PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warbeast heavy horse animal companion for ranger/druid

bean illus
2019-12-23, 03:17 PM
I want darkstalker on my mount. But I'm a ranger. Ranger doesn't get a horse, though that seems weird (i know horse sub optimal). And besides, i want the urban companion (owl? hawk?).

Urban druid offers light warhorse, but loses nature sense. Totem druid explicitly offers a horse, and 2 bonus AnCam levels. It doesn't say much else, so I'll assume light or heavy.

But RAW a horse is not the same as a warhorse. They won't fight, and if they do, they do 1/2 str damage. Unless you train them for combat. Then they fight, but don't do else, and still 1/2 str dam.

A warhorse is different. More aggressive, and "trained and bred" for war from champions. But where do they get these champions from?

They choose an animal with promising genetics, and train it as a warbeast template.

Warbeast

... warbeast is a ... . "Bred" for ... strength, aggression, ... .

Creating A Warbeast

"Warbeast" is a template that can be added to any Medium-size or larger animal, ... ..

The Monster Manual describes a few "war creatures" that have qualities similar to those of a warbeast but differ from standard creatures of a given kind. These creatures are considered to already have a separate "war template" and cannot have the warbeast template added. For example, one cannot apply the warbeast template to a heavy warhorse.

Now the level 1 totem druid has a heavy horse warbeast, with 4 HD (and other stuff). Nice. Add the focused animal acf and it's now AnCam class level 3 for 6Hd. Note that it's implicit that warbeast training removes the strength penalty from secondary attacks.

Add swift hunter ranger2/scout3/druid1, and (assume) the AnCam levels stack to 4.

Now, wild plains outrider 1 grants "uses the outrider's skill ranks, rather than its own, to make Hide and Move Silently checks", and stacks AnCam levels.
And beastmaster 1 nets +3 AnCam level, while stacking all.

Ranger 12/ scout 3/ fighter 2/ druid 1/ WPOr 1/ beastmaster 1 ... AnCam level 13. Skip the dire horse option.

What 3 feats?
1 darkstalker
2 ?
3 ????
4 help?

Also the ranger has a owl/hawk urban companion familiar level 10 We all have maxed hide and move silent, the owl shares max listen and spot, and the horse and i have darkstalker. The owl is assigned to make listen/spot every round she isn't doing otherwise.

Question 1 Is a ring of quick reconnoiter possible for the owl? Be super cool if he could fly 2 moves and free listen and spot.
Question 1b If one has quick reconn and doesn't move, could they use free listen and spot, then make another spot? Yes?

Question 2Does the horse totem gain bab, saves, and skill points according to monster HD advancement? Yes?

Thow on Collar of Umbral metamorphisis on each. (Tome of magic) - shadow creature template (+8 hide and hide in plain sight).

PC rides in on a silent and invisible war horse, sharing longstrider/etc; dismounts, and 3 attackers ambush. Then the horse blocks, grants cover and concealment/etc for battlefield control, the owl delivers touch attacks. Lots of distractions are happening, and we hide amongst ourselves, lol.

Well, i hope I didn't waste my time. Is this feasible? I know it's not optimal, but it's cool and i like it. Does it work? It's ok with me this time if it's a bit cheesy, but can it be stretched to fit?

If yes, any ideas on easy upgrades? Obviously animal growth spell on a wand (since I've no 4th level ranger spells).

gorfnab
2019-12-23, 08:22 PM
Urban druid offers light warhorse, but no HD advancement.

Actually it does still advance as a regular druid animal companion.

A 1st-level urban druid's companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted in The Druid's Animal Companion. As the urban druid advances in level, the companion's power increases as shown in that sidebar. An urban companion that improves as the urban druid gains levels adds Hit Dice appropriate to its type.

bean illus
2019-12-23, 09:08 PM
Actually it does still advance as a regular druid animal companion.

I'm sorry. I was referring to the totem druids bonus to totem companion advancement. UD also loses nature sense.

You're right though, if someone wanted the same mount in an urban campaign.
I'll edit the post to be more clear.

No advice on feats?

gorfnab
2019-12-24, 01:42 AM
No advice on feats?

Animal Companions gain Multiattack at Druid level 9. So if your Animal Companion is limited on number of natural attacks you may just skip that feat at lower levels.

Feat ideas:
Endurance
Steadfast Determination
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Grapple
Snap Kick
Improved Natural Attack
Combat Reflexes
Vexing Flanker
Adaptive Flanker
Stand Still
Mage Slayer