PDA

View Full Version : one-handed weapon wielded with two hands and weapon size

Zhepna
2019-12-29, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I play a cleric in 3.5.

From my understanding, my large character can use a weapon of 1 size larger (so huge) with a -2 to touch attack and has to be wielded with two hands.

1)Is there other drawback sto use a larger weapon? I saw the informations on a forum but I have no book reference

2) If I use a huge morningstar and wielded with two hands, does the 1.5x Str bonus to damage applY?

3) I planned to also use a spear. I already had to use both hand but can I use a huge spear even If my size is large?

Thanks for the information.

Arkain
2019-12-29, 05:24 PM
I might be wrong, but my understanding is you can use a weapon of a size category above yours if the "handedness" (i.e. how many hands you normally need) still fits. It is increased by a step per size category above your own, stopping at two-handed, i.e. large longsword for a medium creature is okay, but you have to use it in two hands, large greatsword is not okay, because a medium one already requires two hands from you. So there's also an implicit limit by how much you can go beyond your own size, even with light weapons, such as daggers.

So going by that:

1) Besides the size penalty, there's also the issue that very often a larger one-handed weapon is roughly equivalent in damage to a two-handed weapon of your own size. Probably not too important, but larger weapons are also heavier.
2) Yes, it's not a finesse weapon by any means and you can wield it in two hands.
3) I'd say no, unless you're a large character with something explicitly allowing it, like say an enlarged goliath or a large creature with strongarm bracers or something like that. And as all other spears are two-handed we'd be talking about a shortspear. But I don't think you'd ask the question, if these factors applied.

Saintheart
2019-12-29, 10:24 PM
When it comes to larger weapons this part of the SRD (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm) applies:

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

So the first thing to note is that it's at least a -2 to all attacks with an inappropriately-sized weapon, not just touch attacks.

In answer to the questions:

(1) Aside from the -2 per size category of difference, there's also a nonproficiency penalty on top depending on the weapon. Not a problem with a morningstar because it's a simple weapon, i.e. something that a cleric is proficient with, but something to keep in mind.

(2) A Large morningstar would be a one-handed weapon for a Large character. Thus, a Huge morningstar becomes a two-handed weapon for that same Large character. As a two-handed weapon, you add x1.5 STR bonus to your damage rolls with it. But bear in mind that you can't wield it one-handed.

(3) In absence of any other feat or item, the answer is no. A Large spear is a two-handed weapon for a Large character. When you increase the weapon's size to Huge, the effort it takes to use such a weapon is altered by one step in the shift from Large to Huge. Per the rules above, a Huge spear becomes bigger than a two-handed weapon for you, and therefore you cannot wield the weapon at all.

animewatcha
2019-12-30, 10:04 AM
IIRC, things also get wackier when you are using like say reach weapons. How if it isn't appropriately sized for you, you can use the reach property or some such.