PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Fighting Fantasy in DND, a series of terrible mistakes.

FFKonoko
2019-12-28, 11:26 AM
So, I have been interested in DnD for a long time, reading dnd posts and stories, even making characters now and then, but the origin of my interest was probably Fighting Fantasy, the choose your own adventure line of books (and similar ones like Lone Wolf, Sorcery, Dungeoneer/Titan/Allansia).
I have only recently (last 4 months or so) actually played a few sessions though, so very fresh on actually doing it. Our DM is much more experienced, but also has interest in playing the game too. I also have the DM handbook (5e), so of course I decided to start planning for a session so they could play. And also to give them a break from dealing with our newbie paladin of extremely questionable decisions. Boy, there's a whole long story right there.

However what started as an offhand plan to cut down on the work for myself, by cribbing from classic fighting fantasy books (since no-one else at the table has read any), has turned into a fun tangle of a lengthy dungeon map and some extremely questionable balancing from someone with very little experience. As well as some attempts at making up stat blocks for unique monsters and more NPCs than I probably should have. Obviously, I cannot consult my experienced DM for assistance, since they'll be playing it.
Much too late, I discovered I was not the first person to attempt this, and while in the process of typing/posting this, I found a homebrew version of warlock of firetop mountain online (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyE1NYoSf), which is likely a much better starting point than what I had been doing, which was going through the original book itself and writing vague outlines down in notepad. I'll almost certainly end up referring to it to tweak and balance what I put down, as I am continuing to work on it, but I figured it'd be good (and potentially entertaining/useful) to put this endeavor down in writing. Partly so I can see the improvement over time, partly for critique and suggestions, and partly since even with the same source material, I can tell I'm going to end up at a different result than they did.

At this stage, this is mostly in the form of rough notes to myself, rather than what would be read aloud to the players, with plenty of improvisation ready to go.
Ragged edge of civilization, far from the armies that could handle the orc and goblin warbands that roam the area around the mountains base. Many adventurers pass through, but not many attempt the mountain despite its rumored treasure, and very few ever returned. Those that did never considered retrying firetop mountain. There are rumours of what awaits, but the truth of them is dubious. A party of adventurers convene, forming a group to try and tackle it, arriving in the town.
Info gathering/rumours(to add to/edit, as needed for clues): Higher invest rolls, get more knowledge.
*That the wizards magnificent treasure chest is locked away with some ((at least three) two) keys, lost and guarded within the dungeon.
*Some rumours speak of the Warlock as being a wizened wizardly recluse, others of him being a powerful young man.
*Some say he wears silk black gloves that give him power, others that his power secretly came from a deck of cards.
*That some of the more unusual people that left for the mountain didn't return, not because they died or were captured, but because they chose to stay in there.
*Details about the large goblin and orc pack inhabiting the entrance area of the mountain, (the entrance to the dungeon is reinforced by orcish guards, but the monsters only get more fearsome the deeper you go. (good roll gets suggestion that Goblins active/awake from midday until late at night, reward players for picking a good time with sleeping sentries?)
*That the inner chambers are across a river, (but there's a ferry(and you need to save some gold for the trip.)

Time Pressure possible. The war pack talked about is too big for a party to really fight, so ideally they will need to push in past the early parts of the dungeon, not feel free to take long rests in rooms en route, because the warband can return. Don't stat out the warband if they run into them, just make very clear just how many there are and give them a chance to run or hide. TPK potential if they get themselves REALLY stuck and refuse to run?

At this point my notes started to use book numbers, one number per 'encounter', to make it easier to look back up later, as well as putting the numbers onto a map of the warlock of Firetop mountain adventure. The map makes it a lot easier to keep track of the layout, since there are a lot of junctions. It may have be noted there was already a degree of uncertainty in the text about Orcs vs Goblins, since the book used them as related races.

1. Arriving at Firetop Mountain.
The very mountain appears menacing, steep, sharp rocks. Red colour at the top, probably some strange vegetation. (Perception?) Impossible to climb. Dark slimy cave that becomes a wide, worn cave passage. Scurrying of tiny feet. Goblins/nah just tiny rats.
Junction: West 71 East 278

278 East Junction
Locked door. No noise through it. Pick lock dc10? Strength check DC 10-15 to knock it down? If charged through, pit is on other side, play up danger, DC 15+ save. Only two meter drop, d4 damage, round down. Nothing useful in pit, filled with detritus and bones. Investigation, appears to be a goblin garbage dump, midden and corpse disposal, near to the entrance. Some mushroom farming.

71. West Junction Corridor+Sentry Post
Are they being stealthy? Around corner, Sentry post along wall, sleeping Orc Sentry. Nearby cord for alarm summons second orc sentry from room further down the passage.
Door is on left side (west wall). Orc sentry in room also initially sleeping. Key on both orc sentries, for ^^ room.
Rustic box with holes in room, contains single gold coin and a small mouse (orc pet).

208. Musty Sealed Study
Further along the corridor, another door on the left. Silence from inside. Locked, brittle, unused lock (dc 8-10 for strength to break, higher 10-15 DC for picking?)
Stale smelling room, table+desk. Bed in corner, some storeroom shelves with preservatives and such, mirror on the wall. (cannot do anything with mirror, but has hints of magic) Search, desk has Dragonfire book in compartment.

363. Guardroom
Passage continues, another door to left. Terrible singing audible through it. 2 drunk goblin guards. They don't immediately notice door opening. Many filthy mattresses around room, other goblins out raiding? Small smooth box on small neat table on furthest side of the room. Heavier than it looks. Perception? feels like something is moving around. Contains magical snake. How opened? Dex Save to avoid first bite? Snake poofs when killed. Key (99-*chest) inside.

Passages ends with T junction: west 257, east leads to another junction, north is 285, further east is 78

257 Chiefs Room
A straight passage ending in a door, angry shouting audible through it. A beefy orc chieftain whipping a small goblin servant while yelling at him in Orcish. Servant will help master by default, but potential to persuade him. Orcish chiefs weapon rack, collection of mementos. (^^prisoner may recognize one?) nothing better than what they have. Thin leather case on far side, Orcish for hands off on scratched into the lid. Bow and 3 silver arrows, inscribed "giver of sleep to those that never can" in common. Petroom key, and note to gobbos about bow on chiefs body?

78. Mess hall.
Door, muttering and clattering. Pillars around the outside, many tables in the main area. 5 Orcs, busy eating. High sneak potential. Other door to the left/north.(401)

401. Kitchen+Storeroom. Extra provisions, (nature/surv check?) healing herbs.
Chest on the far side, padlocked and with a keyhole beneath the padlock. (Keyhole decorative and for trap. Sturdy wood, good lock, but padlock can be broken off. Pick padlock dc15, smash lid dc14, smash padlock off dc10. Picking keyhole may discover trap.) Gold sheen from within. Trap, soft click if lid is opened past vertical. Shoots a dart straight forward. (1d4 damage) 25 Gold pieces, silken black glove, small black bottle (Invisibility? 1 dose?)
Door to left west 285 (quiet gibbering noise heard through)

285 Maddened man. Pet Room.
Locked door from right side of passage, locked from both sides of room, maddened man inside. Bones scattered on floor, animal and humanoid. Huddled under rags, gibbering in (apparent?) sleep when they enter. Long term captive, tortured, clutching femur, likely to lash out. Possibly blind, wounded eyes, Attacks party? Will prefer to leave than go deeper. If they convince him to come along, or they accompany him on way back and there are any orcs left en route, he may ruin stealth checks and attack orcs wildly. Needs to "make them pay"
Knowledge: Knows little, heard that you need to be respectful of the boatman. Orcs talked of which lever to pull to open the gate ahead, right hand lever. Keys to boathouse are guarded by a man and his dog.
Back in passage, further north, door to 314, continue to 300.

314 Armory.
Another door, silent, solidly locked.
Mostly junk. Shield with golden crescent on(curve down, points up), magical. When picked up, crescent opens into an eye symbol, Sentinel Shield.

Solid metal door, looks like a jail, screams inside. Dwarf prisoner being tortured by two goblins with swords. Probably dies after they come in, struggling when seeing party leading to getting stabbed harder?
Cheese in pocket.

Passage continues to portcullis, 2 levers to open it. Left one sticks out straight, right one is in up position. If closely examined, left lever is actually a trap, razor sharp blade along underside. Pulling right one down opens portcullis.

You feel watched, and then the portcullis slides shut behind you. You have made it past the warbands area and entered the deeper dungeon. Cliffhanger ending of venturing forth, or make it to 63/58 for a rest spot?

A lot of this is very close to the book, but I added an extra room, to let them do more of a loop around, as well as for there to actually be a kitchen along with the dining room. The dungeon is definitely not very realistic/usable, so there was a few tweaks like adding an armory and changing up the nature of the sealed study and switching around a couple item placements.
The actual statting and list of monsters and items was separated out too. Early on, I made the mistake of just looking up the closest equivalent dnd monster in the monster manual and using those stats and equipment. Only once I hit the dining room with 5 orcs did I realize that it was perhaps a little much, because the odds of the party ending up tossing themselves into a meat grinder of 5 great axes sounded disturbingly likely.

Orc Sentry
AC 14 (chain shirt 13+1)
HP 15
Str 16(+3) Dex 12(+1) Con 16(+3) Int 7(-2) Wis 11(0) Cha 10(0)
Passive Perception 10
RUSTY Greataxe +3 to hit, 1d10+3 slashing

2nd Orc Sentry
Targ The Tardy
AC 12 (Leather armour)
HP 15
Passive Perception 10
(unarmed if attacked while sleeping, +5 to hit, 1+3 bludgeoning. Otherwise, Greataxe +5 to hit, 1d12+3 slashing

Drunk Goblin guard x2 (+2 to party to hit chances for drunkenness?)
Gurstn
AC 14 (12+2 studded leather)
HP 10
Str 8(-1) Dex 14(+2) Con 10(0) Int 10(0) Wis 8(-1) Cha 8 (-1)
Scimitar +2 to hit, 1d6+2 slashing

Foo
AC 15 (11+2+2 - leather armour+shield)
HP 6
Str 8(-1) Dex 14(+2) Con 10(0) Int 10(0) Wis 8(-1) Cha 8(-1)
Scimitar +2 to hit, 1d6+2 slashing

Magical Snake
AC 13
2 HP
Str 2(-4) Dex 16(+3) Con 11(0) Int 1(-5) Wis 10(0) Cha 3(-4)
Blindsight, passive perception 10
Bite +5 to hit 1d1 piercing +2d4 poison. DC 10 Con check for half damage.

Orc Chief (Korok)
AC 14 (scalemail)
30 HP
Str 16(+3) Dex 11(0) Con 14(+2) Int 11(-5) Wis 11(0) Cha 12(-4)
whip +4 1d4 +3? slashing

Goblin Servant (Louse)
AC 12 (clothes)
HP 2 (Max 8)
Str 8(-1) Dex 14(+2) Con 10(0) Int 10(0) Wis 8(-1) Cha 8 (-1)
dagger +3 1d4-1

Hungry Hungry Orcs x5
AC 12 (leather armour)
HP 13
Passive Perception 10
to hit, +4
1 Club 1d4+3 Loud
2 Dagger 1d4+2 Scarred
3 Handaxe 1d6+3 Muscular
4 Sickle 1d4+2 Sneaky
5 improvised weapons, +0hit, 1d4. Throws. Fat

Maddened man
Alphye Male Human LN
AC 12
HP 19
Str 11(0) Dex 15(+2) Con 8(-1) Int 9(-1) Wis 13(+1) Cha 9(-1)
+4 to hit, 1d4 makeshift club (femur)
3rd level Ranger, Ex-adventurer, captured, tortured, kept as a pet. Would like very much to leave.
Survival, Stealth, Perception. Defence fighting style,

Dwarf Prisoner
Deadmeat the dwarf.
Hiortri Horveson: Male Dwarf Priest, N.
AC 9 (None 10-1)
HP 1 (max 14)
Str 6(-2) Dex 9(-1) Con 11(0) Int 12(+1) Wis 10(0) Cha 8(-1)

Torturers x2
AC Padded (11+2)
HP 7
STR 8(-1) DEX 14(+2) CON 10(+0) INT 10(+0) WIS 8(-1) CHA 8(-1)
+4 to hit, 1d6-1 short swords

ITEMS:
The Making and Casting of Dragonfire
Let them say how thoroughly they read the book?
Handwritten by Farrigo Di Maggio, legendary mage adventurer that, story of his lifes work, of fighting evil dragons, the research and creation of a unique new spell to do so, but being too old to adventure and travelling to firetop mountain in his old age. "And so you who now hold this book, you can wield my life's work. The power of destruction is yours if you wi****, but do not wasteit. Unless you use the spell for the purpose for which it was intended, you shall instead be consumed and die by the fire from your own hands. Remember, only when an evil dragon breathes its fire at you should you raise your hands and say: Ekil Erif Ekam Erif Eidni Erif, Di Maggio".
(ee-kill eh-rif, ee-kam eh-rif, eh-id-ni eh-rif, dee majeeo) Shortly after being read, the magic words glow then slowly vanish.

Players can and probably should write it down, but they get limited repeat readings of what it says, maybe only one repeat? Effect of spell is specifically for dealing with dragon in later part.

Silver longbow 1d8, martial. Standard bow, but comes with 3 arrows, enchanted silver. (wraith killer)
Sentinal Shield (+2 AC, advantage on initiative and perception checks)

Choose your own adventure books are already tending to be balanced towards multiple play throughs, with lots of unfair situations, restricted options, adventure game logic items needed, and not being able to roam/explore. So things like the portcullis trap, where in the book you just chose one, and if you chose the wrong one you took damage then pulled the other...but you either knew then for every following run, or got the info of which to pull from the prisoner. I think it's still much easier to deal with in DND, since they can say they investigate carefully first and likely spot it. They also have more options, which could let them save the dwarf, or convince the pet ranger to help them out more than the book version ever could. The bow is specifically for oneshotting a wraith later in the book, and came with only 1 arrow. I instead decided to make it 3 and maybe put another silvered weapon or two around in the next part of the dungeon, so they could actually fight it a bit, not just use the thing and win.

The party is PROBABLY going to be 3 or 4 players, and probably starting at level 2 (with them going up aother level after hitting the portcullis milestone). The original plan was 1, but this gives them more options and survivability. Though "Alright, bring multiple character sheets and don't get attached like in our main campaign." is a very definite option. Either way, the uncertainty made using an encounter calculator a bit tricky, even before I started trying to work out the adjusted monsters.

The early map is https://i.imgur.com/CqvF83p.jpg

Second part was already also mostly noted down, as the numbers and dots on the map show. Any suggestions or huge red flags so far to comment on?

Quertus
2019-12-29, 07:46 AM
IMO, the "best practices" approach is to actually test your adventure. Create a party of 3 2nd level characters, run them through exactly the way you ran through the books the first time, see how they do. Create a party of 4 completely different 1st level charterers, run them through a different way (smash down every door? Nova 1 encounter, run away? Whatever), see how they do. Then, you can judge roughly what PCs it will take successfully complete the module, and recalibrate any rough spots.

Not that it will be remotely foolproof. But, when you have actual players run through it, you will really see the difference between your expectations and what real players do, and can use that to gauge future modules.