PDA

View Full Version : Yuan Ti backstory development

Gwyllgi
2019-12-30, 02:45 AM
I created a thread a week or so ago about how to handle a Yuan Ti character from a RPing perspective which was very helpful. But got stuck on this weird thing. In a video posted it was spoken that the Yuan Ti draw heavily from john milius' Thulsa Doom. However A lot of what the Yuan Ti come from pulp novels where weird concepts interact like psychic powers and ancient old gods. I can't think of how to make the ends meet on the "psychic alien snake man" and the "Snakeman that worships a eldritch snake god" something about psionics seems a bit too sci-fi for a cult leader of a cult that worships a sleeping snake monster.

Tzardok
2019-12-30, 07:07 AM
I created a thread a week or so ago about how to handle a Yuan Ti character from a RPing perspective which was very helpful. But got stuck on this weird thing. In a video posted it was spoken that the Yuan Ti draw heavily from john milius' Thulsa Doom. However A lot of what the Yuan Ti come from pulp novels where weird concepts interact like psychic powers and ancient old gods. I can't think of how to make the ends meet on the "psychic alien snake man" and the "Snakeman that worships a eldritch snake god" something about psionics seems a bit too sci-fi for a cult leader of a cult that worships a sleeping snake monster.

Well, there are essentially three ways you can play it:

1. The simple way:

Yuan-Ti have psionic abilities. That's a fact. Your character aknowledges that, but doesn't spare his psionic capabilities any more thought than I do for my ability to see color. It's just a background part of what makes him him (or what makes her her).

2. The cosmic horror way:

Draw inspiration from cosmic horror stories. Read Lovecraft and his ilk and incorporate how the terrible minds of sleeping gods distort and twist the minds and bodies of those they contact.

3. The censored way:

This way touches on a forbidden subject on this forum, namely real world religion. So I will say only this, for fear of inviting moderational sanctions: Read up on Helena Blavatsky and her Theosophical Society. You may find it interesting.

I hope this was helpful to you. :smallsmile:

Gwyllgi
2019-12-30, 01:02 PM
I like the "censored" way. I think the idea of a Yuan Ti being almost something greater from another time bridges the gap between psychic jazz hands and being a divine caster. Treat them as if they are interelated in universe but with different rules.

NontheistCleric
2020-01-01, 06:56 PM
3. The censored way:

This way touches on a forbidden subject on this forum, namely real world religion. So I will say only this, for fear of inviting moderational sanctions: Read up on Cassandra Blavatsky and her Theosophical Society. You may find it interesting.

Without making reference to any religious activities of the persons mentioned, I will say this: You may be thinking of Helena Blavatsky. Cassandra Blavatsky is, I believe, a background character mentioned only by name in Harry Potter.