PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What Deity and race to pick?

Thac0 Redeye
2019-12-28, 03:31 PM
Hello all,
I am planning a new chara and need help choosing a Deity. I am building a Cleric/Warmage/Mystic Theurge. I am to be the stand back blaster and secondary healer. So with this type of build what Deity should I worship and any idea of a race to be. I'd like to have bonuses to CHA and WIS.
Thanks

Palanan
2019-12-28, 03:36 PM
As always, it helps to let us know what books are allowed.

Thac0 Redeye
2019-12-28, 03:46 PM
Ah yes of course.
All core
all completes
BOVD and BOED
Races of...
Spell Compendium
Sandstorm, City scape etc.
all Forgotten Realms
Dungeon Mags
Lords of Madness, Libris mortis etc

NO Ebberon

Also with the Deity suggestion id like domain suggestions thanks

RatElemental
2019-12-28, 03:58 PM
As a secondary healer you'll probably want spontaneous cure spells so you can just sprinkle a bit of healing as needed without devoting slots to it. As such I'd suggest Gond, taking the fire or earth domain and going for channelling positive energy. Could take craft or planning as your second domain and spontaneous domains to be able to use your domain slots for blasting or utility at will.

Could always just go philosophy cleric if your dm allows that and pick whatever domains you want.

Khedrac
2019-12-28, 04:06 PM
Fairly key question - which world are you playing on?

The generic D&D deities are Greyhawk, for which one is best using the Living Greyhawk additions to their domains.
The main alternative (once Ebberon is dismissed) is Forgotten Realms.
The other Deities and Demigods pantheons would be an issue, as they don't have the new domains at all.

Most campaigns that I am aware of will not allow you to choose a FR deitis for Greyhawk or vice versa, hence we need to knwo which set to consider.

Biggus
2019-12-28, 04:13 PM
Lesser Aasimar (PGtF p.191) is probably your best bet for race, as it's +2 Wis +2 Cha and no LA. For deities, what campaign setting are you playing in?

denthor
2019-12-28, 04:15 PM
More importantly what alignment is your character going to be with combined character.

That narrows the field considerably.

Thac0 Redeye
2019-12-28, 04:56 PM
We generally play FR, but now our DM is converting a Pathfinder campaign to std 3.5. so I think that I could use either grayhawk or FR.
Aasimar sounds great, and my align is wide open as of now with the exception of evil. we are playing the good guys.

RatElemental
2019-12-28, 05:43 PM
We generally play FR, but now our DM is converting a Pathfinder campaign to std 3.5. so I think that I could use either grayhawk or FR.
Aasimar sounds great, and my align is wide open as of now with the exception of evil. we are playing the good guys.

I still think Gond would be a good idea. He's FR, true neutral and has some domains with okay blasting and utility spells, as noted. Despite being a god of smiths you could easily just be someone who devotes themselves to his cause without actually being one, adventuring in search of ancient wonders to bring to his smiths to learn from or simply to perfect your craft in order to one day guard a temple with your magic.

Thac0 Redeye
2019-12-28, 06:43 PM
Lesser Aasimar (PGtF p.191) is probably your best bet for race, as it's +2 Wis +2 Cha and no LA. For deities, what campaign setting are you playing in?

I checked p.191 the aasimar isn't listed as a lesser race. ????

Biggus
2019-12-28, 06:51 PM
I checked p.191 the aasimar isn't listed as a lesser race. ????

Aasimar is a subtype of Planetouched. The standard Aasimar (with the +1 LA) is found under Planetouched in the MM (p.209).

For domains and deities, you may find the Forgotten Realms Wiki useful.

You can search deities by alignment: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Deities_by_alignment

And by domain: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Deity_domains

sleepyphoenixx
2019-12-29, 05:51 AM
If FR deities are on the table Mystra is always worth considering for the Spell domain and the Initiate of Mystra feat.
It's also fitting for a Mystic Theurge to worship a goddess of magic.

Biggus
2019-12-29, 06:31 AM
If FR deities are on the table Mystra is always worth considering for the Spell domain and the Initiate of Mystra feat.
It's also fitting for a Mystic Theurge to worship a goddess of magic.

Initiate of Mystra is a ridiculously good feat, it's worth worshipping Mystra just to get access to it. Mystra also gives you access to the magic domain and hence the Dweomerkeeper prestige class for when you run out of MT levels to take.

If you want something a bit less OTT but still useful and thematic for a blaster-healer type, consider Bahamut and the Pride domain. The spells Greater/ Superior Resistance, Conviction and Recitation combined with the granted power of the Pride domain = basically never fail a save after you get 4th-level Cleric spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-12-29, 10:57 AM
Illumian from Races of Destiny, take the Krau sigil first, and get the feat Improved Sigil: Krau. Once you get your second sigil, you can pick one 1st level spell from each class that will count as a 2nd level spell whenever you cast it, as though it's been Heightened for free. With this you can qualify for Mystic Theurge with only two levels in one class and one level in your other class. The Krau sigil also keeps your caster level in both classes current with your character level for how powerful your spells are.

For domains, I strongly recommend taking something that's going to give you the utility that Warmage is lacking, such as Travel and Time. If you can't find a deity that grants exactly the domains you want, pick an ideal instead (PHB p32). I also recommend using Cloistered Cleric (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) if it's available.

Thac0 Redeye
2019-12-30, 05:54 PM
Illumian from Races of Destiny, take the Krau sigil first, and get the feat Improved Sigil: Krau. Once you get your second sigil, you can pick one 1st level spell from each class that will count as a 2nd level spell whenever you cast it, as though it's been Heightened for free. With this you can qualify for Mystic Theurge with only two levels in one class and one level in your other class. The Krau sigil also keeps your caster level in both classes current with your character level for how powerful your spells are.

For domains, I strongly recommend taking something that's going to give you the utility that Warmage is lacking, such as Travel and Time. If you can't find a deity that grants exactly the domains you want, pick an ideal instead (PHB p32). I also recommend using Cloistered Cleric (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) if it's available.

I have never really looked at the Illumian before, and am having a hard time understanding how they work. Is this right:

At first level I take Krau as a power sigil. At this point I cast any 1st level cleric spell as a 2nd level caster?

As a first level feat I take improved sigil krau and can cast only one 1st level cleric spell as a 2nd level spell also with a CL2?

Then at second level I take another (i'm leaning towards Hoon). Then I never get another power sigil?

So at second level Cleric1/Warmage1 I can cast a single cleric and single warmage 1st level spell as 2nd level spell qualifying me for Mystic Theurge? (at this point why couldn't I go into MT at 3rd level?)

Then later levels would the Krau sigil and imp feat let me cast either class spell as my chara level +1? so at cleric1/warmage1/MT4 (chara level 6) im casting either cleric or warmage spells at CL 7?

If all this is right it sounds good!

also what would the Cloistered Cleric give me?

RatElemental
2019-12-30, 06:02 PM
I have never really looked at the Illumian before, and am having a hard time understanding how they work. Is this right:

At first level I take Krau as a power sigil. At this point I cast any 1st level cleric spell as a 2nd level caster?
No. It caps at character level like practiced spellcaster does. It will, however, let you "make up" for having to spread your levels out into different casting classes to make both those casting classes closer to your actual level for the purposes of casting.

As a first level feat I take improved sigil krau and can cast only one 1st level cleric spell as a 2nd level spell
Yes.

also with a CL2?
No. See above.

Then at second level I take another (i'm leaning towards Hoon). Then I never get another power sigil?

Yes to both parts of that.

I can't answer the others parts of this post.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-12-30, 06:50 PM
You can’t start taking Mystic Theurge until 4th level due to its skill prerequisites. So you’ll need two levels in one of those classes.

Cloistered Cleric gets an extra domain, a few spells added to its list, and more skill points in exchange for losing armor and shield proficiency. You won’t be using medium or heavy armor due to Warmage arcane spell failure anyway. You’ll still have the proficiencies Warmage grants.