View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5 need a way to get Knowledge domain / devotion

samduke
2020-01-01, 11:02 PM
3.5 need a way to get Knowledge domain / devotion as the title suggests...

Is there a way to get the Knowledge Domain & to allow the Knowledge devoion feat.

Here is the catch, can not be a Caster (divine,arcane or psionic)

most 3.0/3.5 sources are allowed

Troacctid
2020-01-01, 11:06 PM
Are your normal level-up feat slots unavailable?

samduke
2020-01-02, 03:18 AM
on the subject of available feat slots - related to the Knowledge devotion feat, because some numskull put (Knowledge Devotion, Domain), the Domain bit right after it, the gm is requiring the Domain first before being able to get the feat.

Edit so is there a way to get any domain period without a Caster (divine,arcane or psionic) class / prc

NontheistCleric
2020-01-02, 03:29 AM
The Planar Touchstone feat will allow you to gain the base power of the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook p. 166), which grants access to any single cleric domain power.

However, it doesn't actually say you gain the domain, just the power... So this may be of limited use to you.

samduke
2020-01-02, 09:02 AM
The Planar Touchstone feat will allow you to gain the base power of the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook p. 166), which grants access to any single cleric domain power.

However, it doesn't actually say you gain the domain, just the power... So this may be of limited use to you.

well I do not know if planar travel to The Fortress of Disciplined Enlightenment on the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus is an option in the game.
Resting on its own separate cog on the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus, ... Base Ability: Choose a cleric domain; you gain the granted power of that domain. yeah gaining a granted power is not the same as the domain itself.

any other ideas?

Vizzerdrix
2020-01-02, 09:36 AM
I had an idea to access domains in another thread. I don't know if it will work, and it requires UA generic classes.

"Hmm... I wonder how many hoops I need to jump through to get divine casting onto the generic classes before 6th level. Maybe some combination of magical training, precocious apprentice, and southern magician? If I can pull it off, I can grab turning at 6th, and then use that to fuel domain feats." ~me

If you can get any form of divine casting, you can use the generic classes to get domains.

ShurikVch
2020-01-02, 10:05 AM
If you're OK to endure LA +2, then Divinity unique ability (Dungeon Master's Guide II) may give you one domain along with sacred(/profane) bonus to attack/initiative, skills, or saves

yeah gaining a granted power is not the same as the domain itself.

any other ideas?Check the Glossary (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_domain&alpha=):
A granted power and a set of nine divine spells (one each of 1st through 9th level) themed around a particular concept and associated with one or more deities. The available domains are: Air, Animal, Chaos, Death, Destruction, Earth, Evil, Fire, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Law, Luck, Magic, Plant, Protection, Strength, Sun, Travel, Trickery, War, and Water.Domain is literally just "granted power + spells", and you don't need spells by virtue of not being a spellcaster

Crake
2020-01-02, 11:48 AM
Why not just point your DM to the section of complete divine where it explains how domain feats work, and how you DONT need the domain to get the feat?

samduke
2020-01-02, 01:10 PM
If you're OK to endure LA +2, then Divinity unique ability (Dungeon Master's Guide II) may give you one domain along with sacred(/profane) bonus to attack/initiative, skills, or saves

Check the Glossary (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_domain&alpha=):Domain is literally just "granted power + spells", and you don't need spells by virtue of not being a spellcaster

This while a bit hefty LA+2 is the answer a cleric domain without being a caster. because we do not care about casting the domain spells just access to the devotion feat.

Why not just point your DM to the section of complete divine where it explains how domain feats work, and how you DONT need the domain to get the feat?

Because in the grand scheme of all things D&D the GM is god and their rules override the rules of the books, so said the makers of the game.
edit and in this instance its a syntax notation that the GM said no I require the domain to get the devotion feat

Troacctid
2020-01-02, 03:00 PM
well I do not know if planar travel to The Fortress of Disciplined Enlightenment on the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus is an option in the game. yeah gaining a granted power is not the same as the domain itself.

any other ideas?
You only need to physically travel to the touchstone to unlock the higher-order ability. To unlock the base ability, you only need a touchstone key OR sufficient ranks in Knowledge.

Thurbane
2020-01-02, 03:16 PM
Since your DM is imposing houserules anyway, see if he will let you chug a Domain Draught (MIC p.156) before you level up and select the feat.

Upon drinking a domain draught, you gain access to its domain for 24 hours.

...in most games, 24 hours should be long enough to level up. Technically, if the DM is citing having the domain as an additional requisite for the feat, you may lose access to using the feat once the Draught wears off. But again, since we're in houesrules territory, see if the DM is open to the idea.

Alternatively, here's some other ways to get domains - there may be some that don't require casting:

Bonus Domains

Church Inquisitor 1, ecl 4, Complete Divine – Inquisition
Contemplative 1, 6/10, ecl 11, Complete Divine – Any one
Divine Oracle 1, ecl 6 Complete Divine – Oracle
Radiant Servant of Pelor 5, ecl 11, Complete Divine – Glory or Purification
Rainbow Servant 1, 4, 7/10, Complete Divine – Good, Air, Law (in that order)
Seeker of the Misty Isle 1, 7/10, Complete Divine – Travel, Magic
Temple Raider of Olidammara 10, Complete Divine – Luck
Warpriest 1, ecl 6, Complete Divine – Glory or Domination
Holt Warden 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, plant
Ordained Champion 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, war domain or any other by your deity

Sovereign Speaker 1-9/9, ecl 6, Faiths of Eberron – *9 bonus Domains* (1 per level), selection restrictions, see text
Singer of Concordance 2, ecl 7, Races of the Dragon - choose from: dragon, healing, knowledge, magic, strength, travel, wealth
Cloistered Cleric 1, Unearthed Arcana - Knowledge Domain, plus any two others as a standard Cleric

Divine Disciple 4, ecl ?, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3.0) – any one of your diety’s Domains
Dracolyte 1, ecl 6, Draconomicon - Glory or Domination
Wavekeeper 1, ecl 6, Stormwrack, choose: Blackwater, Ocean, Storm or Water
Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Arachnomancer 1, ecl 6, Drow of the Underdark, spider domain
Swift Wing 1, ecl 5, Dragon Magic - Dragon
Earthshaker 1, ecl 9, Dragon 314 p.58, Earth domain

Faiths and Pantheons
Wearer of Purple 1 – one bonus Domain from the following; Death, Evil or Scalykind (requires Iron Will, Spell Focus (necromancy))
Gondsman 3 – one bonus Domain from the following; Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal or Planning (requires Craft Wondrous Item, Skill Focus (craft))
Horned Harbringer 1 – Death
Auspician 1 – Fate (requires Dodge, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes)
*Windwalker 1 – Air and Travel Domain spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)
*Waveservant 1 – Ocean spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)
*Silverstar 1 – Moon Domain spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)

Special Mention
Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment), feat, Planar Handbook, gain access to a domain power and spells, see text
Heretic of Faith, feat, Power of Faerun (p.46), stray from your path, exchange domain spells, etc, see text

Crake
2020-01-03, 09:58 AM
Because in the grand scheme of all things D&D the GM is god and their rules override the rules of the books, so said the makers of the game.
edit and in this instance its a syntax notation that the GM said no I require the domain to get the devotion feat

Sounds like he's just misinterpreted the rules that he's trying to use as intended, rather than an intentional houserule he's trying to impose, meaning if you explained to him how the rules actually are meant to work he'd change his stance. That said, I may just be me misreading the situation and he is intentionally changing things from the way they're meant to be, in which case, I'm not sure the domain feats are really worth it.

Thurbane
2020-01-03, 02:56 PM
Sounds like he's just misinterpreted the rules that he's trying to use as intended, rather than an intentional houserule he's trying to impose, meaning if you explained to him how the rules actually are meant to work he'd change his stance. That said, I may just be me misreading the situation and he is intentionally changing things from the way they're meant to be, in which case, I'm not sure the domain feats are really worth it.

Agreed. It is fairly easy to misread that section on Domain feats - I know when I first read it, I similarly assumed you needed access to the domain to take the feat.

Particle_Man
2020-01-03, 03:13 PM
If you keep your wisdom below 10 you could take a level of cloistered cleric and technically not be a caster because you are not in fact able to cast spells. :smallsmile: