PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Efficient Trainer (feat)

mictrepanier
2019-12-25, 07:09 PM
"You have a knack to train a group. After a 10 minutes training, members of a group (up to 8 characters) are considered to get skill proficiency up to the next long rest completion. The prerequisite is that the skill is known to at least one of its member (including you). This ability can be used as many times a day as your intelligence modifier (minimum of one). A recipient can just learn temporary as many skills a day as her intelligence modifier (can be 0). The proficiency bonus is those of the recipient, not the trainer. Tools proficiency can be also trained that way, but not languages."

Note: As in 3.5e, Intelligence helps with skills. The recipients must have positive intelligence modifier for this feat to be efficient, so I don't think it is OP. Your opinion ?

Chronologist
2019-12-27, 01:35 PM
The closest similar feat in 5E is Inspiring Leader, so I think yours should be phrased and balanced in much the same way. Here's how I would do it:

Efficient Trainer
Prerequisite: Intelligence 13 or higher
You can spend 10 minutes directing the instruction on the finer points of a skill. When you do so, choose up to six friendly creatures (which can include yourself) within 30 feet of you who can see or hear you and who understand you, then choose one skill that one of those creatures is trained in. Each creature then becomes trained in that skill until they finish a long rest. A creature can't benefit from this feat again until it has finished a long rest.

mictrepanier
2019-12-27, 02:50 PM
The closest similar feat in 5E is Inspiring Leader:

True. But I want intelligence to be a secondary stat for non-mage players at creation, instead of the worst, to get benefit from this feat. In D&D 3.5 high Int meant more skills points...

My friends already house-ruled 1 extra language per Int modifier. 1 extra skill per + is too much....

Your option seems better. I still don't know what to do with intelligence...

JNAProductions
2019-12-27, 03:00 PM
Credit to my friend for this, but use this:

Intelligence Score at Creation
11 or less: Normal
12-13: Extra Tool or Language
14-15: Extra Skill Proficiency
16-17: Extra Tool or Language
18-19: Extra Skill Profieciency
20: Extra Tool or Language