PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is starting in NPC class enough exchange for +1 LA?

MercuryAlloy
2019-12-31, 11:21 AM
So...

If PC paling race with LA+1, could he instead of normal rules start as 1st LVL of NPC class as race with LA+0, and instead of 2nd level get 1st level PC class for the same amount exp? Would you consider that balanced?

liquidformat
2019-12-31, 11:34 AM
depending on what race I tend to think RHD equal to LA might work though that really depends on the rhd; as for NCP classes as long as they aren't taking magewright or adept it should also work.

MercuryAlloy
2019-12-31, 12:06 PM
I mean races like aasmiar with 0 HD.

Troacctid
2019-12-31, 01:24 PM
I don't expect it to cause any serious problems. Keep in mind that it is definitely asymmetrical in the type of character it benefits—being a level behind is a much bigger cost for a sorcerer than it is for a barbarian. That said, the same is true for the existing LA rules, so, like, eh.

smasher0404
2019-12-31, 03:35 PM
It is definitely strictly better than the normal process for LA: Netting you more HP and skill points than you would normally get. Whether it is "balanced" I'd argue depends on the OP level and starting level of the group.

Compare a Level 1 Dwarf Fighter vs a Level 1 Goliath Warrior:

You Lose:
Dwarf racial bonuses (bonuses related to working with stone, resisting poison and fighting goblinoids etc)
Ability to move full speed in heavy armor
1 HP on Average
-2 Dex (potential -1 to AC, -1 to initiative and reflex saves and -1 to Dex based skills)
1 Fighter Bonus Feat

You Gain:
Powerful Build (count as effectively large for a lot of things, including a +4 to most combat maneuvers and the ability to wield larger weapons)

+4 Strength (+2 to-hit and +2-+3 to damage and +2 most combat manuevers and +2 to STR-based skills)

Monstrous Humanoid-type (useful for a lot of shenanigans)

Overall: the Goliath hits harder and fights better than the "equivalent" Dwarf in exchange for some situational bonuses, and the ability to move full speed in armor. From a low-OP perspective this can potentially unbalance the game. As you get higher in level or in optimization level, this difference becomes smaller. If this is a houserule you are considering for your group, I'd look at what sort of characters they normally build

magic9mushroom
2020-01-01, 03:18 AM
stuff

You're kinda underrating dwarves there. +2 vs. all spells and SLAs is not a little deal, and the Weapon Familiarity cuts down on the gulf with Powerful Build.

Also, note that Warrior is not a favoured class for Goliath (or anybody), so the XP penalty rears its head if the Goliath takes any other base class than his favoured one (IIRC Barbarian), while this isn't an issue for the dwarf.