PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, not another Miko Thread.

TorJin
2007-10-20, 09:12 PM
I apologize for starting a Miko thread. I felt that my theory was good enough to share, though, so I sucked up the dirty feeling and I decided to make the thread.

Now, it is my opinion that we haven't seen the last of Miko. She might be a big old meanie head, and a jerk to boot, but she's a solid enough character that she's probably making a comeback. Of course, how would she go about making that comeback, though? I don't think we'll see her in the afterlife - at least, not yet, anyway.

I do think, though, that our mysterious friend with the black and red speech bubble might see it to be beneficial to raise Miko from the dead. Rather, he might see it beneficial to order Kubota to raise Miko from the dead. Kubota was around and probably had enough spies to know that Miko is not a friend of the Order. Additionally, he is a high ranking noble of Azure City. If he raises Miko, she would readily listen to his orders, especially if they were orders that brought about the destruction of Roy and friends.

Spiky
2007-10-20, 09:26 PM
There's like 5 threads just on the front page on this precise topic. You couldn't populate one of them?

Apology not accepted.

Koraks
2007-10-20, 10:04 PM
There's like 5 threads just on the front page on this precise topic. You couldn't populate one of them?

Apology not accepted.

I second that. And what's the deal with all the Miko threads? I read someone wanted to have what 25% of miko content in the forum? What's the point? I really don't see. Especially when the end of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0250.html) strip is one of my very favorite moments in the entire comic. Hey, I would have hugged Roy too.

Alfryd
2007-10-21, 01:28 AM
I do think, though, that our mysterious friend with the black and red speech bubble might see it to be beneficial to raise Miko from the dead. Rather, he might see it beneficial to order Kubota to raise Miko from the dead. Kubota was around and probably had enough spies to know that Miko is not a friend of the Order. Additionally, he is a high ranking noble of Azure City. If he raises Miko, she would readily listen to his orders, especially if they were orders that brought about the destruction of Roy and friends.
That is actually quite plausible, but in order to do so they will first have to retrieve Miko's body (or at least a sample thereof) from the City, which is hardly a trivial endeavour. I'm not certain that Kubota has stealthy ninjas skilled enough to pull off that little stunt which he can afford to dispatch for the purpose. Besides, If they have a cleric high-level enough to cast resurrection, I'm not certain it would be worthwhile going to this extent of bother for the sake of an additional ally in combat.
An interesting notion is that Miko might be used as Kubota's mole in Hinjo's entourage, if Hinjo were somehow inclined to trust Miko, but how, exactly, Kubota would introduce Miko without suspicion is problematic. Alternatively, Miko might possess valuable intelligence on Hinjo's allies or defences that Kubota would be willing to Raise for, but Miko might not be inclined to trust Kubota in the first place. I guess that depends on what methods of pursuasion he has at his disposal.

Then PM the moderators.

Especially when the end of this strip is one of my very favorite moments in the entire comic. Hey, I would have hugged Roy too.
Hey, I chuckled too, though I kind of assumed they'd patch things up later.
Oh, well.

Yeril
2007-10-21, 07:18 AM
That is actually quite plausible, but in order to do so they will first have to retrieve Miko's body (or at least a sample thereof) from the City, which is hardly a trivial endeavour.

Well his plan is to try and take back the city from the hobgoblins, you never know when he comes across the corpse of the very very powerful fallen paladin who slew Shojo and nearly killed Hinjo single handedly.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-21, 07:32 AM
I second that. And what's the deal with all the Miko threads? I read someone wanted to have what 25% of miko content in the forum? What's the point? I really don't see. Especially when the end of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0250.html) strip is one of my very favorite moments in the entire comic. Hey, I would have hugged Roy too.

Whether she is likable as a person doesn't detract from how interesting a character she is.

As a matter of fact it may even increase it, at least as far as potential thread material is concerned. :smallwink:

As for the OP, yeah, this could easily have been in one of the other threads.

And regarding your theory, it really depends on whether the Black and Red Speech Bubble Baddie even knows about Miko and/or whether Kubota remembers her, whether Kubota and the BaRSBB will be in control of the city at some future point, whether Miko's body will be even found and recognized, and whether the BaRSBB and Kubota would be inclined to trust her. Quite a lot of "what ifs" would be needed.

I maintain that my theory in one of the existing threads is more plausible:

The one regarding the possibility of Team Evil raising or animating her -- they need someone to interrogate about the defenses of the other gates, and it is not certain that O'Chul is high ranking enough to know.
And as there, I must again voice my skepticism that she'll be returned to (some semblance of) life at all.

2007-10-21, 11:46 AM
The one regarding the possibility of Team Evil raising or animating her -- they need someone to interrogate about the defenses of the other gates, and it is not certain that O'Chul is high ranking enough to know.

Why raise her when speak with dead would work just as well?

Lord Zentei
2007-10-21, 12:07 PM
Why raise her when speak with dead would work just as well?

Good question:

Speak With Dead.

Duration: 1 min./level
Saving throw: will negates.

Also: "Answers are usually brief, cryptic and repetitive" and "If the corpse has been subject to speak with dead within the past week, the new spell fails".

If they attempt to raise her, they can then interrogate at length. Since only willing subjects can be raised, some kind of animation would be necessary, unless she were hoping for a chance to take them out or something.

geekyhedgehog
2007-10-21, 02:23 PM
By the way, if she isn't raised, Belker would have to kill either Roy, V, or the Oracle. (331) Rich killing off another Order member (or the same one over again) and having to go through another afterlife (or the same one) for another 10-20 comics on it? Unlikely. :smallconfused:
Alternatively, Belkar could kill the Oracle, but where would be the humor in that?
I think it would be funny if Miko got raised, and Belkar killed her again immediately after.

Emperor Ing
2007-10-21, 02:29 PM
I just realized something. The fact that the :miko: smiley is still around kind of confirms that Miko is still a character that we will likely see later.

Koraks
2007-10-21, 03:20 PM
By the way, if she isn't raised, Belker would have to kill either Roy, V, or the Oracle. (331) Rich killing off another Order member (or the same one over again) and having to go through another afterlife (or the same one) for another 10-20 comics on it? Unlikely. :smallconfused:
Alternatively, Belkar could kill the Oracle, but where would be the humor in that?
I think it would be funny if Miko got raised, and Belkar killed her again immediately after.

I've been thinking about that. The exact wording of the question was "do I get to cause the death of one of the following...". Then didn't he already cause Roy's death (indirectly)? In strip 429, Belkar gives him the ring of jumping, which allowed him to jump on the dragon, which led to his plummeting to his doom. Wouldn't Belkar be pissed if it was true...

Deathwisher
2007-10-21, 04:39 PM
I've been thinking about that. The exact wording of the question was "do I get to cause the death of one of the following...". Then didn't he already cause Roy's death (indirectly)? In strip 429, Belkar gives him the ring of jumping, which allowed him to jump on the dragon, which led to his plummeting to his doom. Wouldn't Belkar be pissed if it was true...

He may get to cause the death of more than one of those listed. The oracle didn't specify that it could only be one of them. He certainly contributed to Roy's death (and in a way to Mikos as well, since his taunting pushed her emotional buttons). In any case, since death isn't necessarily permanent, there is no reason why a Belkar victim couldn't be raised, but still be considered a fullfillment of the prophecy.

Koraks
2007-10-21, 04:59 PM
He may get to cause the death of more than one of those listed. The oracle didn't specify that it could only be one of them. He certainly contributed to Roy's death (and in a way to Mikos as well, since his taunting pushed her emotional buttons). In any case, since death isn't necessarily permanent, there is no reason why a Belkar victim couldn't be raised, but still be considered a fullfillment of the prophecy.

I do think you're right. Oh let me just say this in response to a pro-all-miko-threads: All miko threads are Belkar threads waiting to happen :belkar: .

Alfryd
2007-10-21, 05:40 PM
Perhaps, but it is virtually certain that Rich brutally violated the laws of physics in permitting O-chul's survival for this purpose. Plus, the various close-ups.

Besides, if Miko is raised by Team Evil, she'll essentially wind up dead or worse-than-dead in short order, regardless of cooperation.

Also: "Answers are usually brief, cryptic and repetitive" and "If the corpse has been subject to speak with dead within the past week, the new spell fails".
Also, the body must be mostly intact for reliable answers.

I just realized something. The fact that the :miko: smiley is still around kind of confirms that Miko is still a character that we will likely see later.
Plus, the T-shirt. Of course, she was blue in that.