PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arcane Trickster Alternate Spell List

Ilgivan
2019-12-29, 01:04 AM
A lot of players want to play a sneaky caster like the arcane trickster but aren't comfortable with the enchantment school and the implications it causes. One easy fix is to say that they draw from divination and illusion instead of enchantment and illusion, but I have created an alternate spell list for the arcane trickster that a player could draw from for all their spells instead of operating under the normal selection limitation. The spells listed here are only from the SRD. If you think another spell would be appropriate to this alternate list, or feel that one I selected is inappropriate, please let me know. Thanks.

Alarm
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Detect Poison and Disease
Disguise Self
Entangle
Feather Fall
Find Familiar
Fog Cloud
Grease
Hunter's Mark
Illusory Script
Longstrider
Sanctuary
Silent Image
Sleep

Alter Self
Arcane Lock
Blindness/Deafness
Continual Flame
Darkness
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Find Traps
Hold Person
Invisibility
Knock
Levitate
Locate Object
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Protection From Poison
Rope Trick
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Web

Blink
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Gaseous Form
Haste
Hypnotic Pattern
Major Image
Nondetection
Phantom Steed
Sending
Slow
Speak With Dead
Tongues

Arcane Eye
Compulsion
Confusion
Dimension Door
Faithful Hound
Freedom of Movement
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain
Phantasmal Killer
Private Sanctum
Secret Chest

Spectrulus
2019-12-29, 02:09 AM
I like the idea of pulling Divination & Illusion rather than the Enchantment school.

A lot of the list you provided pulls from Conjuration, Abjuration amd other schools however. Was there a reason for that? They do get to pick a few non-restricted spells in the base archetype.

Ilgivan
2019-12-29, 09:42 AM
I like the idea of pulling Divination & Illusion rather than the Enchantment school.

A lot of the list you provided pulls from Conjuration, Abjuration amd other schools however. Was there a reason for that? They do get to pick a few non-restricted spells in the base archetype.

This list is “thematically appropriate to a rogue” and is intended as an alternate spell list without a school restriction. Instead of “bare handful off the wizard list but you can pick any wizard spell once per spell level” you get the entire list but with no spells outside it. I tried to pick largely non-damaging spells, and ones that either aid stealth or entry. I asked myself “what should a spell list for rogues look like if it’s purpose built for rogues?”

MrStabby
2020-01-07, 08:15 AM
A few of these seem a bit odd, others right on. I can see counterspell and dispel magic for example, but sending? Slow? Haste? Phantom steed? These seem a bit weird.