PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Custom Backgrounds and Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica Guild Spells

Expected
2020-01-01, 07:05 AM
I am about to play a new character (a Shepherd Druid) and I have questions about character creation since the release of GGTR that I haven't been able to find the answer to:

If I make a custom background using the guidelines in the PHB or Basic Rules (I can't remember which), can I select a set of guild spells to go with it?
If not, can I make a custom version of the guild background allowing me to keep the guild spells but choosing my own skill/tool/language proficiencies?
If I am allowed to choose guild spells, can I mix and match any spell published under the GGTR guild spells?

Ideally, I'd like to choose my own skill and tool proficiencies and background feature while also retaining the Azorious Functionary guild spells (for Counterspell), but if it isn't legal by RAW/RAI, I don't mind having less useful proficiencies.

JackPhoenix
2020-01-01, 07:13 AM
Ask your GM. GGtR backgrounds do not follow standards set by the PHB. The spells are something no other background gives.

stoutstien
2020-01-01, 07:19 AM
May i suggest using the mark of sentinel race in combination with the custom background rules.
IMO it's a few levels lower in terms of cringe.

Gignere
2020-01-01, 07:47 AM
If you don’t pick a guild background that just means you don’t start out in a guild. If you’re starting at level 1 this might mean you just need to join a guild after game starts.

I believe or at least I’d rule if you join the guild during the game you’d still gain the guild spells, but not the other benefits of the background.

Now if the game starts at a higher level it can be just a part of your early career and background.