PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Green Dragon and Blue Dragon Personality?

BlueWitch
2019-12-27, 08:24 PM
Both Blue and Green Dragons are said to be manipulative and Lawful Evil.

So is there any differentiating qualities as to how they do these things? as well as any subtle differences to their (general) personalities?

Just wondering since one of my players wants to be a Mesmerist that is Half-Dragon, Half-Gnome. For Flavor, she wants to go with one that fits best. (So we rules out Black, and White Dragons.)

Biggus
2019-12-27, 09:05 PM
Draconomicon goes into a bit more detail. Very briefly: both are status-conscious, but only blues have a formal hierarchy and elaborate social rituals. Blues are vain and serious and like to have grand, impressive caverns for their lairs. Greens favour intimidation and political manipulation towards other creatures, but are coarse and rude among themselves. They use deception and make long-term plans to get what they want.

BlueWitch
2019-12-27, 09:25 PM
Draconomicon goes into a bit more detail. Very briefly: both are status-conscious, but only blues have a formal hierarchy and elaborate social rituals. Blues are vain and serious and like to have grand, impressive caverns for their lairs. Greens favour intimidation and political manipulation towards other creatures, but are coarse and rude among themselves. They use deception and make long-term plans to get what they want.

Great post! Thanks for this! I think we're gonna go Green after all.
She wants to try her hand at seducing a Prince to become a Princess. (More to it than that, but I'm tl:dr'ing)

So the "Political Manip" and "Long-Term" stuff sounds spot on.

ViperMagnum357
2019-12-27, 09:45 PM
Greens tend to be more conniving tyrants, whereas Blues are more likely to have personal codes of conduct, however vicious they might be. The Dragonlance setting goes into a lot of detail, since the 10 basic types are front and center; the Greens are backstabbing gits who serve others only because of fear and intimidation, going all survival of the fittest in a social sense that is tempered by streaks of cowardice. They are lawful because they prefer to subvert social orders from within, rather than defaulting to smashing those systems like a Red or White, or just screwing off whenever things go against them like a Black dragon.

Blues serve causes because of devotion to ideals and whatever codes of honor they have, generally keeping their word while being quick to pounce on opportunities that present themselves.

In the novels, Blues were considered the ideal chromatic dragons serving Takhisis and her knights, because they could be trusted to follow orders and place the cause above their own ambitions. The Reds were more powerful and the other three varieties far more numerous, but the Blues held the prestige and favor of their goddess within the Dragonarmies. In contrast, the Greens were notorious for desertion, unreliable execution of tasks, and spending more time playing social games and settling grudges than conquering territory. They were so bad they made the foul tempered and mostly uncontrollable Reds, feral and independent Whites, and lethargic Black dragons look better by comparison.

Gnaeus
2019-12-28, 10:58 AM
Look at their abilities.

Blue dragons get mimicry. Ventriloquism. Illusions. Cleric domains. They are “I’m going to lure you into a trap” sneaky. They venerate dark powers.

Green dragons get suggestion and dominate. They are “I’m going to make you my pawn sneaky”. They don’t so much venerate dark powers as envy and fear them.

Not that green dragons won’t use traps or blues are above mortal pawns, but that’s where they focus.

Particle_Man
2020-01-03, 03:15 PM
Also, blues are more likely to work together with other blues. Greens are more likely to pull a Starscream, even with other greens.