PDA

View Full Version : Idea for assimilate, the 9th level psionic power

Eldhrimer
2019-12-31, 04:37 AM
I was planning a cerebremancer build, ardent/focused conjurer, selecting powers for my list, and when I reached assimilate an idea struck me. Could it be possible to summon a weak monster to assimilate and gain the +4 ability bonuses?

There are 2 problems I can think of:
1. The target of the power says "a living creature", which I don't know for sure if a summoned creature is.
2. The text says the creature is killed when reaches 0 hp, contrary to a summoned monster who returns to wherever it was.

Any insights on this possibility?

Kris Moonhand
2019-12-31, 05:32 AM
Summoned creatures, barring summoning undead or constructs, are alive. Summoned creatures can't die, only called creatures can actually die.

Eldhrimer
2019-12-31, 02:41 PM
Then, as I thought, it could be possible to (ab)use is? I mean +4 untyped to all stats for one hour at the cost of a Summon Monster I is amazing.

Rebel7284
2019-12-31, 04:15 PM
Then, as I thought, it could be possible to (ab)use is? I mean +4 untyped to all stats for one hour at the cost of a Summon Monster I is amazing.

Assimilate is a 9th level power. While you certainly can use it as a buff spell, that's a lot of power points for a pretty short duration buff. I guess it's fine if you're allowed to use one of the several power point recharge tricks. Not that great otherwise.