PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures The Ninth Age

bluntpencil
2019-12-27, 11:52 PM
So, I play Warhammer 40K and enjoy it, but I miss Warhammer Fantasy. Sure, Age of Sigmar is cool, in its own way, but it's not for me right now.

I've seen that the Ninth Age (https://www.the-ninth-age.com/) is a collaborative fanmade ruleset, building on what Warhammer Fantasy was. It seems to have a very cool decentralised method of sourcing miniatures, too - base sizes are prescribed in stat blocks, and then various miniature companies make miniatures to suit each faction. There are lots of different takes on many units.

Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to play yet. Has anyone played? I hear good things, but I'd like more information.

Forum Explorer
2019-12-28, 03:46 AM
So, I play Warhammer 40K and enjoy it, but I miss Warhammer Fantasy. Sure, Age of Sigmar is cool, in its own way, but it's not for me right now.

I've seen that the Ninth Age (https://www.the-ninth-age.com/) is a collaborative fanmade ruleset, building on what Warhammer Fantasy was. It seems to have a very cool decentralised method of sourcing miniatures, too - base sizes are prescribed in stat blocks, and then various miniature companies make miniatures to suit each faction. There are lots of different takes on many units.

Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to play yet. Has anyone played? I hear good things, but I'd like more information.

I played it once when it came out, and have seen it played a bunch of times. It's pretty much a solid upgrade of 8th edition of Warhammer Fantasy. So if you liked 8th edition, you'll likely like 9th Age.

bluntpencil
2019-12-28, 04:45 AM
Sounds good. I've been wanting to paint up a not-Bretonnian army, and this looks like a chance to do it. I'll probably wait for a few more options to be released by the likes of Norba Miniatures though - some of them are really good.

Eldan
2019-12-28, 07:05 AM
I'm on the Ninth Age team. I do miniature libraries, the German translation of the books and I'm on-and-off on the fluff and campaign teams.

And I'll just say that while I like Ninth Age a lot, I don't play it. The system doesn't sit right with me. They streamlined too much stuff and took out a lot of the fun stuff I liked. It's too tournamenty. (Not all of what they took out that i liked was unbalanced or difficult to balance. They took out things like hidden assassins, tunnel deployment and secret magic items too, because those were too complicated to make work in tournaments. Their words, not mine. Or the Vermin now have four weapon teams and two war machines that are pretty much all identical, because templates and special rules for cannons were removed and the risk-reward mechanic for things like ratling guns was nixed)

Requizen
2019-12-29, 01:56 PM
You may find some interest in Kings of War. I hear the new edition is very good, and it seems to be the popular WHFB replacement at least in this area.