PDA

View Full Version : What should I play for a one-shot that may lead to more?

erok0809
2019-12-26, 01:46 AM
Hey all,

My group's regular DM will be unavailable this week, and while I'm usually the one who steps up and DMs, I'm not able to do so this week, so another player is running a one-shot. He gave a bunch of house rules, none of which I think change anything about what I'll play, but since he put so much effort in I think it'll turn into a future campaign, either in off weeks if the normal DM is unable, or after that one is finished.

Anyway, to my quandary. As a regular DM, I usually use a lot of my character concepts when I run games, either as NPCs or enemies, and I'm finding myself low on inspiration. I'd rather not play a barbarian, sorcerer, or wizard, as I've played all of them too recently. We're starting at level 5. We rolled for stats, and I have this spread before any modifiers:
18, 15, 14, 11, 10, 8

I have no idea what the other players may make, and I want to keep it that way. I've been told that our characters will be first meeting each other when the game starts, and they will have recently been abducted in some way, so I think it makes more sense to not know what they'll make.

Any fun ideas rolling around in the Playground's collective head that I can, ahem, borrow?

opaopajr
2019-12-26, 02:55 AM
Great stats. I'd be a Variant Human straight off. After that, world is your oyster. :smallsmile:

I would try Fighter or Monk, since you can benefit from the stats and features to endure the premise of capture and ad hoc equipment concerns.

The real fun is figuring out a Feat to play around with. I'd go for something normally not used. Actor? Dungeon Delver?

CTurbo
2019-12-26, 04:33 AM
Lizardfolk Monk(probably Long Death but Open Hand would be fun too)

18, 15, 14, 11, 10, 8

11 Str
18 Dex
16 Con
10 Int
16 Wis
8 Cha

The fun part about this is the racial bite attack works with Martial Arts essentially letting you bite once or trice per turn with your bonus action. Other than that, I imagine lots of tail whips too.

Level 4 just max Dex or drop +2 Wis

The other first thing to come to mind is a Fallen Aasimar Conquest Paladin with the Menacing feat.

Naerytar
2019-12-26, 05:57 AM
Battle Smith Artificer is a really fun class. If you're abducted you can turn any crappy weapon you find into a magical one. Who wouldn't want to smack things with a magically infused table leg? Plus the DM could work in a little mini-quest to retrieve your Steel Defender.

Race to taste. I'd leave STR at 18, then try to get INT and CON to 16.

DMJosh
2019-12-26, 03:27 PM
It's a little metagamey, but if you're starting the game abducted, I'd be tempted to build something that isn't super reliant on equipment... a moon druid or some kind of monk are probably the most obvious choices.

What about a bear totem barbarian 3 / moon druid 2? You'll have some utility casting, plus a hulk smash mode with a sack of spare hit points and resistance to almost everything.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-26, 05:03 PM
What do you enjoy doing in-game? Out of the three characters you recently played, what did you not like?

Sherlockpwns
2019-12-26, 07:24 PM
On the whole "I don't need no stinkin equipment" front - what about a wrestler?

If you're using the new UA the unarmed fighting style is pretty fun. If not, even just Tavern Brawler can be pretty neat. Instead of Monk (still an option if you want to)...

There's a ton of races that fit, everything from Mountain Dwarf to Triton, anything with +2 or even +1 STR + Tavern Brawler... but for the funs of it, lets go with...

Minotaur Wrestler:
Fighter 5 (Battlemaster)
Str: 20 (+2 from Mino)
Dex: 14
Con: 17 (+1 from Tavern Brawler, +1 from mino)
Int: 11
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Prof with Atheletics and anything else you want (grapple DC is 16)

Fighting Style: Unarmed (or Defense if UA is not available)

Battlemaster Manuever:
Trip and anything else you want.

Overall pro/con:

A melee lock-down character with a lot of hidden and unexpected versatility gained through being able to control the movements of an enemy. The basic attack is simply to hit, battlemaster prone the target, bonus action grapple. This sets the speed of your enemy to zero, forcing them to attempt to break the grapple or be unable to stand (or attack at disadvantage).

If all attacks hit this is 2d6 (Minotaur horns) + 10 + 1d8 and the target is grappled and prone (if you have unarmed, an exrta 1d4 per hit while they are grappled as well).

There's plenty more you can do as well with a grappled target, including move them around to dangerous areas of the map or advantagous positions for your allies, interpose them for half-cover against ranged attacks, and potentially grab TWO targets (one for each hand) and pin them both. Also don't forget when you run out of battlemaster dice you can always just substitute a shove action for an attack to prone the enemy. Against an enemy with high AC it may even be better to forgo both attacks and use them to grapple + prone and let your allies pile on.

Minotaur its self adds a lot of fun nonsense, including being able to charge and attack (No grapple) and turn one of your attacks into a 10ft shove (which may be very handy if you can't reach a hazard)

Obviously 1d6 is not incredible damage compared to something like a 1d10 with PAM where you can end up with 2d10 + 1d4 + 15, but there's plenty of fun here and almost no reliance on equipment or magic... just a bull and its horns.

This build doesn't have to be a fighter either, a bard will also get you an even higher DC on the grapple (Expertise) and some funky spells, including enhance ability or cloud of daggers, both of which go very well with this build. Nothing says luchador like a bull mask... wait, is that a mask? ;)

erok0809
2019-12-26, 07:25 PM
What do you enjoy doing in-game? Out of the three characters you recently played, what did you not like?

I typically tend towards spellcasters, but I enjoy hulk smashing now and again. I think I'm not as much into the skillmonkey and support styles. I like having options; even when hulking out, I do like when I have at least a little decision-making to do, ala GWM or shoving and grappling. I really just dont want to play a barbarian because that's what I'm playing in the regular ongoing game, and the main NPC that the party interacted with in the game I DM'd before was a wizard. I just figured I'd change it up some; at this point I think I've played at least one of every class in some way, so no matter what I play I'll have a point of comparison or something I'll have to try to differentiate from.

Overall so far I think my least favorite archetype I've played is a sharpshooter assassin rogue, mainly because as awesome as it is to do tons of damage all at once, it really sucks to miss on your only attack in a round, and while it is nice to have the skills, it's just not as satisfying for me as being really good in combat. So far I think I'm liking the long death monk idea, but I'm not decided yet.

Grog Logs
2019-12-26, 09:50 PM
...My group's regular DM will be unavailable this week, and while I'm usually the one who steps up and DMs, I'm not able to do so this week, so another player is running a one-shot...[snip]...either in off weeks if the normal DM is unable, or after that one is finished.

Anyway, to my quandary. As a regular DM, I usually use a lot of my character concepts when I run games, either as NPCs or enemies...[snip]

You could lean into your real-life role in your gaming group:

The Storyteller (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheStoryteller): Dragonborn Lore Bard who is familiar with tropes. Not someone who breaks the fourth wall (e.g., not a Deadpool). But, someone who is aware of how stories are supposed to go, who believes that they are The Chosen One on The Hero's Journey (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHerosJourney). Bonus points if he's named Joseph. Extra bonus points if he gets it wrong because he is too optimistic (or too cynical).

Uncontrollable Power: High Elf Wild Magic Sorcerer who has lost the ability to control his powers due to old age (over 700 years old, he thinks). You play him very smart but encourage the DM with gentle prompts to trigger your Wild Surge table. He lectures every magic user about this is why you need to master your powers carefully and that practicing any spell for less than 100 years can put an entire town in danger. [Nevermind, you said no Sorcerer.]

The Fluid Shapechanger: Changeling Druid who is never the same race or animal within the same week (or month?).

The Wikipedia: A Warforged Knowledge Cleric who is creating a book about everything. Shakes his fist at anyone who mentions Volo.

The Humble Farmer: A Standard Human Kensai Monk who uses a Pitchfork (i.e., Trident). Just a simple man trying to return to the farm.

The Weretiger: A Shifter Ranger with longbow and scimitar who is True Neutral. He dresses and acts exactly like the Monster Manual entry.

The Real Boy: A Variant Human Warlock (any) who is a "real boy." His nose is just a little too long. He always insists that he's telling the truth - whether he is or is not. Followed by a Cricket familiar (shapeshifted Imp). Isn't familiar enough with human society. Gets spooked out whenever he sees the color blue or fairies. [Idea lifted from somewhere, probably this message board.]

bid
2019-12-26, 10:27 PM
18, 15, 14, 11, 10, 8

11 Str
18 Dex
16 Con
10 Int
16 Wis
8 Cha
Also works with hill dwarf. Or a Wis18 stout anklebiter.

You should see if any racial feat strikes your fancy, that might be the best use of your level ASI.
- dwarven fortitude drunken master
- wood elf magic shadow monk
- bountiful luck

Safety Sword
2019-12-27, 05:57 AM
Everyone loves a cleric.

Play a domain that's interests you. Personally I like Grave and Knowledge at the moment, but there are a lot to choose from and they can change the way to play your character.

Since you're into combat, challenge yourself to be a pure support caster (you could even try doing no damage to the enemy).

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-27, 11:26 AM
I typically tend towards spellcasters, but I enjoy hulk smashing now and again. I think I'm not as much into the skillmonkey and support styles. I like having options; even when hulking out, I do like when I have at least a little decision-making to do, ala GWM or shoving and grappling. I really just dont want to play a barbarian because that's what I'm playing in the regular ongoing game, and the main NPC that the party interacted with in the game I DM'd before was a wizard. I just figured I'd change it up some; at this point I think I've played at least one of every class in some way, so no matter what I play I'll have a point of comparison or something I'll have to try to differentiate from.

Overall so far I think my least favorite archetype I've played is a sharpshooter assassin rogue, mainly because as awesome as it is to do tons of damage all at once, it really sucks to miss on your only attack in a round, and while it is nice to have the skills, it's just not as satisfying for me as being really good in combat. So far I think I'm liking the long death monk idea, but I'm not decided yet.

Based on what you described, there are a lot of really good options.

Ancestral Guardian Barbarian + Drunken Master Monk. Hit enemies to taunt them, then run away. Or use Ki to Dodge and stand your ground. Bounce fluidly from using Reckless Attack with 4 attacks with Rage damage bonuses, or utilizing your high defenses in the thick of combat.

Land-Coast Druid + Long Death Monk. Use Wisdom as your primary stat as you whack enemies with a powerful Shillelagh, stun them with overpowered Stunning Strikes, and absorb insane amounts of HP. Coast provides some clutch powers for a melee combatant, with Misty Step and Mirror Image.

Tempest Cleric. When you get hit, hit them with lightning. Control the battlefield as you become a walking storm. Not much to say here.

Battle Master + Scout Rogue. Weave in-and-out between melee combat, manipulating what your enemies are doing and where they're going. Do exactly what they don't want you to do, and be damned good at it.

CTurbo
2019-12-27, 01:56 PM
Aarakocra Monk(Open Hand or Shadow)

11 Str
20 Dex
14 Con
10 Int
16 Wis
8 Cha

Take 3-5 levels of Scout Rogue at some point, but then stay mostly Monk.

You'd be an awesome Monk in general, but you'd have some really cool tricks up your sleeve. Mainly the fact that when an enemy ends it's turn next to you, you can literally just fly away from it with your reaction.