PDA

View Full Version : Where are the NPC sorcerers?

JoeJ
2019-12-28, 07:46 PM
What the subject line says. Volo's has NPC versions of the different wizard school and the various types of warlocks, but they left out sorcerers and I'd really like to see how the devs. handle metamagic for an NPC.

MaxWilson
2019-12-28, 08:13 PM
What the subject line says. Volo's has NPC versions of the different wizard school and the various types of warlocks, but they left out sorcerers and I'd really like to see how the devs. handle metamagic for an NPC.

See: Kobold Scale Sorcerer, in Volo's.

TheUser
2019-12-28, 09:14 PM
Xandala is a Half-Elf NPC Sorceror

https://5e.tools/bestiary/xandala-toa.html

micahaphone
2019-12-28, 09:54 PM
Out of the Abyss has Derro sorcerers, and the Forge of Fury has a troglodyte chieftan sorcerer. Though none of these use metamagic.

TBH I'm pretty sure it's just a way to include enemy spellcasters that don't have spellbooks that can be looted.

It'd be fun to make a magic item similar to the ring of loyalty from Ravnica - something like if the wearer dies, their body (or maybe only certain predetermined objects) immediately combust. Good for cults, organized crime, political intrigue, and other "don't let them learn anything" groups.

Hail Tempus
2019-12-28, 10:08 PM
I think any charisma based NPC caster, unless it’s specifically tagged as a warlock or bard, falls under sorcerer.

MaxWilson
2019-12-28, 10:58 PM
It'd be fun to make a magic item similar to the ring of loyalty from Ravnica - something like if the wearer dies, their body (or maybe only certain predetermined objects) immediately combust. Good for cults, organized crime, political intrigue, and other "don't let them learn anything" groups.

Only until the PCs catch on and start beating enemy spellcasters unconscious instead of killing them.

First pillage, then burn!

micahaphone
2019-12-28, 11:02 PM
Only until the PCs catch on and start beating enemy spellcasters unconscious instead of killing them.

First pillage, then burn!

Next thing you know, cultists are wearing a plethora of rings that do nasty things to the wearer upon hitting 0 HP.

Okay, then the PCs will start asking if they can chop off hands. The self-immolation arms race has begun.

Chaosmancer
2019-12-28, 11:07 PM
Wow, a Kobold, some Derro, a Troglodyte... WoTC is doing a great job of making Sorcerers seem like respectable members of society. Only thing worse would be adding a half-elf to the group.

Seriously though, that is kind of sad, but I think the big reason is metamagic. It just changes too many things and is too much to track for the average DM running an encounter. Same reason I bet we get very few Monks or Battlemasters either.

Avoiding resource pools.

MaxWilson
2019-12-28, 11:26 PM
Next thing you know, cultists are wearing a plethora of rings that do nasty things to the wearer upon hitting 0 HP.

Okay, then the PCs will start asking if they can chop off hands. The self-immolation arms race has begun.

If you deal 1 HP of damage to the bad guys, they explode!

Team: Gas Spores Forever!

JoeJ
2019-12-28, 11:47 PM
So there are no examples of NPCs with metamagic, is that correct?

TheUser
2019-12-29, 01:36 AM

The one I linked from ToA has metamagic.

JoeJ
2019-12-29, 01:48 AM
The one I linked from ToA has metamagic.

Ah! So she does. Thanks, that helps. :)

MaxWilson
2019-12-29, 01:48 AM

Incorrect. The Kobold Scale Sorcerer has metamagic.

JoeJ
2019-12-29, 07:18 PM
Incorrect. The Kobold Scale Sorcerer has metamagic.

Okay. I was looking at the NPCs and didn't think to go though all the monsters.