PDA

View Full Version : Would this house rule be positive? [Book of Nine Swords]

Elves
2019-12-24, 12:48 PM
Ruling that all initiator prestige classes stack with initiator base classes for the purpose of allowing you to swap out maneuvers at even levels. Would this create any problems?

Buufreak
2019-12-24, 01:35 PM
I don't think that is a house rule. I think that's how it naturally works.

Elves
2019-12-24, 01:52 PM
Do you have a cite?

Tryxx
2019-12-24, 02:28 PM
Page 39. Also look at the "Manuevers" section of each prestige class to see how the prestige classes levels are added to your initiator level.

Elves
2019-12-24, 02:39 PM
Just increasing your initiator level doesn't let you swap out maneuvers. That ability is linked to your class level.

Crake
2019-12-24, 02:46 PM
I don't think that is a house rule. I think that's how it naturally works.

Prestige classes stack with initiator level, but they don't allow you to swap out maneuvers every even level, that's not in the wording of their maneuvers section.

Elves
2019-12-24, 03:01 PM
Yeah. Crake, would you have any issue with instituting this though?

DeTess
2019-12-24, 03:07 PM
I think there could be some odd edge cases if the prc has access to very different schools than the base class, but I can't think of anything problematic off the top of my head.

If your group is willing to play by your rai where houserules are concerned, and abide by vetos of unintended broken interactions that come up during play, I doubt you'll encounter any issues if you try running with this houserule.

Elves
2019-12-24, 03:49 PM
If your group is willing to play by your rai where houserules are concerned, and abide by vetos of unintended broken interactions that come up during play, I doubt you'll encounter any issues if you try running with this houserule.

The consideration here is as a blanket rule for the project in my sig. So broken interactions are relevant.

Kayblis
2019-12-24, 03:56 PM
There's no issue with making this a rule. You'll be granting initiators better options as levels go on, but the base class already has these options and to me it looks like an oversight for PrCs to not have it. I have met players that felt cheated when they found out you can't keep trading now-useless maneuvers for better ones like they've been doing just because they picked a level in a class that explicitly advances everything Initiator-related, except this in the fine print.

meemaas
2019-12-24, 05:09 PM
Path of War has that ruling coded directly into the rules and I've never noticed any issues. So I dont think itll become a problem.

For those that dont know, Path of War is the pathfinder version of Tome of Battle

Crake
2019-12-25, 02:05 AM
Yeah. Crake, would you have any issue with instituting this though?

I've always understood it to be a balancing mechanic for all the extra perks you get from the prestige class, but I don't think it's a particularly good one. If a DM were to institute it at a table, I wouldn't mind, though I'm not sure if I would use it myself as a DM.