PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to further enhance the dumbest idea I've had?

jaappleton
2019-12-27, 10:08 AM
I considered a Bard that was just Rick Astley. The adventurer who would never let you down.

But my mind has gone to increasingly crazy and disturbing directions:

An Open Hand Monk:

Macho Kobold Randy Savage

Seriously. And he always talks like he's cutting a promo. Always.

How can I further enhance this?

Imbalance
2019-12-27, 10:38 AM
I don't see how you can have Macho without Miss Elizabeth.

Aidamis
2019-12-27, 10:44 AM
Monk has Unarmored Defense. You can occasionally put on Ricardo Milos clothes an terrify your foes.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-27, 11:04 AM
Change it from Open Hand to Drunken Master. Take two levels of Barbarian. Now you can go savage as the Savage.

Ignore Wisdom. Pump Strength instead of Dexterity. Real men think with their pecs.

Grapple someone, Step of the Wind, max out your jump height and do an elbow drop on them.

Sherlockpwns
2019-12-27, 01:48 PM
Change it from Open Hand to Drunken Master. Take two levels of Barbarian. Now you can go savage as the Savage.

Ignore Wisdom. Pump Strength instead of Dexterity. Real men think with their pecs.

Grapple someone, Step of the Wind, max out your jump height and do an elbow drop on them.

Hah we just had the conversation in another thread, but depending on how your DM rules jumping beyond your max movement I love this idea.

With jump, monk, and 20str are your vertical leap is 48ft. Talk about a backbreaker.

Teaguethebean
2019-12-27, 02:01 PM
Hah we just had the conversation in another thread, but depending on how your DM rules jumping beyond your max movement I love this idea.

Usually they are ok with it as Jeremy Crawford says you can go further than your movement speed with magic.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-27, 02:07 PM
Usually they are ok with it as Jeremy Crawford says you can go further than your movement speed with magic.

Movement: Currency with which determines the amount of distance you may move.

Speed: Attribute that determines how much Movement you gain at the start of your turn.

Dash: Gain an amount of Movement equal to your Speed.

Jump: Move a distance through the air, limited by your Strength.

Jumping is just considered a form of movement, no different than walking. If you cannot Fly 60 feet of distance, you could not Jump 60 feet of distance. However, someone with Fly Speed of 30 can Fly 60 feet of movement with a Dash action. This seems to be a point of contention for some, where they imagine a Jump is a 'button press' effect, and hitting that "limit" of movement causes them to hit an invisible wall, or hover in midair until their turn resumes.

jaappleton
2019-12-27, 02:17 PM
Gotta be Open Hand so I can knock enemies prone before jumping off the Goliath top rope!

And the healing bit of Open Hand is a solid representation of me getting 'pumped up' to return to the fight after taking some big hits, a classic wrestling showmanship staple.

I actually have an artist friend drawing up a Kobold wearing the hat, brightly colored fringe jacket, sunglasses and all. Can't wait!

Any ideas on how to rock the mic in a classic wrestler style? This is for an Avernus character so I'm basically going to say I'll suplex every devil in sight on my way to becoming World Champion, but I'm hoping to go further than that.

Such a shame I won't be high enough level for Quivering Palm, because I'd love to elbow drop people as my way to deliver that.

Teaguethebean
2019-12-27, 02:35 PM
Jumping is just considered a form of movement, no different than walking. If you cannot Fly 60 feet of distance, you could not Jump 60 feet of distance. However, someone with Fly Speed of 30 can Fly 60 feet of movement with a Dash action. This seems to be a point of contention for some, where they imagine a Jump is a 'button press' effect, and hitting that "limit" of movement causes them to hit an invisible wall, or hover in midair until their turn resumes.

I am aware of the rules but if I am not mistaken Jeremy Crawford once said he would allow a character to jump higher than there move speed allowed with magic. So ask your dm if they allow it and you could have oodles of fun.

Sherlockpwns
2019-12-27, 06:07 PM
Yep, if jumping isn't limited by movement speed it also may not be reduced by 1/2 when grappling someone. Even if it is, using your regular move to leap up and add a couple d6 in fall damage is pretty cool (And if the DM rules it isn't, you can do stupid things like jump 100+ ft into the air)