PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ghost Touch and Blink

SilverSavio
2019-12-28, 08:56 AM
I know that many threads I've found from way back has said that ghost touch does not work to let you attack while Ethereal since it only states incorporeal, but in pathfinder they specifically call out ghosts as being a part of the Ethereal Plane. Would this then confirm that the incorporeal subtype puts you into the Ethereal Plane and let you attack with ghost touch weapons while using Blink?

KillianHawkeye
2019-12-28, 10:37 AM
No. Ghosts are a weird case in that they kind of exist on both planes at once (when not entirely on the Ethereal Plane, that is).

Psyren
2019-12-28, 08:23 PM
I know that many threads I've found from way back has said that ghost touch does not work to let you attack while Ethereal since it only states incorporeal, but in pathfinder they specifically call out ghosts as being a part of the Ethereal Plane. Would this then confirm that the incorporeal subtype puts you into the Ethereal Plane and let you attack with ghost touch weapons while using Blink?

Nothing on the ethereal plane can affect anything on the material, and that includes ghost touch weapons and force effects. Such attacks can go Material -> Ethereal, but not the other way around; this works the same way in PF as it did in 3.5.

Incorporeal is a different matter - incorporeal creatures are on the material, they just phase through corporeal things. Ghost touch works both ways there.

Ghosts are special because unlike most other undead, they can exist in both states. While ethereal, they can't do anything to interact with the material plane because they aren't actually here. They must first manifest (becoming material + incorporeal) and then their abilities will work on material targets.