PDA

View Full Version : Magic item help

moonfly7
2019-12-29, 10:37 AM
The party I DM just defeated, in mostly individual combat: a storm giant, a demi lich, a Phoenix, and a terrasque. These creatures were challenges to prove their worthiness, and they each gained a special magic item from their kill.

The monk got terrasque hide and horn gauntlets from the terrasque he killed. The cleric got a Phoenix shield. The wizard got the liches spell book. And the barbarian got the storm giants sword.

I need some help making these things legendary or thereabouts items. I've already done the liches spell book, so I don't need that. I know I want the storm giants greatsword to deal 2d6 extra thunder damage and 2d6 extra lightning damage, and with a plus 3 bonus I think that wraps up that. But what i really need help with is the Phoenix shield and the terrasque gauntlets. Any help you can give would be most appreciated thank you in advance!

CorporateSlave
2019-12-29, 11:58 AM
The party I DM just defeated, in mostly individual combat: a storm giant, a demi lich, a Phoenix, and a terrasque. These creatures were challenges to prove their worthiness, and they each gained a special magic item from their kill.

The monk got terrasque hide and horn gauntlets from the terrasque he killed. The cleric got a Phoenix shield. The wizard got the liches spell book. And the barbarian got the storm giants sword.

I need some help making these things legendary or thereabouts items. I've already done the liches spell book, so I don't need that. I know I want the storm giants greatsword to deal 2d6 extra thunder damage and 2d6 extra lightning damage, and with a plus 3 bonus I think that wraps up that. But what i really need help with is the Phoenix shield and the terrasque gauntlets. Any help you can give would be most appreciated thank you in advance!

Terrasque Gauntlets (grant the wearer some of the abilities of the Terrasque) - Some feature ideas assuming you want to make them "custom" for the Monk:

Siege Punches - Unarmed Strikes deal double damage against structures and objects.
Reflective Deflection - Allows Deflect Missiles ability to be used with Magic Missile, line spells, or spells that require an attack roll. If damage reduced to 0, 1 Ki will reflect the spell back at the caster.
Terrasque's Resistance - Wearer has Advantage on Saving Throws against spells and magical effects.
Terrasque's Immunity - As a Bonus Action, 1 Ki will grant immunity from one damage type that a Terrasque has immunity to for 1 minute.
Relentless Advance - Wearer is immune to the Paralyzed condition.
Fearless - Wearer is immune to the Frightened condition (or alternately, cannot be Frightened by a creature of Large size or larger).
Terrasque's Sense - Wearer has Blindsight to 120' (or whatever range)

Of course you could add any/all of the above, and/or some basic + to AC / CON / STR that would befit a magic item created from a Tarrasque.

moonfly7
2019-12-29, 01:19 PM
Terrasque Gauntlets (grant the wearer some of the abilities of the Terrasque) - Some feature ideas assuming you want to make them "custom" for the Monk:

Siege Punches - Unarmed Strikes deal double damage against structures and objects.
Reflective Deflection - Allows Deflect Missiles ability to be used with Magic Missile, line spells, or spells that require an attack roll. If damage reduced to 0, 1 Ki will reflect the spell back at the caster.
Terrasque's Resistance - Wearer has Advantage on Saving Throws against spells and magical effects.
Terrasque's Immunity - As a Bonus Action, 1 Ki will grant immunity from one damage type that a Terrasque has immunity to for 1 minute.
Relentless Advance - Wearer is immune to the Paralyzed condition.
Fearless - Wearer is immune to the Frightened condition (or alternately, cannot be Frightened by a creature of Large size or larger).
Terrasque's Sense - Wearer has Blindsight to 120' (or whatever range)

Of course you could add any/all of the above, and/or some basic + to AC / CON / STR that would befit a magic item created from a Tarrasque.

I think I'll take the siege punches, and the magic reflection.

J-H
2019-12-29, 01:48 PM
What level is this party?
+3 to hit and +4d6+3 damage is quite a lot. Does that double the Barbarian's damage per-hit?

Phoenix shield:
+3 shield
Fire immunity
+WIS to damage with fire spells
Cast Revivify 1/day from the shield without consuming a spell slot

Tarrasque Hide:
Magic Resistance, 3/day reflect a spell attack roll back at the attacker.

Tarrasque horn gloves:
+3 to hit & damage; gain additional Ki points per day equal to the monk's Constitution modifier.

moonfly7
2019-12-29, 04:28 PM
What level is this party?
+3 to hit and +4d6+3 damage is quite a lot. Does that double the Barbarian's damage per-hit?

Phoenix shield:
+3 shield
Fire immunity
+WIS to damage with fire spells
Cast Revivify 1/day from the shield without consuming a spell slot

Tarrasque Hide:
Magic Resistance, 3/day reflect a spell attack roll back at the attacker.

Tarrasque horn gloves:
+3 to hit & damage; gain additional Ki points per day equal to the monk's Constitution modifier.

Was a level 10 party, they're now level 12 after they each 1v1ed creatures way above their CR and killed a terrasque.

J-H
2019-12-30, 09:15 AM
Giving them absurd bigger numbers (that axe is +3 to hit and an average of +17 to damage) will just let them overcome even tougher foes. Focus on adding versatility...give them more options to be creative with, instead of just giving them bigger numbers.

Bigger numbers will make challenging the party even harder. They will run out of non-curbstomp encounters.

Admael
2019-12-30, 12:12 PM
I'm curious, how did a group of 10th level characters defeat these mighty creatures.

moonfly7
2019-12-30, 01:46 PM
I'm curious, how did a group of 10th level characters defeat these mighty creatures.

Demi litch didn't have lair actions, and the wizard dumped magic charges from an item to cast lowest level summon celestial. Then used cloud of daggers until it died.
The cleric is a life cleric, and had access to about 10 temp HP and is a hill dwarf with tough so he has high HP. He got the Phoenix down to 1 hp, and then the wizard used magic missile and stole his kill(much to everyone's general amusement).
The barbarian handled the storm giant and just kept chipping away at its health.
The monk has 39 AC(please don't ask me how I'm not explaining) and managed to get on top of the terrasque, as it litterally needed a nat 20 to hit him.
He held it off till the cleric and wizard showed up and managed to petrify him(wizard used portent to make him fail save and he was out of legendary resists.)
And then the monk helped the barbarian finish the giant.
They're going to be fighting a several thousand HP goddess soon, and they've been learning amazing team tactics and utilizing their NPC artificer.

col_impact
2019-12-30, 04:18 PM
Demi litch didn't have lair actions, and the wizard dumped magic charges from an item to cast lowest level summon celestial. Then used cloud of daggers until it died.
The cleric is a life cleric, and had access to about 10 temp HP and is a hill dwarf with tough so he has high HP. He got the Phoenix down to 1 hp, and then the wizard used magic missile and stole his kill(much to everyone's general amusement).
The barbarian handled the storm giant and just kept chipping away at its health.
The monk has 39 AC(please don't ask me how I'm not explaining) and managed to get on top of the terrasque, as it litterally needed a nat 20 to hit him.
He held it off till the cleric and wizard showed up and managed to petrify him(wizard used portent to make him fail save and he was out of legendary resists.)
And then the monk helped the barbarian finish the giant.
They're going to be fighting a several thousand HP goddess soon, and they've been learning amazing team tactics and utilizing their NPC artificer.

Your campaign has obviously been homebrewed/modified to the point that bounded accuracy is fundamentally broken. We can't give any meaningful advice as your version of D&D bears no resemblance to the official ruleset.

moonfly7
2019-12-30, 07:40 PM
Your campaign has obviously been homebrewed/modified to the point that bounded accuracy is fundamentally broken. We can't give any meaningful advice as your version of D&D bears no resemblance to the official ruleset.

Ummm, that's kinda rude actually. And a pretty big assumption. Never in any post did I mention any homebrew besides the items in currently making and possibly refference to past ones, and the final boss. You can't just assume ludicrous homebrew because some lower level characters beat a tarrasque, it's perfectly doable, as my team proved.
Also, how does a game being homebrewed stop you offering help? One my game isn't really, and two, even if it was the core mechanics would be enough to at least come up with item suggestions.

stoutstien
2019-12-30, 08:07 PM
Ummm, that's kinda rude actually. And a pretty big assumption. Never in any post did I mention any homebrew besides the items in currently making and possibly refference to past ones, and the final boss. You can't just assume ludicrous homebrew because some lower level characters beat a tarrasque, it's perfectly doable, as my team proved.
Also, how does a game being homebrewed stop you offering help? One my game isn't really, and two, even if it was the core mechanics would be enough to at least come up with item suggestions.

We can only assume that you're home brewing based on the evidence presented.
Your wizard has an item that doesn't exist which has unknown effects on the game.

Your monk has ludicrously improbable AC

As far that we know you're partying didn't actually defeat the Phoenix. Reducing it to zero HP is mild inconvenience at best.

Also using your parties victories as proof that you are using the rules is a fallacy. it's like me saying that you are homebrewing because my party fail at the same encounter.

There's nothing insulting about pointing out that there's no way that anyone on a forum can give you an adequate baseline for magical items when we don't have a clear understanding on the current power state of the players.

What it sounds like is this party needs a challenge they can't beat with a stick.

col_impact
2019-12-30, 08:25 PM

No assumption on my part. A level 10 monk with 39 AC is ridiculous and proves all and in itself that your campaign breaks bounded accuracy and deviates to such an extent from the official ruleset that we cannot offer meaningful advice. Your campaign is completely out of balance with all D&D modules.

If you feel otherwise explain how a level 10 monk with 39 AC can even exist in D&D and then I will itemize the 'balance mistakes' you are making in your campaign.