try to hide even when you are unobscured by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. While hiding this way you gain advantage to Dexterity (Stealth) checks, provided you are out of combat and you remain there without moving or taking actions.

Basically it is now like the Hide in Plain Sight from the ranger, allowing you to hide even when unobscured. However, you only gain advantage if you did so out of combat and are waiting for the opponents to come so that you can spring the attack.

The bit I take issue with is "even when you are unobscured by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall". Ask yourself what changes by removing that text. If it's "very little" then it should be removed.

It's fine mechanically, I'm arguing from the perspective of "racial traits should be as simple as possible".

Breccia
2019-12-27, 08:58 AM
I would change Death Grip from "grapple as a bonus action" to "attempt to grapple as a bonus action". The current wording makes the attempt sound automatically successful.