PDA

View Full Version : Succeeding at a difficult (absurd?) DM challenge

Jay R
2019-12-26, 10:15 PM
I admit it. I’m bragging. But I think I’ve earned the right.

Today I ran a D&D 5e published module, with help from my 11-year-old goddaughter (who had never DMed before, and wanted to try) without ever playing the game or reading the rules before, with essentially no notice.

I had to look up really basic things like an attack roll and a savings throw.

The last two games I’ve played were D&D 3.5e and AD&D 1e. The last two games I DMed were AD&D 2e and original D&D.

It was awkward and slow, but it seemed to go well, and the players enjoyed it. The biggest issue was that with my nose in the book a lot, I wasn’t able to involve my god-daughter enough, and she got frustrated as the game ran on.

It was daunting, tense, and a little overwhelming. I’m glad to have met the challenge.

But I hope I never again have to run a game with no preparation, without even knowing the system.

It certainly wasn’t perfect. But I’m not going to question my DMing skills in the near future.

zinycor
2019-12-26, 10:44 PM
I have done this a couple of times, my advice would be to mainly concentrate on the roleplaying, puzzles, funny voices, detailed descriptions, etc. Anything that doesn't involve the system xD

Jay R
2019-12-27, 10:35 AM
I have done this a couple of times, my advice would be to mainly concentrate on the roleplaying, puzzles, funny voices, detailed descriptions, etc. Anything that doesn't involve the system xD

It's hard to have control over this when running a published module.

-- I did have to make one change in midstream. One person named his wizard "Alexa". I eventually starting referring to that character as "Wizard A", because when I said "Alexa", it confused the system running the background music.

noob
2019-12-27, 11:52 AM
It's hard to have control over this when running a published module.

-- I did have to make one change in midstream. One person named his wizard "Alexa". I eventually starting referring to that character as "Wizard A", because when I said "Alexa", it confused the system running the background music.

Seriously why does companies pilfer common names?

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-27, 12:43 PM
I admit it. I’m bragging. But I think I’ve earned the right.

Today I ran a D&D 5e published module, with help from my 11-year-old goddaughter (who had never DMed before, and wanted to try) without ever playing the game or reading the rules before, with essentially no notice.

I had to look up really basic things like an attack roll and a savings throw.

The last two games I’ve played were D&D 3.5e and AD&D 1e. The last two games I DMed were AD&D 2e and original D&D.

It was awkward and slow, but it seemed to go well, and the players enjoyed it. The biggest issue was that with my nose in the book a lot, I wasn’t able to involve my god-daughter enough, and she got frustrated as the game ran on.

It was daunting, tense, and a little overwhelming. I’m glad to have met the challenge.

But I hope I never again have to run a game with no preparation, without even knowing the system.

It certainly wasn’t perfect. But I’m not going to question my DMing skills in the near future.

Well done!

Are you guys planning on running another game?

Jay R
2019-12-27, 01:26 PM
Well done!

Are you guys planning on running another game?

I have no idea. I had no real advanced warning for this one. But half the players live 200 miles away, and were only visiting for Christmas. So even if we do, it won't be the same group.

I do plan to start checking out used-book stores for 5e books, though.

noob
2019-12-27, 03:41 PM
I have no idea. I had no real advanced warning for this one. But half the players live 200 miles away, and were only visiting for Christmas. So even if we do, it won't be the same group.

I do plan to start checking out used-book stores for 5e books, though.
Books can have quicker access than badly designed websites.
I wish there was websites with multiple indexes and representations that are clearly classified for access as easy as the one in a book.