PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - Most Powerful NPC or Monster in Golarion Solar System?

unseenmage
2019-12-28, 09:44 PM
That actually has stats. Rovagug is not only trapped in The Cage but isnt really recruitabld as a PC resource since it is unstatted.

AntiAuthority
2019-12-28, 10:52 PM
That actually has stats. Rovagug is not only trapped in The Cage but isnt really recruitabld as a PC resource since it is unstatted.

Not going to lie, my first instinct was to say the (probably generic) Tarrasque (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/spawn-of-destruction/tarrasque/) or Baba Yaga and I'm aware she might or might not qualify as she might or might not be on Golarion at any random time (https://www.aonprd.com/MythicMonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Baba%20Yaga)...

But then I remembered this guy (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/kaiju/kaiju-varklops/) existed. If Baba Yaga is out, and you're focused on raw power, then this would be my recommendation.

Essentially King Ghidorah in Pathfinder form.

He possesses 3 breath attacks (in a 1200' line) that can be fired in individual directions or focused in only one direction, each breath requiring an individual saving throw and has the chance of stunning the targets. Best part is each breath weapon does 20d6 fire and 20d6 bludgeoning damage, so that's 360 damage total on average, or 720 maximum. On max damage, that can seriously injure (if not outright kill) a majority of enemies

He can fly... Just throwing that out there.

He can make himself immune to Cold damage, and even choose to deflect it onto another target.

If you're worried about maintenance, he has Fast Healing 30; Damage Reduction 20/Epic; is immune to ability damage, ability drain, death effects, disease, energy drain, fear, fire; resists acid 30, cold 30, electricity 30, negative energy 30, sonic 30. Only real downside is no Spell Resistance, but his lowest save is a +23 so he should be able to resist a lot of Will Save based spells...

A powerhouse overall, though not necessarily the most useful for utility unless you intend to use the giant monster to extort resources out of people through threats, but sure...

Biggus
2019-12-28, 11:01 PM
But then I remembered this guy (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/kaiju/kaiju-varklops/) existed. If Baba Yaga is out, and you're focused on raw power, then this would be my recommendation.

I think this fella (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu/) might just edge him out...

unseenmage
2019-12-28, 11:07 PM
I think this fella (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu/) might just edge him out...

Cthulhu is exllicitly sleeping on some far off planet though.

MesiDoomstalker
2019-12-29, 12:23 AM
Isn't one the planets in Galorion's system populated by some uber-powered Lich's which are responsible for the planet's otherwise lifelessness? Have they been statted?

Biggus
2019-12-29, 12:27 AM
Cthulhu is exllicitly sleeping on some far off planet though.

It doesn't say whether the planet is in the same solar system as Golarion. What exactly did you mean by "recruitable as a PC resource"?

unseenmage
2019-12-29, 07:15 AM
It doesn't say whether the planet is in the same solar system as Golarion. What exactly did you mean by "recruitable as a PC resource"?

If it has stats and sapience it is theoretically rewritable via Diplomacy or one might Simulacrum.it or build a Trompe L'oeil of it or use the Price by CR rules to even make an Alter Ego of it.

Treblain
2019-12-29, 12:31 PM
Pazuzu (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/demon-lords/demon-lord-pazuzu) is CR 30 and only three words away...

Also mythic tiers/ranks make creatures pretty strong, maybe check the last book of Wrath of the Righteous for stats of the strongest mythic monsters/NPCs, but since the events of APs are canon, they have presumably been defeated by a party of adventurers already.

Quertus
2019-12-30, 10:33 AM
Also mythic tiers/ranks make creatures pretty strong, maybe check the last book of Wrath of the Righteous for stats of the strongest mythic monsters/NPCs, but since the events of APs are canon, they have presumably been defeated by a party of adventurers already.

Which makes them available for Simulacrum, Trompe L'oeil, and what better way to impress a potential ally than to resurrect them?

Ilorin Lorati
2019-12-30, 08:19 PM
It doesn't say whether the planet is in the same solar system as Golarion.

It actually does, since it calls out his location as R’lyeh, which is noted elsewhere as being on Earth.

upho
2019-12-31, 03:31 AM
It actually does, since it calls out his location as R’lyeh, which is noted elsewhere as being on Earth.This. Anyways, shouldn't be too hard to learn how to wake him up and have him pop by for a chat (or painting his portrait - he likes spreading madness, after all).

Which is nice, since "Big Ol' Fatso Squidface" also probably has more raw power than any other creature given stats by Paizo in PF. I'd personally go for Baba Yaga if possible though, as she easily beats Squidface in terms of utility and overall versatility, and possibly also in raw power if she can be persuaded to change her spell selection, more so if she's up for some retraining.

Neither Pazuzu or Varklops are even remotely close to as dangerous on their own, both having plenty of relative weaknesses and no abilities to gain vital info on enemies or to adapt accordingly. Which is also reflected in the fact that either can be relatively easily one-shot by a sufficiently high-op 1PP martial.

Helluin
2019-12-31, 05:13 AM
If you're worried about maintenance, he has Fast Healing 30; Damage Reduction 20/Epic; is immune to ability damage, ability drain, death effects, disease, energy drain, fear, fire; resists acid 30, cold 30, electricity 30, negative energy 30, sonic 30. Only real downside is no Spell Resistance, but his lowest save is a +23 so he should be able to resist a lot of Will Save based spells...

Both Baba Yaga & Tar-Baphon (who’s not nearly as powerful as Baba Yaga) have Dominate Monster at DC 36+ (37 for Baba Yaga) though, and that’s without using Mythic spell to boost DC or using Hexes to reduce save (in Baba Yaga’s case, she could pump out DC 39 Dominate Monster with -4 save penalty with no additional prep). +23 isn’t really gonna cut it.

While post-Reign-of-Winter Baba Yaga is probably above meddling with Golarion, and Tar-Baphon has been dealt with in the recent AP, Sorshen, the Runelord of Lust, still resides in Golarion and is very much active... I haven’t read the AP but I believe that her stat block has been published.

Kurald Galain
2019-12-31, 06:02 AM
Let's see. Sorshen is wizard 20 / mythic trickster 10. Baba Yaga is witch 20 / mythic archmage 10. Tar-Baphon is wizard 20 / mythic lich 10. Other contenders would be Belimarius (wizard 18), Razmir (wizard 19), Hao Jin (sorcerer 20 / mythic archmage 10), Aslynn (elder night hag), and a couple of great wyrm dragons that I'm unable to find stats for, such as Daralathyxl and Pham Duc Quan. All of them have a number of custom magic items and/or artifacts.

Now archmage mythic path is ridiculously powerful even by wizard standards. However, Baba Yaga and Hao Jin are generally not on Golarion. Sorshen could probably take down Tar-Baphon as trickster seems stronger than mythic lich; but she is currently content to rule her own kingdom and be conflict-averse.

So yeah, the money is on Tar-Baphon.

upho
2019-12-31, 08:53 AM
Both Baba Yaga & Tar-Baphon (who’s not nearly as powerful as Baba Yaga) have Dominate Monster at DC 36+ (37 for Baba Yaga) though, and that’s without using Mythic spell to boost DC or using Hexes to reduce save (in Baba Yaga’s case, she could pump out DC 39 Dominate Monster with -4 save penalty with no additional prep). +23 isn’t really gonna cut it.Yeah, a save of +23 certainly won't cut it, not against enemies appropriate for a high level Mythic game. But I guess you could of course buy your new friend an item or two to fix that, and/or make them a construct to bypass the most dire consequences in many cases.

And at least if the game's also more high-op/high-power like the one relevant to this thread seems to be, I'd say there's also a problem with a dominate DC of +36, as actually challenging enemies will very frequently have considerable bonuses to saves or immunity vs mind-affecting, enchantments, compulsion and/or similar*, none of which even Baba Yaga can overcome/ignore as written AFAIK (she doesn't even have Threnodic Metamagic or draconic malice prepared). So at least a threnodic metamagic rod or two plus the advice to prepare quickened draconic malice should probably be among your first bribes gifts to Dear Old Knobby Legs to ensure she stays with Team Protagonist.

*For example, at 20th even a relatively simple martial NPC, like say a raging bloodrager with dips in pally and monk, could easily have a base Will bonus of +30, increasing to +36 vs (Su), (Sp) and spells in general and to +40 vs enchantments specifically (excluding other temporary bonuses or items other than a basic headband and cloak). Not to mention the usual suspects undead, constructs, many aberrations etc.

While post-Reign-of-Winter Baba Yaga is probably above meddling with Golarion, and Tar-Baphon has been dealt with in the recent AP, Sorshen, the Runelord of Lust, still resides in Golarion and is very much active... I haven’t read the AP but I believe that her stat block has been published.Her stats have indeed been published and are of course promising since she's a 20th level wizard with 10 Mythic tiers - enchanter 20/trickster 10 (CR 27) - who comes loaded with artifacts and some great base stats for pretty amazing versatility. She's quite far below Baba Yaga however (though her default dominate monster DC is actually 1 higher), and her more restrictive sin school and enchantment focus suffers even more from the mentioned high save bonus/immunity issues, while she also lacks the proper tools to reliably overcome them (as written). But much of that should easily be fixed with for example the mentioned rods and advice (and maybe some additional DC boosters), so she might very well be the most powerful accessible NPC on the material plane.

EDIT:

Sorshen could probably take down Tar-Baphon as trickster seems stronger than mythic lich; but she is currently content to rule her own kingdom and be conflict-averse.I definitely think Sorshen seems more capable, perhaps especially in an adventuring party. But yeah, you may very well be right that recruiting her from playing "goody-two-shoes peace-keeper queen" will be a virtually impossible. In which case I agree that Tar-Baphon seems to be the best option.

/EDIT

Helluin
2019-12-31, 10:17 AM
:smalltongue: I haven’t thought much about convincing any NPCs — Kinda assumed that if even Rovagug and Cthulhu were given serious consideration (note that Rovagug wasn’t immediately dismissed as an option due to the whole HOLY SH*T IT IS DESTROYING THE PRIME MATERIAL PLANE thing but rather on the grounds that he’s locked up, likewise for Cthulhu), persuading either Sorshen or Tar-Baphon should be a secondary concern (at most) for whoever that’s trying to recruit these people (using “people” loosely, of course).

It does make me wonder though, why is it not possible to enlist off-plane/off-planet entities? Interplanetary/Planar travel is trivial at this level, and while spellcasters like Baba Yaga can be impossible to find unless they want to be found, there are always a bunch of demigods and near deific beings (Balor Lords, Empyrean angel paragons, Olethros mothers etc.) who are more or less just hanging around in their home planes. Are planar boundaries completely sealed off in this scenario?

unseenmage
2019-12-31, 11:03 AM
It does make me wonder though, why is it not possible to enlist off-plane/off-planet entities? Interplanetary/Planar travel is trivial at this level, and while spellcasters like Baba Yaga can be impossible to find unless they want to be found, there are always a bunch of demigods and near deific beings (Balor Lords, Empyrean angel paragons, Olethros mothers etc.) who are more or less just hanging around in their home planes. Are planar boundaries completely sealed off in this scenario?

So the only planets currently being stolen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?605508-3-P-TO-I-have-2-yrs-to-steal-Golarion) are the Golariin solar system and its sun.
But man it IS tempting to steal Cthulhu's resting place as well.

Apperantly PF divinity will be at the very least turned off in the new universe.
Which makes me wonder.. what IS Rovagug without its divinity?
For that matter, what is each god sans their divine spark?

Psyren
2019-12-31, 07:36 PM
So the only planets currently being stolen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?605508-3-P-TO-I-have-2-yrs-to-steal-Golarion) are the Golariin solar system and its sun.
But man it IS tempting to steal Cthulhu's resting place as well.

Apperantly PF divinity will be at the very least turned off in the new universe.
Which makes me wonder.. what IS Rovagug without its divinity?
For that matter, what is each god sans their divine spark?

True deities "exist beyond rules or statblocks" and so turning that off means you have to come up with something else. Maybe they don't exist, maybe they exist but become inert, maybe you invent some shell with Outsider HD like the 3.5 versions (or even make them powerful mortals like they were in Faerun's Time of Troubles, maybe they become vestiges etc. There isn't a canonical answer for this.

Kurald Galain
2020-01-01, 07:15 AM
This thread got me wondering where the top-level divine casters are in Golarion... and it turns out another contender is Aspexia, high priestess of Asmodeus. She is not the most powerful in personal power (cleric 19, but no mythic ranks), but is second only to the Queen in the powerful nation of Cheliax (who herself is a 16th level sorceress). So she wields a lot more political power and influence than Sorshen (in the remote and tiny New Thassilon) or Tar-Baphon (on a small island full of undead).

noob
2020-01-01, 07:39 AM
This. Anyways, shouldn't be too hard to learn how to wake him up and have him pop by for a chat (or painting his portrait - he likes spreading madness, after all).

Which is nice, since "Big Ol' Fatso Squidface" also probably has more raw power than any other creature given stats by Paizo in PF. I'd personally go for Baba Yaga if possible though, as she easily beats Squidface in terms of utility and overall versatility, and possibly also in raw power if she can be persuaded to change her spell selection, more so if she's up for some retraining.

Neither Pazuzu or Varklops are even remotely close to as dangerous on their own, both having plenty of relative weaknesses and no abilities to gain vital info on enemies or to adapt accordingly. Which is also reflected in the fact that either can be relatively easily one-shot by a sufficiently high-op 1PP martial.

Were not orcus and the devil pf monsters(I believe they had both crazy slas and CL20 in a caster class)?

upho
2020-01-01, 05:54 PM
Were not orcus and the devil pf monsters(I believe they had both crazy slas and CL20 in a caster class)?Both are 3PP (both by Necromancer Games/Frog God Games). And at least Orcus as written is hilariously overrated to CR 35, as for example CR 30 Cthlulhu is much more dangerous and would have Orcus for breakfast. But if Rappan Athuk is included in the game, Orcus would at least exist on Golarion and could therefore theoretically be recruited.

Btw, Lucifer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/devil/devils-unique/devil-lucifer-prince-of-darkness-tohc/) is less erroneously rated to CR 39 (but also too high IMO), having both 20th level sorcerer and 19th level cleric casting on top of a ton of SLAs and very high base combat numbers. But just as Orcus, he lacks both enough useful combat feats as well as Mythic levels, and thus perhaps especially his action economy isn't nearly as great as for example Baba Yaga's, and he doesn't have quite as insane levels of raw combat power as Cthulhu has AFAICT (even if most of Lucifer's numbers are even higher). He's also almost as much of a walking trash can filled with poor spells and old garbage feats as Orcus is. Which is admittedly pretty darn impressive IMO, but in a quite different sense... :smallamused:

Kurald Galain
2020-01-01, 06:19 PM
Btw, Lucifer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/devil/devils-unique/devil-lucifer-prince-of-darkness-tohc/) is less erroneously rated to CR 39 (but also too high IMO),
Yeah, but he can summon 4d10 lemures! That's got to be impressive, right? :smallbiggrin:

Helluin
2020-01-02, 03:04 AM
This thread got me wondering where the top-level divine casters are in Golarion... and it turns out another contender is Aspexia, high priestess of Asmodeus. She is not the most powerful in personal power (cleric 19, but no mythic ranks), but is second only to the Queen in the powerful nation of Cheliax (who herself is a 16th level sorceress). So she wields a lot more political power and influence than Sorshen (in the remote and tiny New Thassilon) or Tar-Baphon (on a small island full of undead).

Auzmezar is a Druid 20/Hierophant 5. He is also a Siabrae (CR+2) and leads his own cabal of Siabrae Druids in the Stonewilds, keeping the demon Shaorhaz (Vrolikai Inquisitor 9) and it’s demonic legions at bay.

upho
2020-01-03, 12:39 PM
Yeah, but he can summon 4d10 lemures! That's got to be impressive, right? :smallbiggrin:He can? :smalleek: That's beyond impressive; it's friggin' awesome! I mean, who wouldn't want the company of up to no less than forty cuddly furry friends?

Oh wait, seems lemure isn't just lemur spelled wrong. Crap. But I guess that's to be expected, as the troop cuddle attack bonus and cuteness save DCs would've been off the charts otherwise...*

*I've actually experienced this IRL, and I think very few things are as utterly disarming as being group hugged by a troop of friendly playful and purring lemurs. They basically daze you into a state of joyful bliss and leave you unable to do anything but stagger around like a drunk and giggle for several minutes afterwards...

Eldonauran
2020-01-03, 12:56 PM
Well, Gozreh (the deity) actually inhabits Golarion, and isnt trapped in a cage like Rovagug. I doubt that he/she would be recruit-able.

Pugwampy
2020-01-03, 05:17 PM
The Dungeon Master is the most powerful and perfect being in all of Golarion .

Quertus
2020-01-04, 07:34 AM
The Dungeon Master is the most powerful and perfect being in all of Golarion .

I suggest using the artifact "Pizza" to grant a circumstance bonus to your Diplomacy roll when trying to get this being on your side. :smallwink:

upho
2020-01-04, 10:01 AM
Well, Gozreh (the deity) actually inhabits Golarion, and isnt trapped in a cage like Rovagug. I doubt that he/she would be recruit-able.Most likely not, but s/he's irrelevant for the topic of this thread since s/he also doesn't have any actual stats.

The Dungeon Master is the most powerful and perfect being in all of Golarion .Paizo has published stats for a creature named "The Dungeon Master"? Which lives on Golarion? So do we finally get to find out just how terrifyingly omnipotent this so-called "Rule Zero" "God of Gods" dude actually is? (I hope they didn't forget the infamous "Rocks Fall" and "Fiat" abilities.)

Or are you saying your DM actually lives on Golarion and Paizo decided to give them stats?

Oh wait. Forget all that, it doesn't matter. I just realized the stats of The Dungeon Master would of course be about as (un)impressive as your average unnamed 2nd level expert NPC (no offense to your DM intended). Too bad Paizo didn't publish the stats for The Game Master instead, and that your DM isn't called a GM...

Anyways, if for nothing else than flavor reasons, I'll still be really disappointed if Paizo actually forgot to include the famous "Pizza" consumable artifact our learned academia wizard in the Playground Quertus wisely mentioned. I imagine it grants the fattest and cheesiest overkill bonus to Diplomacy checks in the game when used to influence "The Dungeon Master", right?

:smallwink:

unseenmage
2020-01-04, 10:29 AM
Unity, the rogue AI from the Iron Gods AP.. can someone with access to books tell me if its core processor has stats?

It's my understanding that it is just s demigod and might be viable for this project.

MesiDoomstalker
2020-01-04, 12:51 PM
Unity, the rogue AI from the Iron Gods AP.. can someone with access to books tell me if its core processor has stats?

It's my understanding that it is just s demigod and might be viable for this project.

Unity, unless given a physical form, probably doesn't work. You only fight him inside his own computer core. The only physical form he has is a CR 20 robot (which inherits most of his Mythic abilities) but that's rather paltry compared to Sorshen or Baba Yaga. And explicitly can't leave the Silver Mount till his master plan is complete (which turns the entirety of Galorion into brainwashed worship-machinery). Even if you could somehow get his digital avatar into the real world, he's just an Advanced Solar (with alignment effects inverted to [Lawful] and [Evil] as appropriate) with 8 Mythic Ranks.