PDA

View Full Version : 5e pls peach this Artificer Subclass I made from a class I published a while back

BerzerkerUnit
2019-12-30, 05:39 PM
Very rough, I’ll format it later.

Artificer Specialization: High Sinner

Bonus Proficiencies:
Martial Weapon Proficiency
Tinker’s tools or one other if you already have this Proficiency.

Bonus Spell Preparation

1 Thunderous Smite, Animal Friendship
2 Locate Animals/Plants, Silence
3 Feign Death, Stinking Cloud
4 Locate Creature, Deathward
5 Hold Monster, Awaken

Specialization Features
Prototype

At the end of a long rest you can choose 1 nonartifact weapon with the two-handed and/or Heavy property and convert it into the technomagical marvel known as Sinner’s Gear. If the chosen weapon is magical , its normal magical properties are suppressed until you use this feature on a different weapon, or the device falls into disrepair.

These massive weapons are designed to bring down the mightiest foes. As a Sinner’s Gear the weapon deals an additional die of its damage. Any character proficient with the base weapon can wield your Sinner’s Gear however the additional damage is limited to a d4 in any hands but your own.

While very potent, Sinner’s Gear occasionally require maintenance when they outperform specification. See the Disrepair and Backlash sidebar.

Disrepair and Backlash
Whenever a Sinner’s Gear deals a critical hit it falls into disrepair, functioning as a normal weapon of its type until you spend an action to perform maintenance (sharpening blades and tightening screws). You can prevent the weapon from entering disrepair by absorbing the shock with your own body. This backlash damage is equal to the highest result among the rolled damage dice.

For example: if a Great Sword were the base the rolled damage would normally be 3d6. If the dice of a critical hit came up 5,5,4,3,1,1, the backlash would be 5.

Sinner’s Gear can benefit from the infusions detailed below.

Drive Attacks

At 5th level you learn to temporarily draw out the maximum potential of a Sinner’s Gear allowing you to perform Drive Attacks. As an action you can perform a Drive Attack affecting an area. Targets must succeed on a Dexterity Saving Throw or suffer the damage of your attack.
All Sinner’s Gear can perform a Drive Charge.
Which Drive Attacks you can perform depends on the weapon your Sinner’s Gear is based on.
Great Sword/Great Axe/Maul/Halberd can all perform the Smash and Reaver Drive Attacks.
Pike can perform the Thrust Drive Attack.
Bows and Crossbows can perform the Pierce and Blast Drive Attacks
The Draigshot can perform Pierce and Burst Drive attacks.
Your Sinner’s Gear always enters a state of disrepair when a Drive Attack is used unless you choose Backlash Damage.

Drive Attack Descriptions
Smash: 10ft cube adjacent to wielder
Reaver: 15ft cube centered on wielder
Pierce: 30ft line originating at wielder
Blast: 30ft cone originating at wielder(requires 6 ammo)
Thrust: up to 30ft line originating at the wielder, wielder moves with the attack and ends in a space adjacent to attack’s end point
Arc: A line of any shape can be drawn within the weapon’s short range
Burst: A 15ft cube within range
Hazard: A 5ft cube in range, the weapon lingers in the area until the beginning of your next turn when it returns to your space. Creatures that enter the area or start their turn there must make the saving throw against your Drive Attack or again suffer full damage on a failure or half on a success

Overtune

Beginning at 9th level you can Overtune your Sinner’s Gear, you may choose to have it deal a critical hit when you roll a 19. Additionally, it roars and whines when you perform Drive Attacks and targets must succeed on a Wisdom Save vs your Spell DC or become frightened for 1 minute. Affected targets can repeat the saving throw at the end of their turn.

Extra Attack

Beginning at level 15 you may now attack twice when you take the attack action on your turn instead of once.

New Infusions

Elemental Ignition Shells
Requires level 6
This infusion creates an elemental delivery system that can can be mounted on any weapon. It stores a number of shells equal to the creator’s Intelligence modifier. The type of energy the Shells contain is determined at the time of their creation.

Multimodal Weapon
This Infusion can be applied to any two weapons. The two combine into a single device which functions as one weapon until a bonus action is used to transform it into the other. If one of these weapons is magical and the other is not, the latter weapon becomes magical for the duration of their pairing, however it lacks any special properties or bonuses of the first weapon. If either weapon is made into a Sinner’s Gear, the other is as well.

Shock Absorption
This infusion is often part of a set of counterweights and springs. It is designed to reduce the strain of wielding Sinner’s Gear. Reduce the backlash damage of any Sinner’s Gear by half to a minimum of 1.

Taboo Shattering Schema
Requires Level 11
This infusion transforms a set of leatherworking or alchemist tools into a storage system for creature parts.
As an action, you can make a DC 15 Alchemy Lab or leatherworking tool check to preserve parts from the corpse of any non-humanoid that’s been dead for less than 1 minute. You can keep an inventory of up to 5 different creatures. Beyond 5, preserving a new creature component requires you to eliminate one of the others.
When you create a Sinner’s Gear with your Prototypes feature you can incorporate one of these parts into your weapon.
As an action you can cause your weapon to replicate one of the creature’s Actions (excluding Multiattack). Use your own attack bonus or Spell save DC but all other aspects of the Action duplicate those found in the creature’s entry.
In the event the attack has an ongoing effect such as the grappling coils of a Giant Constrictor Snake or Petrification of a Cockatrice, it persists until the target ends the effect or dies.
You can use this effect once and the component becomes inert until you complete a long rest.
Using this ability causes your Sinner’s Gear to undergo a wild transformation, twisting its form and sheathing it in the flesh and spiritual elements of the creature incorporated. It may grow eyes, teeth, or stretch unnaturally to form tentacles as necessary. After using this ability it falls into a state of Disrepair and you cannot take Backlash Damage to prevent it.

New Equipment and Common Magic Items

Smoke Grenade- 10gp. You can detonate one of these devices at your feet as a bonus action to create a 15ft cube of of heavily spiced smoke that lingers in its space for 1 minute unless moved by weak winds (traveling 10ft per round) or dispersed by a moderate or strong winds. The smoke provides total concealment. Creatures that enter the cloud that track by scent have disadvantage on all checks to track for 1 hour.
Compass Beacon- 1500gp. This item typically looks like a 3 ft long steel cylinder capped with a gemstone of some kind. Compasses can be attuned to the gemstone and will always point to it if they are within 1 mile. Each additional compass increases the cost of this item by 150gp.
High Grade Ration- 10gp. these nutrition dense wafers are filled with a proprietary blend of dried monster entrails and bone meal that enhance the body’s ability to recover from fatigue. Each High Grade Ration contains a full day’s worth of nutrients and allows you to treat 4 hours of sleep like 8. You can only benefit from 1 high grade ration per day. They’re better with hot sauce.
Auto-Grapple- 50gp. As an action you fire a grappling claw at a target up to 40 feet away and the device immediately reels you to the target. If you fire at an unsecured object weighing less than you, the object is pulled to you instead. You can use this device 5 times before it needs to be replaced. The DM may require an Athletics check to determine if you hit a small or moving target. If the target is a creature, it opposes the roll with Athletics or Acrobatics as normal.
Sleep Poison- 30gp. This toxin is similar to what the Drow use but maintains its effects whether inhaled, injected or ingested. An exposed creature must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution save or fall asleep. This is not a magical slumber, persistent loud noise or disturbance will awaken the creature at the end of its next turn.

Longarm
This weapon is composed of a cored steel cyclinder and a wooden stock. An iron shot the size of a walnut is placed in the cylinder with a packed alchemical mixture that detonates to propel the shot at remarkable speed.
The accuracy of these weapons varies depending on quality but the most common are accurate out to 120 feet. The damage is 1d12 piercing. They have the 2 handed, heavy, and loading properties. And a minimum strength requirement of 13. If a creature does not meet the minimum strength required attacks are made with disadvantage.

Garfunion
2019-12-30, 06:22 PM
There is a lot going on in this archetype and it’s hard to pin down the core elements of it.

What is the story behind this class?

Edit: After reading and rereading what do you have posted this really sounds more like a paladin archetype. Simply re-skin the paladin to look more Artificer-y.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-12-31, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your response.

The class was basically “Capcom’s Monster Hunter: the class.”

The problems with your recommendation is manifold. The Paladin becomes impossibly MAD needing Strength, Charisma, Con, and Int b/c I don’t think “you invent giant weapons to beat things with” goes well with Int as a dump stat or 4th in priority. Paladin also has access to a bunch of Paladin spells that make no sense for the archetype while Web, Snare, etc all provide the feel of MH traps and consumables to one degree or another. A homunculus can function as a fine Palico too.

Additionally, bolting this on to any class that gets extra Attack at 5 might be problematic for some DMs since Sinner’s Great Axe deals 2d12. MCing is an optional rule, I routinely ban it for specific archetypes with narrative justifications “this patron is jealous, that archetype demands too much commitment to divide focus, this god demands zealots as priests).

Garfunion
2019-12-31, 11:11 AM
What about the Ranger class with an expanded spell list.
Also you should tone down the damage. Even the monster hunter archetype only get an extra 1d6 on the first hit each of their turns.
Also you don’t need to be that smart to make weapons.

The Artificer artillerist or battlesmith could also be re-skinned.

Sorry I’m not being as helpful as you would like, I’m just trying to get a handle on what you want to create.
All I know is there is a lot going on with this archetype. I’ll read up on the monster hunter class to try and better understand what you are trying to make.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-12-31, 01:59 PM
I appreciate the critique. It helps me focus my attention on strengths and weaknesses of the concept to defend or alter them.

I agree, it’s a busy subclass but can be summed up as “Artificer that makes ridiculous giant mechanic weapons.”

to help clear things up:
Monster Hunter is a series of video games by capcom. The High Sinner Class and the Kaiju Fight! Supplement (free) was published on DMsguild and designed to represent the PCs from those games.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/267700

For Ranger, again, MAD is a problem as are the general themes of the class being in stark contrast to the theme of the subclass. “Guy who makes magical tinker weapons continuing to tinker and make other magic widgets” dovetails much better than “guy that lives in woods and roams around makes big magical tinker weapons.”

If you see the kind of weapons Sinner’s Gear is intended to represent, the need for high Int might be more apparent.

https://www.siliconera.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/iceborneweapon7.jpg?_gl=1*znhp98*_ga*YW1wLVp0QnBjQ jFRVUlLVllWNm50bldIX0NOdXZlM2pteEVIR2drRUJ5VVVkOWh HQjVpYUFLYV9DVDJESHBQR3pzVVA.

Most would argue (correctly) that in general, Paladin and Ranger are stronger classes than Artificer, so there’s no mechanical benefit to cleaving to Artificer, it just does a much better job of supporting the themes of the subclass.

The high damage of the Sinner’s Gear takes into account that This subclass doesn’t get a pet the way Artillerist and Battlesmith do.

the Artificer Class makes 1 Attack per round and does not have benefit of hunter’s mark or a fighting style to boost the damage. The lack of extra attack prevents a PAM/GWM Artificer from overtaking Warrior counterparts while the Drive Charge and Drive attacks present some unique tactical options, extending “spell-like” combat options (AoE, Save based offense vs high AC targets) without consuming the artificer’s limited spell resources.

Disrepair and Backlash are a further limitation on DPR, which is intended.

The level 15 feature of extra attack I feel compares satisfactorily with 2 cannons that deal 3d8 as a bonus action.

Garfunion
2019-12-31, 04:31 PM
For Ranger, again, MAD is a problem as are the general themes of the class being in stark contrast to the theme of the subclass. “Guy who makes magical tinker weapons continuing to tinker and make other magic widgets” dovetails much better than “guy that lives in woods and roams around makes big magical tinker weapons.”
That’s why I keep saying you can re-skin what the class looks like. I always think of a class name and its description as a guideline on how to role play it. For example a paladin with all of its unique smite spells, you could re-skin it to be a swordmage.

Most would argue (correctly) that in general, Paladin and Ranger are stronger classes than Artificer, so there’s no mechanical benefit to cleaving to Artificer, it just does a much better job of supporting the themes of the subclass.

The high damage of the Sinner’s Gear takes into account that This subclass doesn’t get a pet the way Artillerist and Battlesmith do.
But both of those archetypes have a bonus action ability to do more damage.

Disrepair and Backlash are a further limitation on DPR, which is intended. This is just a bad mechanic that just isn’t going to happen as often as you think.

The level 15 feature of extra attack I feel compares satisfactorily with 2 cannons that deal 3d8 as a bonus action.
There are no other sub classes that do this and it seems pretty late in the character progression to provide such a feature, unless it’s a base class feature.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use.

Garfunion
2019-12-31, 04:45 PM
First question is, are you using the Artificer in the new Eberron: Rise From The Last War?

Next going to your features step by step.

Bonus proficiency: The Artificer is already proficient with tinker tools might I suggest smith’s tools instead. Proficiency in martial weapons is ok.

Bonus spells
I’m not really sure about these however I would suggest picking spells that are more universal for melee and range. For example instead of thunderous smite perhaps use ensnaring strike or zephyr strike then branding smite at 2nd level spell.

Prototype
This feature just doesn’t seem right. An extra weapon die of damage. To keep it simple I would simply suggest when you hit a creature with a magic weapon it deals an extra 1d8 damage. This extra damage can only occur once per turn.

Driver attack
Seems to be pretty close to you casting a spell or even function similar to a smite/spell.

Overtune
It’s basically a fear spell or wrathful smite spell.

Extra attack
It’s just too late in the character progression to provide such a feature.

New infusions
Elemental ignition shells: this to me is just the elemental weapon spell or flame arrow spell.

Multimodal Weapon: the ability to split a large weapon into smaller version of the weapon is interesting but because the archetype doesn’t provide a two weapon fighting style it’s almost worthless.

Shock Absorption: this infusion was solely created in order to offset the bad prototype disrepair mechanic.

Taboo Shattering Schema: this is an overly complicated bag of holding with gentle repose spell.

I’m not sure about the new equipment.

I strongly suggest that you re-look at the paladin class. Just because the paladin class has spells that a sinner would normally not use doesn’t mean you have to use them.

aimlessPolymath
2019-12-31, 07:31 PM
Hmmm...
If the main intent is to emulate Monster-Hunter style combat, I'd consider a rogue archetype. Instead of having weapons that deal +1d damage, the benefit of modified weapons would be that Sneak Attack damage could be dealt even without advantage, and with non-finesse weapons. It's significantly lower-variance than a die whose size varies with the weapon type, and is almost always in lockstep with the existing rogue's damage.

Later levels would provide the drive attacks, sacricifing 2d6 damage(say) to attack everyone in an area.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-12-31, 08:42 PM
Rogue might have a desireable flat number escalation but without the Artificer spells and infusions modeling the rest of MH game mechanics is rather difficult.