PDA

View Full Version : Constructs & Magic Immunity At Low Levels

BlackOnyx
2020-01-01, 07:47 AM
For those who might be more familiar with constructs (esp. golems), are there any constructs with magic immunity (Ex) that can be crafted/created at CL 6 or lower?

Flesh golems (CL 8) are about the closest I've been able to find.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-01-01, 01:19 PM
Will o' wisps are ECL 6. Are there any templates you could add, other than effigy creature, since that strips the magic immunity? If nothing else, you could raise it as undead, I guess.

ShurikVch
2020-01-01, 02:40 PM
Dragon #341 have "Golems, Lesser" article; Paper, Tin, Wax, and Wood Golems are all required just CL 5 (and all have some form of Magic Immunity)

PraxisVetli
2020-01-02, 12:24 AM
Isn't the Calzone Golem CR3?

tiercel
2020-01-02, 03:19 AM
Isn't the Calzone Golem CR3?

It is CR 3 but requires CL 9, unfortunately.

Plus: spending 10000gp (and XP) on a creature that you will almost certainly permanently lose control of the first time it enters melee. Plus: fighting your enemies with, basically, pizza. (A calzone golem should presumably cause combatants to make Will saves vs disbelief :p )

——

Side note: magic immunity doesn’t actually mean immunity to magic; in addition to any golem’s designated “exception spells,” SR: No spells will own a golem (and its generally garbage saves) just fine.

Thurbane
2020-01-03, 04:51 PM
Wax Golem (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ch/ch20001218b) only requires CL 5th, but unfortunately specifically lacks magic immunity.

Blood Golem (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020731x) requires a "blood magus of at least 4th level", so too high.

Side note: magic immunity doesn’t actually mean immunity to magic; in addition to any golem’s designated “exception spells,” SR: No spells will own a golem (and its generally garbage saves) just fine.

Arguably, un-updated 3.0 Golems, including the Epic ones, have full magic immunity, regardless of whether the spell allows SR or not. I mean, a common sense ruling would bring it in line with 3.5 Golems, but RAW is debatable.

Magic Immunity (Ex)
An adamantine golem is immune to all magical and supernatural effects.

tiercel
2020-01-04, 01:14 PM
Arguably, un-updated 3.0 Golems, including the Epic ones, have full magic immunity, regardless of whether the spell allows SR or not. I mean, a common sense ruling would bring it in line with 3.5 Golems, but RAW is debatable.

Huh, I suppose that’s a fair point - I so seldom look at 3.0 material myself (and track what has, hasn’t been updated) that it’s a distinction I didn’t think about — while relatively minor in scope, the magic “immunity” downgrade is one of my pet peeves about 3.0 -> 3.5. (Especially the prospect of a “magic immune” golem, within an antimagic field no less, getting brute-force hammered to destruction by magic thanks to allegedly SR: No orbs of nonmagical magical force, for example.)

flappeercraft
2020-01-04, 10:01 PM
Elder Eidolons can be created at any CL. The minimum CL is equal to the HD you create it at.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-01-05, 01:39 AM
Dang, I was thinking Equine Golem would work, but it requires a full CL 12. Does have complete 3.0 magic immunity though, for those interested in a hard-to-bespell mount.

BlackOnyx
2020-01-05, 03:06 AM
Elder Eidolons can be created at any CL. The minimum CL is equal to the HD you create it at.

Oooh. Some good suggestions from everyone, but this one is perfect. I generally prefer to run "first party WoTC sans Dragon Magazine & web articles" content in my campaigns, so having something from LoM is perfect.

As a template, that really adds some nice versatility into the mix.

Yeah, I tend to go with the "when in doubt, apply 3.5e changes" ruling as well. If nothing else, it keeps things consistent.

...while relatively minor in scope, the magic “immunity” downgrade is one of my pet peeves about 3.0 -> 3.5. (Especially the prospect of a “magic immune” golem, within an antimagic field no less, getting brute-force hammered to destruction by magic thanks to allegedly SR: No orbs of nonmagical magical force, for example.)

Yeah...that's an unfortunate side effect. "Magic? What magic?" was originally their shtick, after all.

At the very least, the updated "infinite SR" variant can still make an unprepared/improperly focused caster sweat for a bit. Gives some of the players with supernatural powers (a la warlocks binders) a chance to shine, too.

ShurikVch
2020-01-05, 07:06 AM
Note: Elder Eidolon - regardless of monster's HD - still required at least CL 5: Craft Construct prerequisite is Craft Magic Arms and Armor (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#craftMagicArmsAndArmor)
If you need lower CL, you would need to stick with Ravenloft Dread Constructs (don't required casting at all)

... the magic “immunity” downgrade is one of my pet peeves about 3.0 -> 3.5. (Especially the prospect of a “magic immune” golem, within an antimagic field no less, getting brute-force hammered to destruction by magic thanks to allegedly SR: No orbs of nonmagical magical force, for example.)It was inevitable: that old ruling should be gone ASAP, because it teared away "High Fantasy" wrapping of D&D, and exposed its Looney Tunes innards (magic-immune Golem walks on air above magical-created pit, "Because - magic, and Golem is immune!")

Vizzerdrix
2020-01-05, 08:23 AM

Oh those are nice. Very nice. That would be a fun template to toss on some weasels.

Bohandas
2020-01-06, 12:27 PM
At the very least, the updated "infinite SR" variant can still make an unprepared/improperly focused caster sweat for a bit. Gives some of the players with supernatural powers (a la warlocks) a chance to shine, too.

Actually I think that last part is the bit that takes the revision too far. They ought to also be immune to anything that magically duplicates the effect of a spell that allows SR.

And in any case, warlock invocations are spell-lime abilities, not supernatural abilities

BlackOnyx
2020-01-06, 04:37 PM
And in any case, warlock invocations are spell-lime abilities, not supernatural abilities

Ah, slip of the finger-tongues. Binder is the class I'd meant to reference.

Actually I think that last part is the bit that takes the revision too far. They ought to also be immune to anything that magically duplicates the effect of a spell that allows SR.

Not a bad idea. At the very least though, supernatural abilities are a *tad* harder for PCs to come by. It typically takes a bit more race, feat, and/or class focus to pick them up in any significant number. (Resources that could potentially be put toward advancing the more common/versatile spells & spell-likes out there.)