PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Reworking an old character (DND 3.5)

Bedeisbede
2019-12-25, 07:15 AM
Story inc: (TL:DR below)
I had an old character in a heavily homebrewed version of DnD. He received a lot of nerfs generally due to how powerful he was in the role play sense. Canny tricker rogue who could probably sneak around stealing a lot of magic items should he want to in this relatively low magic setting.

Several years after the game-play has gone on hiatus i asked the GM if my character could leave the world and be played in another.

However, i beleive he is signifcantly weaker than any dnd character at tenth level (he is 11th level).

For example, he is a rogue, yet can only sneak attack once in a combat, if he has snuck up and initiatied a suprise round almost as if he is an asssassin or something. Also, he has (literally) 0 other class features.
Also, he only has high hide and move silently as a lot of his skills were more for role play purposes.

His stats were rolled, something like 18,16,13,12,10,8 which arent bad.

TL:DR I want to remake a character, who is very very good at sneaking (1) escaping (2) and last but not least thieving (3) [Stealing, breaking and entering, picking pockets]. With the ability to do a okay amount of burst damage as a side note.

Can i get some help or suggestions?

Can't really see many classes orientated towards non combative roles such as this. Yes, he will fight in a combat but at a pretty weak level. He's more likely to be sneaking past the kobold priest to get into his bedchamber and filch.

ngilop
2019-12-25, 10:31 PM
Story inc: (TL:DR below)
I had an old character in a heavily homebrewed version of DnD. He received a lot of nerfs generally due to how powerful he was in the role play sense. Canny tricker rogue who could probably sneak around stealing a lot of magic items should he want to in this relatively low magic setting.

Several years after the game-play has gone on hiatus i asked the GM if my character could leave the world and be played in another.

However, i beleive he is signifcantly weaker than any dnd character at tenth level (he is 11th level).

For example, he is a rogue, yet can only sneak attack once in a combat, if he has snuck up and initiatied a suprise round almost as if he is an asssassin or something. Also, he has (literally) 0 other class features.
Also, he only has high hide and move silently as a lot of his skills were more for role play purposes.

His stats were rolled, something like 18,16,13,12,10,8 which arent bad.

TL:DR I want to remake a character, who is very very good at sneaking (1) escaping (2) and last but not least thieving (3) [Stealing, breaking and entering, picking pockets]. With the ability to do a okay amount of burst damage as a side note.

Can i get some help or suggestions?

Can't really see many classes orientated towards non combative roles such as this. Yes, he will fight in a combat but at a pretty weak level. He's more likely to be sneaking past the kobold priest to get into his bedchamber and filch.

This is what I would suggest. As it is something I have done before myself and it has worked very well. But, the campaign fell apart before I could go into my prestige class to tie it together.

I went Rogue (of course) for 3 levels then dipped my first level of warblade (so at 4th level I was rogue 3/warblade 1) I took 2 more levels of rogue and took 2 levels in warblade (so now I was rogue 5/warblade 3). My feats I picked were Improved Unarmed Strike , Deflect Arrows , and Quick Draw. My plan was at 9th level to enter Ninja of the Crescent Moon and go finish it before going back into rogue.

The rogue allowed me to do the typical scout (but, you can spend your skill points to focus more on the burglary aspect) and sneak attack (which the Ninja of the crescent moon continues) while the 3 levels in warblade gives me some nice team buffs, and decent added damage (Mountain hammer does more than it says due to you ignoring damage reduction)