PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Sneak Attack

carrdrivesyou
2019-12-30, 01:40 PM
So the text does not mention what TYPE of damage sneak attack is. I assumed it was of the same sort as the triggering damage: piercing for rapier, slashing for shortsword, etc.

But seeing as my rogue just got to level 7 and now has the Shadow Blade spell, I am curious if the sneak attack damage would shift to become psychic damage to match the spell. Or can I not sneak attack with that spell? Everything I have read seems to indicate it is possible.

Just looking for some clarification here.

Frozenstep
2019-12-30, 01:47 PM
Yes, the sneak attack would be psychic. It's basically increasing the damage dice of the weapon for that attack.

Ventruenox
2019-12-30, 01:50 PM
Unless specifically stated otherwise (such as the UA Revived's Bolts from the Grave), Sneak Attack is extra damage added to the weapon attack, and therefore has the same damage type as the weapon. So, Psychic Sneak Attack away there.

carrdrivesyou
2019-12-30, 02:20 PM
Brilliant. Time to go induce migraines!

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-12-31, 11:42 PM
Brilliant. Time to go induce migraines!

Change My Mind: Psychic damage is just magical bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage done inside a target's brain/brain like area.

Lunali
2020-01-01, 12:01 AM
Change My Mind: Psychic damage is just magical bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage done inside a target's brain/brain like area.

If you mean inside their mind, I'll agree. If you mean inside their brain (as in the physical thing inside their head) then no, BPS damage to the brain is still BPS damage.

CheddarChampion
2020-01-01, 12:05 AM
If you mean inside their mind, I'll agree. If you mean inside their brain (as in the physical thing inside their head) then no, BPS damage to the brain is still BPS damage.

There's also stuff like psychic scream and vicious mockery which doesn't fit that model...

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-01-01, 12:09 AM

Mind/Brain is the same thing.

There's also stuff like psychic scream and vicious mockery which doesn't fit that model...

Physically goes through their earholes and slices/bludgeons/pierces their brain/mind.

Magic.

CheddarChampion
2020-01-01, 12:35 AM
Mind/Brain is the same thing.

Physically goes through their earholes and slices/bludgeons/pierces their brain/mind.

Magic.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-01-01, 12:37 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't have to do such a thing, you're not my supervisor!

Also because brain is a synonym to mind. Literally.

CheddarChampion
2020-01-01, 12:53 AM
I don't have to do such a thing, you're not my supervisor!

Also because brain is a synonym to mind. Literally.

Well the way I see it psychic damage is metaphysical while B/P/S to the flesh in a skull is physical.
The way I use the English language, mind usually refers to something metaphysical and brain usually refers to something physical.
If you say there's no such thing as the metaphysical, perhaps psychic damage attacks the energy going between neurons.
But I don't think either of us can convince the other.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-01-01, 01:06 AM
Well the way I see it psychic damage is metaphysical while B/P/S to the flesh in a skull is physical.
The way I use the English language, mind usually refers to something metaphysical and brain usually refers to something physical.
If you say there's no such thing as the metaphysical, perhaps psychic damage attacks the energy going between neurons.
But I don't think either of us can convince the other.

Migraines are a physical sympton to a physical issue in the brain (chemical or otherwise). If psychic damage is causing a physical symptom, it's not specifically metaphysical.

Though, I'm not even sure the word metaphysical is even in 5e. Will check some other time, or I'll get bored and not check.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, except maybe synonyms are a thing, I said CMM not that I'm going to change yours. I'm just defending my position.

Psychic damage is magical BPS. Same with Force for that matter.

CheddarChampion
2020-01-01, 01:24 AM
Though, I'm not even sure the word metaphysical is even in 5e.

Souls and magic are both not physical.
Unless you're taking the "Magic is just science we don't understand" stance, which 5e doesn't seem to take.

AFAIK if you post "CMM" you don't have to defend your viewpoint. Just see if you view an argument in favor of another viewpoint as valid. I do not mean my posts as attacks to your viewpoint.

But this sounds like it's heading towards an argument (if it isn't already). I could be wrong... but have a happy new year.

djreynolds
2020-01-01, 01:31 AM
Hit points are more than just meat.

I would assume viscous mockery takes away some confidence, and portion of your HP is your confidence, your mojo

I mean you can be handing aneurisms and headaches and strokes also